62nd TV Week Logie Awards 2021-22

They’ve already said Celeb GB is coming back.

But how about Tony winning. The first thing he says is contract negotiations? cause thats the only thing a logie represents to TV people, you can demand more. So will they be able to afford Hamish for Celeb GB now or even Lego Masters? I suppose his wife is doing it tough.

Have they announced anyone appearing in it, yet? Although, anyone who is cast is not necessarily contracted to the network other than as a one-off. In any case, I think it’s a Foxtel production, not Ten’s.

1 Like

Hamish revealed that he didn’t appear on Celeb Gogglebox for the money but as a favour to the producer who also makes Lego Masters. He said the he and his wife were paid $5,000 to appear. Nothing to suggest they will be asked back or whether a new cast will be recruited.

3 Likes

What I’m saying is he has no connection to channel 7 at all.

Amanda Abate did a report on The Logies and did mention Hamish’s big win.

1 Like

Rodger Corser’s daughter, Zipporah, was onstage handing out the logies to the winners. He gave her a qucik shout out when he presented an award.

The Brisbane/Gold Coast Nine News at the Logies

And Seven’s

1 Like

It wasn’t even worthy of inclusion in the award ceremony itself so a real waste of time, really. It was a flop, so they should drop it next year.

Instead, they should split the Most Outstanding Entertainment or Comedy into two separate categories for Most Outstanding Entertainment and Most Outstanding Comedy.

I think it’s fine for them to focus on their own wins rather than that of other networks.

Do we really think Hamish is actually the most popular person on Australian television though?

And do we really think the Brittany Higgins interview was the most outstanding news coverage? I mean, compared to the likes of the war in Ukraine coverage…

And for all the many hours of drama home and away produces to never get an outstanding nomination.

The examples of seven being overlooked over the years are plentiful.

It’s no surprise Seven don’t bother with it.

Might help if they made shows that made an impression on the viewers that vote. Most of the viewers who watch Seven don’t exactly vote for Logies (Home and Away excluded) so they need to try and reverse that.

Comparatively Lego Masters and Masterchef and the likes appeared to have made an impression in some way or another and the Brittany Higgins interview was pretty significant, so it that sense they won it fair and square, Hamish is well-liked by the audience compared to Sonia everywhere who despite what Seven thinks, isn’t as good as she thinks she is.

2 Likes

Hamish is well liked, but his airtime throughout the year, in my option, does not warrant the most popular person on television award.

Like he must do the most incredible job in the few weeks of on air time he gets in order to be the most popular out of everyone else on television…

Just like Samuel Johnson a few years ago when he won the Gold Logie and Most Popular Actor for his role of Molly, which aired for only 2 nights in the whole year…

Then this year, Sonia Kruger was on “everything” on Channel Seven, and didn’t win.

Quality over quantity :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s no different to how Nine and the ABC in their radio news bulletin reports about the Logies this morning focused only on their network’s wins.

I get that quite a number of people here (not referring to you TV Cynic) hate Seven as if it’s a sports team they staunchly dislike and need to keep reminding us of that. However, let’s not pretend they’re the only network that selectively reports Logies results.

It helps (as someone else mentioned last night) Lego Masters falls smack bang in the Logies voting period and that the show airs on the Logies host broadcaster who (for obvious reasons) runs a lot of promos to get viewers voting for their shows and stars compared to other networks.

3 Likes

Everyone expects each network to focus on their winners but I thought it was very poor form of Sunrise to, over a +3 hours period, to not report the winner of the Gold Logie.

This was definitely not an anti-Seven thing but against Sunrise specifically. Becasue as I posted, The Morning Show did show and discuss the Gold Logie and the 11:30 news on Seven also reported the win.

It’s not like they ignored the event or it was a brief radio news report as they had Sam Mac on the Gold Coast. Plus, it’s not as if Karl won, which might have been a bit more understandable.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter what we think, the short-list was compiled by award organisers and out of the 7 nominees it’s not hard to imagine he’d have been the most liked among them. He’s largely inoffensive, broadly liked, even if the people voting didn’t watch his show, they’d be familiar enough with who he is.

“Outstanding” is a judgement of quality, not quantity. But also for these peer-voted outstanding categories they usually rely on networks submitting a short list of titles and episodes for review. It’s not like the judging panel are viewing infinite episodes of every show that’s out there, such as Home And Away, to decide whether or not to nominate it for that category.

Again, this would most likely be subject to networks submitting reports for consideration. Unless there was a specific segment or item of coverage being submitted for consideration, the judges are not likely to consider reporting from Ukraine. Again, they’re not going to view infinite hours of news reportage to decide what to nominate.

3 Likes

Which baffles me… how did Beauty and the Geek feature in an outstanding category?

Good question :man_shrugging:

Ukraine was nominated in the same category. The time, resources and money 7 put in to Ukraine was more than any other network. I wonder whether The Project winning was more about support for Higgins herself, rather than the interview itself.

The further point is that for much of the last 2 decades 7 has been the number one network, and for a lot of that time they have won only a handful of logies.

Something doesn’t add up.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it deserves an “outstanding” award by default,. I don’t know what criteria the judging panel had but obviously they saw more merit in the Brittany Higgins interview. Maybe because it literally created a national conversation about the culture at Parliament House and our government’s treatment of women. Its impact has been massive and led to a national movement.

Seven has also had a fairly ambivalent attitude to Logies in recent years. They like it when they score a win. And I don’t know what they did this year, but in recent history the network hasn’t put a lot of effort into promoting its nominations for votes.

I don’t think there’s any great conspiracy around it. In 2019, while Seven didn’t win any Logies, Nine the Logies’ host network only won one – and it was shared with the ABC for Deborah Mailman, who’d had shows on both networks that year.

4 Likes

Let’s not forget that Seven personalities used to win Gold Logies consecutively for many years (Lisa McCune and Georgie Parker have 4 and 2 to their name respectively, in addition to the likes of Rebecca Gibney, Kate Ritchie, Rowena Wallace, Steve Vizard, John Wood and Ray Meagher, all Seven personalities). It’s not like they’ve never won anything, just that the others have shows and personalities which the people who vote (and not everyone is obliged to) are interested in.

Seven have the shows and personalities to win, but they need to make more of an effort to win viewers over, in particular the ones that vote.

4 Likes