60th TV Week Logie Awards 2018

TV Week have had to explain why so many actors and presenters have been snubbed and viewers have chucked a mental on social media. They’ve pushed the blame on networks who provide their selections for nominations. I think that TV Week have to take some responsibility because they allow so few nominations from each network.

and you also have to take into account the final list of nominations are usually wide spread over the networks so there must be some people missing out just so all the nominations aren’t stacked. its all a bit of a farce.

2 Likes

It’s a flawed system because one network may have a lot more scripted shows and therefore a lot more actors who are popular with viewers, while another network may have a lot of light entertainment shows and presenters. The restrictions are unfair in these cases.

At the very least, they need to allow the networks to submit more nominations. Let them have up to 25 to 30 so that all the regulars in TV shows have the same chance. They don’t have to submit 30 but let them have the option to submit more.

1 Like

the article says each network can submit 10 names for the actor and actress awards, and 15 names for the presenter award. That’s not much choice at all. Should be at least 25 names each.

1 Like

Foxtel asking for votes for Gogglebox

They also created a whole swag of new problems with the extension of eligibility into the future. By including shows that haven’t even aired yet or actors who haven’t even appeared on screen yet this really stuffs up the awards for some candidates.

For a show like Safe Harbour which screens this week and next week, how will a network know if an actor in it should be put for a most popular award when nobody has seen it and there hasn’t been any buzz for it? Shows like The Principal and Barracuda scored awards but this show isn’t being given the same opportunity this year.

This limit in the number of submissions has also revealed how the networks are manipulating the voting. For example, Ten has put submittted Show Me The Movie! and Rove McManus forward as nominees as a way to publicise their new show which is not even on air yet.

The ABC left The Doctor Blake Mysteries out of contention and Craig McLachlan who has been nominated and won in the last few years completely off the list. It may have to do with the allegations against him but on the other hand this could lead to other precedents. The networks could ignore programs which have ended because they would rather focus on new programs which they think deserve publicity.

And how will April Rose Pengilly get any votes for Best New Talent when she only appears in Neighbours on 27 Mar and voting closes 1 Apr? That’s unfair to do that to her.

1 Like

Not forgetting that April Rose Pengilly will be ineligible for Best New Talent nomination in 2019 because she was nominated in 2018 after what will be three days on air…

2 Likes

Just a friendly reminder that the Logies Voting finishes up this Sunday. So if you haven’t voted yet, then do so soon.

April Rose Pengilly made her first appearance on Neighbours last night. Still agree that she is unfairly treated at the Logies. To be listed in the New Talent category, to be barely be seen on tv is a joke!

On a side note - its good that only a handful of “sports programs” are listed in the Entertainment category. We’ll see how well The NRL Footy Show does with more quality shows ahead of them. If the show is nominated, then the system is screwed. lol.

I just checked Wotif and while there is ‘high demand’ there is still plenty of accommodation available on the Gold Coast during the Commonwealth Games, including around 8th April. Pushing the Logies back to July was silly.

I agree July is too late but it wouldn’t just be about accommodation available on the Gold Coast during the Games.

It has more to do with the availability of the venue hosting it, with the ballroom probably being utilised for other events at this time. Same goes for transport, stylists, restaurants, bars and all the other businesses associated with such big events.

Since it’s the first time on the Gold Coast, the hotel, government and TV Week probably needed more time to organise it this year too. They can devote more time to it away from the Commonwealth Games.

2 Likes

These are coming up soon, any word on when nominations will be out? Is there any reason why they wouldn’t want to release the names now they’d have them? Might build a little buzz

This has already been announced in the press release.

Thank you for reminding me.

TV Week reports that the nominees will be announced next Sunday 27 May at 2.30pm live from The Star Gold Coast on the TV Week website and Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

4 Likes

Annual whinge fest over who did or didn’t get nominated and in what categories will start soon after.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see who will get nominated in tomorrow’s Logies Nominations Announcement.

Will some people and programs from early 2017 be forgotten, since doting was done recently?

Who’ll be up for the Gold?
Which shows will be up for the revamped Most Popular Entertainment Program award (“current affairs”-type shows; Sport Shows and variety shows are back into this one award)

will wait and see…

Probably Scott Cam, Karl Stefanovic, Hamish and Andy, Carrie Bickmore and a few extra Nine/Ten personalities. Yawn.

Although since Nine and Ten basically uses logies as their promotion platform, it wouldn’t surprise me if they were nominated. Would like to see more Seven personalities (the likes of Mel Doyle, Bruce McAvaney, Joh Griggs etc.) get nominated for gold rather than the pleothra of Nine and Ten presenters, but since most people in Australia aren’t exactly fans of Seven presenters it probably won’t happen soon.

2 Likes

Perhaps Lisa Wilkinson may finally get a nomination? Although that would be a rather awkward situation for both Nine and Ten if that happened this year!

3 Likes

Tracey Grimshaw is a dead cert considering there has been concerted effort from within Nine to get her up.

3 Likes

haha. I agree. She is a shoe-in. I also saw many ads from Nine to get people voting for Tracey Grimshaw for the Gold. Some of The Project panellists will be in for the Gold too.

A shame that Seven don’t push for their stars to be up for the Gold in recent years.

1 Like