61st TV Week Logie Awards 2019

Agree entirely

I heard Fitzy and Wippa interview Tom Gleeson this morning.

They talked about how he was being applauded by the audience but then towards the end he lost the room with some of his snipes.

He mentioned that his wife told him that they were with him when he said: ā€œIā€™m taking it as a win for comedy because comedy to me is really important.ā€ And she said he should have left the stage after that. He sounded like he regretted the fact that he hadnā€™t done that now.

2 Likes

What about something like 50% a panel of industry voters (the names of which are public) and 50% public votes to decide the awards?

1 Like

We already have about 50% Most Outstanding awards voted by a panel of industry peers and about 50% Most Popular awards voted by the public.

The issue is that people campaign for the Most Popular awards and then other people donā€™t agree with the choices. Same as a political election.

1 Like

My post was removed for some reason being inappropriate?

Yes, I understand half the awards are public and half industry but Iā€™m saying for the Gold you could have 50/50 instead of all the public. Just a thought.

I guess, but it would break with tradition. It has always been an award for Most Popular Personality.

Tom Gleisner had similar comment this morning - that by the end of the speech he had lost the room - he did earlier as well but got it back and then lost it again.

2 Likes

A friend is justifying Tomā€™s win because he has the top rating quiz show in Australia.

Just what were the figures for Hard Quiz? And how long did the season run?

They shouldnā€™t be changing the Gold Logie vote process as itā€™s always been about the Most popular personality on TV. It would be hard for a panel to judge. Although social media and online voting does open it up more to a very different result to what it was given years ago. You would have more younger voters but a lot of those voters probably couldnā€™t care too much about the Logies or the result either, hence people like Tom Gleeson winning.

Iā€™m in two minds about Tom. I think towards the end of his speech it became embarrassing the way he has made a mockery of the thing but at the same time he is right in that he is a comedian and it is his job so heā€™s taken that approach. The whole campaign however and reasons to why he won are not really in the spirit of what the Logies are about. It will be interesting to see if this kills or boosts his TV career.

As for the telecast itself it felt a much more enjoyable, faster and better paced than previous years until about the last 90 minutes. They left too many of the musical acts way too late. They also need to do what some other award shows do (such as the ARIAs) and zoom through the wins of some of the categories that most viewers wouldntā€™ care too much about (documentaries, childrens shows, supporting actor/actresses, current affairs etc). It also starts feeling repetitive when they have for example a Popular reality category and then the Outstanding reality hours later. Maybe they should aware them back to back so that topic is covered and move on.

This one was too.

Your idea is sort of similar to Eurovision.

A couple of things

1. I thought the production of the show was fantastic last night. Very tight, thoughtful, respectful of the past and overall, entertaining.

2. It really didnā€™t miss having a host. Tony Martinā€™s commentary pulled it together.

3. TV Week would be loving the controversial ending. It has created noise and noise is needed in the current magazine landscape.

The Logies live on.

1 Like

I totally noticed that he was funny but then got nasty then recovered and got nasty again ending on a sour note. Heā€™s no Ricky Gervais

2 Likes

I agree with this, the GFX overhaul was very good, no tacky TV Week logo added on, a nice restrained blue. The set even looked great for once.

If they could stick to ONE musical performance, thatā€™d be great. A classy In Memoriam segment is always good, this year was no exception. Tom Gleeson did an outstanding job opening the night, a shame they probably wonā€™t ask him to do it again now as itā€™s what it needs.

3 Likes

Could have ditched Delta and probably Jessica Mauboy as well. And did anyone even care about Why Donā€™t We

1 Like

Yeah. Guy smashed it out the park.

Delta was trying to be creative and Do different versions of her hit songs. That never works, unless youā€™re doing some sort of music industry performance. If she did them as originals, she could have smashed the performance too.

I think two performances can work as long as there is some sort of connection to the TV industry. Guy and Delta are on The Voice and she also was in the Olivia miniseries in the past year. But the other two had no business being there this year.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know much about Mystery Road so I just googled it.

Is Wikipedia right that there have only been six episodes?

You could have Media Spied it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quite possibly. I could also imagine the likes of News Corp & The Daily Mail calling for taxpayer-funded Tom Gleeson to be sacked from the ABC.

Although to be honest, as much as Iā€™m not entirely satisfied with a Tom Gleeson win I think itā€™s slightly (albeit not by very much) better than having a breakfast TV weather presenter taking the trophy. Now that wouldā€™ve been an absolute farce!

Bagging the writer of possibly the longest running Australian TV History website and one of Media Spyā€™s most respected members. What a class act that MrTVAus isā€¦NOT! :confused:

I also didnā€™t realise that only actors/actresses were deserving of a Gold Logie win, but apparently thatā€™s the case according to some of MrTVAusā€™ tweets. Personally I can come up with a whole list of people on Australian TV who deserve to be showered with praise from the industry on that podium (and at other award ceremonies) but never will be, however you donā€™t see me complaining!

From what I recall, the Logies tried skipping through some of the categories deemed to be of less viewer interest a few years ago. Obviously people mustā€™ve complained that there were winners who werenā€™t being treated with respect, so weā€™re now back to including those categories during the telecast.

Although I do wonder if itā€™d be better to announce the winners of some lower tier categories during a separate event a week or so before the Logies, while still briefly mentioning them (perhaps with some footage) during the telecast.

5 Likes

Tom Gleesonā€™s copped a lot of flack for his sniping and horrible comments in his speech. Probably all deserved and of his own makkng. Itā€™s a shame because itā€™s taken a lot away from his funny opening routine. This was probably the best bit:

ā€œThe Logies is like a house party. The ABC, were like the old neighbours complaining about the noise. Channel 7 is like the sensible family that never gets invited to parties. Channel 10 is the younger people that make a lot of noise even though no-one is listening. Channel 9 is like the divorced dad that hosts the party and spends the whole night trying to root SBS.ā€ :rofl:

4 Likes

I see he has an account on here too but he has yet to post. I hope he never does. Iā€™ve been following his Twitter for a while now and itā€™s certainly not the first time heā€™s snapped like that. Pathetic really.

8 Likes