6iX Perth

was nice to receive 6IX a couple of times here from NSW during March on 1080AM but I can stream 6IX via my Marantz NA-8005 HiFi streamer.

2 Likes

Gary will see to that. 96 will pull 94.5 much closer to the pack.

1 Like

I wish ARN owned 6IX. It would complement 4KQ and Cruise. I know they canā€™t because they own half of Nova Perth. Perhaps Nova Ent could buy the other half of Nova 937 and ARN buy the other half 97.3 Brisbane to make up for it. 96FM and 6IX as one group would be pretty powerful against SCA.

3 Likes

50% of the profits of Nova 937 would more than 100% of the profits of 6iX, I think. Which is probably why ARN havenā€™t done anything about it.

2 Likes

Yes but donā€™t forget theyā€™re losing 50% of the profits on 97.3 which I would think might be more than 50% of Nova 93.7, or at least equivalent.

Personally (selfishly) I wish NE would buy out ARN on 97.3. I reckon theyā€™d improve 97.3

I wouldnā€™t want to lose 4KQ though

3 Likes

6iX are doing a ā€œSizzling 70sā€ weekend this weekend, starting from 9am AWST tomorrow (Saturday 2nd November). Unsure if this also applies to 2CA though (usually it does though).

On another note, Iā€™ve noticed that 6iXā€™s 105.7 translators feeds its signal off its DAB+ service, in which thereā€™s a half-second delay between DAB+ & FM. The 1080AM signal is well ahead of both DAB+ & FM, time wise.

4 Likes

How does 6IX sound quality on DAB? Not as good as 2CH? I think its only 48k?

Also I know 105.7 FM is to the north of Perth and the south on the same freq. Does it interfere with each other?

2 Likes

Correct, itā€™s only 48k.

I donā€™t think so.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s being a bit cheap using a 48k DAB feed.

Even when I was there in 2007 before DAB started, they used to have a proper stereo feed.

I can only think the ongoing cost of keeping that was more expensive than using DAB.

1 Like

Kev and Janet are the kings and queens of cost control.

3 Likes

Either they use highly directional antennas or itā€™s a synchronous transmission, like they use in Wellington NZ.

In 2018, the Wanneroo translator was fed by the DAB+ signal. Beforehand, it was done by a dedicated landline.

2 Likes

When they were located in the Fairfax building they had a 850mHz STL link to each of the translators. It probably became easier and cheaper to switch to DAB+ than setup new links when they moved to Osborne Park.

Thereā€™s quiet a gap close to the center of Perth where thereā€™s no reception from either translator, so they wouldnā€™t interfere with each other much.

2 Likes

Appropriate, since anything in the 70s (Fahrenheit) would be sizzling for denizens of Perth at the moment.

1 Like

6iXā€™s Wanneroo FM translator has been knocked out after it was hit by lightning during thunderstorms that went through Perth yesterday (Tuesday 25th February).

3 Likes

You have a photo of it intact from driving by I recall?

This is why you canā€™t hear us on 105.7FM in the Northern Suburbs.

Remarkably ill informed comments on the Facebook link, most are way off the mark.

No, that was a photo of the DAB+ infill for Perthā€™s Northern Beaches in Mindarie.

Hereā€™s a Street View image of the transmitter, taken last September.

3 Likes

@crankymedia not executing a Socratic question- one for the archives. Of course Socrates didnā€™t know the answer to most of the questions he posed :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, I couldnā€™t remember and was on a mobile device, more difficult to search.

Very funny @dxnerd, I honestly didnā€™t know that one.

1 Like

The coverage on 621 would be better within its licence area than 1080 could ever hope for in Perth.

Listeners donā€™t like flicking even if the outer areas on FM, the AM is too weak beyond the FM coverage, they shouldā€™ve gone for 10kW like PR.

PS. can someone put this in the 6IX thread? Just realised itā€™s more them than Croc

Part of the reason for it is due to the fact that ground conductivity in Perth is poor for AM propagation, due to the sandy soil draining moisture. This is why they, along with the other AM stations, are pushing for a FM conversion.

If 6iX are to convert to FM in the future, I could see Capital/Grant selling it to Nova Ent, who would then relaunch it as Smooth.

3 Likes