62nd TV Week Logie Awards 2021-22

reports suggest that the decision was influenced at least in part by the Queensland government which is providing a lot of subsidy over the term of its deal with Are Media (ex-Bauer)

1 Like

Couldn’t Are Media have persuaded the Queensland Government to extend the deal by one year instead?

The Logies are to be held in 3 months time, going from the various articles in late March. I know anything can happen between now and then though, but i think it should still go ahead in some capacity. Even a small-ish event, and go “back to normal” next year onwards.

Shows in 2019 and 2020 need some recognition, and don’t want these shows and cast going unnoticed. Or even being in contention in 2022, which is unfair.

Also, we have sadly lost some “tv legends” in the last 3 months alone, like Lorrae Desmond (1962 Gold Logie winner); Brian Henderson ( 1968 Gold Logie; 2013 Hall of Fame) and Ernie Sigley (Gold Logie 1975); as well as Dieter Brummer (1994 and 1996 Gold Logie nominee). The In Memoriam part will be an emotional one, like usual. It’s going to be one long In Memoriam :frowning:

2 Likes

Of course I personally hope they’ll be able to go ahead even in a reduced capacity. But if this year’s Logies are cancelled, surely that’s it for the event as a whole?

I agree. As things are now, it’s going to be difficult for shows which aired in July or August 2019 to get a nomination compared to titles which were running earlier this year.

Yeah, you’d probably have to run the next “In Memoriam” segment for at least 20 minutes to allow everyone a proper acknowledgement! :confused:

3 Likes

Peter Ford reporting this years’ awards have been cancelled for the second year running.

That’s disappointing if that is true. As I said in March, why can’t the Logies be held as a virtual event like the Emmy Awards last year? Also, the late November date still provides for some actors from NSW and Victoria to attend, if they are willing to go into hotel quarantine.

4 Likes

Whoever is running the show at the logies seems very lazy and uninspired. I wonder if we will ever see it again?

4 Likes

It does seem lazy but also the whole thing is just an advertising thing for TV, if sponsors aren’t interested without a big event it won’t happen. And they don’t seem interested in even running it just for industry with a small event.

3 Likes

Seven News Sydney briefly mentioned the cancellation also.

Sucks that its being cancelled.

The Logies are cancelled, but the AACTAs will go ahead, and that’s a week after the Logies. Go figure.

We need an Replacement Logies Event???

Can’t say I’m really surprised that the Logies have been cancelled for a 2nd consecutive year.

Infact, I think that may be it for the event as a whole. While the pandemic certainly hasn’t helped things over the last 18 months or so, let’s not forget that support for the Logies from both viewers and the TV industry at large has been on the decline for quite a while now.

Yep I agree.

Don’t think there’s been a particularly good Logies telecast (as opposed to a few segments here and there) in at least 15 years, possibly longer.

Alternatively, can Logies organisers just announce the winners of 2020 and 2021 awards online, and start the 2022 Logies from scratch?

3 Likes

That would be an ideal and better option.

And start fresh for next uear.

The 2021 TV WEEK Logie Awards have regrettably been cancelled, with Are Media confirming the news today.

“Unfortunately, our current COVID cases and travel restrictions leave us no choice,” continues Connolly.

“But we will return to Queensland mid-2022 and promise the TV WEEK Logie Awards will bring an overdue and deserved night of glamour, celebration and recognition of Australia’s outstanding television industry.”

The date for the 62nd TV WEEK Logie Awards at The Star Gold Coast will be announced in early 2022 – with all the action, glamour and heartwarming moments from the red carpet and awards show ceremony once again being telecast on Nine and 9Now.

1 Like

Why can’t they do it virtually? Bizarre.

5 Likes

Probably because Logies organisers want all the glitz and glamour of a traditional ceremony.

Let’s be honest, what are the chances of the Logies returning in 2022 even if we’re covid free and all vaccinated?

Today’s announcement is very unfortunate news. I really hope it returns next year, in one form or another. Also a shame that shows from mid-2019 to the end of 2020 won’t get the recognition they deserve.

1 Like

and does mean public recognition for hard work.

I’m supposed to feel something because a few TV people cant get public recognition for their work? The vast majority of the workforce doesnt get any public recognition for their work

3 Likes

Unfortunately these awards need to move back to Melbourne or Sydney.

Going by TVTonight and MediaWeek articles, the 2022 Logies eligibility will be for shows (and cast) that aired between January 1 until 31 March 2022. Which is a shame. So shows in 2019 and 2020 are snubbed. What a dig for the industry. And wonder why it is dying…

5 Likes