Agree. Maybe it’s a good time for a rebrand.

I always call it the 7.30 report even long after KOB left

But there’s more than one report?

2 Likes

Friday 20 May - Special Edition

Leigh will be interviewing Anthony Albanese tonight.

2 Likes

Leigh was on The Weekly tonight, crossing from the 7.30 set to Charlie Pickering in Melbourne to talk about Saturday’s ABC election broadcast and looking back at her hosting of 7.30.

3 Likes

Joel Tozer is returning to the ABC as the new EP of 7.30. He is currently a producer on 60 Minutes.

I imagine a refresh will happen now, with him wanting to make his mark on the show.

From now on the show will have a ticking clock as part of its graphics package.

3 Likes

Perhaps however he still reports to the 730s old producer, now News boss Justin Stevens, who I would imagine wants him to continue what he has created, rather than completely shaking it up.

Possibly. Though the current look I believe is 3 years old now and with a new host joining they would want to make a visual difference from the past iteration just as they did when Sales took over.

That or not they still need to do a graphics revamp. The current ones are so dated now.

Even just something that is a closer look to the current ABC News lower thirds would be better. The teal graphics are okay but they never really seemed to reflect 7.30’s status as the corporation’s nightly, flagship current affairs show. The look always seemed more ‘timid’ than ‘agenda-setting’, and more suited to an Australian version of BBC One’s The One Show.

I also find it strange that they don’t air the show live on the ABC News channel, or give it any sort of primetime slot on the channel at all.

1 Like

Teal has been used by the show for a very long time.

The set (especially the desk) is old and needs a refresh. The rest is fine. It’s an odd situation now where the Parliament House studio that Laura uses when filling in is now nicer than the main one in Ultimo.

1 Like

I like the teal. I don’t think it needs a massive overhaul, maybe just an evolution.

I agree on the parliament set, It’s wonderful. I would be more than happy to see a new 7:30 set based on that.

So we know what is Leigh’s last date? The press release I saw with Sarah being announced was a “late June” finish up

Teal is good when used well. I think this package has dated quite quickly but if they can incorporate the colour well in the next package I wouldn’t mind teal.

Wednesday 1 June -
Laura Tingle presenting tonight.

3 Likes

Farewell to Leigh Sales – A 7.30 Special

Friday 1 July 7.30pm

From celebrities to world leaders, prime ministers, artists, writers and athletes, Leigh Sales has interviewed a remarkable variety of guests. In a 30-minute 7.30 special, Leigh looks back on some of her most memorable interviews and takes viewers behind the scenes with never-before-seen footage.

4 Likes

5 Likes

New publicity shot for the farewell special 1July.

1 Like

Leigh is on the front cover of Stellar magazine inside News Corp papers this Sunday.

EDIT 19/6: in the interview, Leigh reveals her two sons were ecstatic when she told them she would leave 7.30 at the end of June. Leigh will take six months long service leave and use the period to figure out what she wants to do next. She also says she doesn’t like “live, rolling, unscripted television” which rules herself out hosting a breakfast TV show.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/stellar/leigh-sales-breaks-her-silence-on-life-after-730/news-story/3bdf7bacd61e481c93e2eb178f7b0fc8

2 Likes