6iX Perth

I wonder what the chances of that ever happening :thinking:

Low. Kevin and Janet arenā€™t too keen to part ways with any of their empires.

3 Likes

This weekend, 6iX is doing an ā€œAwesome 80sā€ weekend.

4 Likes

I had a listen to this on 6IX for a little while today to see what their 80s selection would be like.

Definitely on the softer slower side than say WS/Gold would play ā€¦ there was no new wave and not much in the way of rockā€¦ Only one Chisel song, nothing from the Oils or INXSā€¦

They did play one Icehouse song (Street Cafe)ā€¦ and with Tina Turner they played one of her lesser known songs (Better Be Good To Me). They also played these that Iā€™ve donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard on WSā€¦

Everybodyā€™s Gotta Learn Sometime - The Korgis
Endless Love - Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
Boy From New York City - The Manhattan Transfer

3 Likes

WS did play that song before, although it was a few years ago now during their ā€œ80s Lunchā€.

As far as Capital Radio Networkā€™s stations go, XLFM/2GN/3GG play a better selection of 80s music than 6iX (as well as 2CA), in which they have ā€œAll 80s TGIFā€ on Friday nights from 7pm until Midnight.

3 Likes

A lot of music there you wouldnā€™t hear on any other Perth station. Iā€™m surprised 6iX doesnā€™t do a bit better.

3 Likes

Me too.

However, Iā€™m certain it can be explained by the poor signal of the main AM transmitter.

Listening to their ad breaks, itā€™s very regional the clients. Small businesses, few national clients and when so, only cheap agency nationwide buys. All down to the signal and lack of audience knowing where the station is.

3 Likes

Their whole brand is very regional. Iā€™ve been saying it for years, ARN should have definitely picked them up or at least got a minor share in the station to bring them across and affiliate with Pure Gold/Classic Hits. Perhaps with the way the media is going, could the laws be relaxed even more to remove the two in a market rule and they could own 96FM, 50 percent of Nova and have minor a share in 6IX?

Brand aside, I think their music is pretty good. Just a shame they donā€™t have a higher profile.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always thought 6iX is the reason for ARN making 96FM part of the KIIS Networkā€¦ to one day have Pure Gold 6iX.

1 Like

Brilliant move & brilliant strategy for 6iX to poach the solid talent that other networks reject.

Great 6IX have hired Chris Ilsley. Disappointing 6PR had no ongoing work for him.

Huge media talent, understands audiences superbly.

1 Like

Almost like wasting him on Sunday nights was a terribly short-sighted decision.

2 Likes

Wonder what the ARNā€™s purchase of Grant will mean for 6iX, will it become Pure Gold 6iX or become the new KIIS Network station in Perth?

The joint venture stations arenā€™t part of the deal so nothing happening to 6IX for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Apparently, the Joint-Venture stations between Grant & Capital (which 6iX is one of them) is not included in the sale.

1 Like

It may stay a joint venture between Grant and Capital but ARN may some how contract to provide the programming for the station and allow it to become a KIIS Station if it gets an fm conversion.

1 Like

Geelong Broadcasters Pty Limited and certain joint ventures are excluded from the transaction.

Key word is certain, meaning some joint ventures are included.
Canberra is clearly out.
Goulburn probably in.
Perth remains the unknown factor, and could depend on an arrangement being made with Nova to buy out ARNā€™s share of Nova 93.7

1 Like

I canā€™t help thinking that if Nova buy out ARNā€™s share of Nova 943.7 that somehow the opposite will have to happen with 97.3 in Brisbane. (i.e. ARN buy out NEā€™s half).

2 Likes