60th TV Week Logie Awards 2018

I hope Nine promote voting for them equally. Especially considering she probably gets paid a lot more than him.

I’m in the anyone but Grant camp.

Nasty.

1 Like

Really? I did a vote earlier this year and I’m pretty sure I put in a name in the Gold Logie that wasn’t one I’d picked for the other categories? Although if you asked me now who I voted for i wouldn’t have a clue now

this year it has changed. The Graham Kennedy award used to go to Most Outstanding New Talent but now his name has been moved to Most Popular New Talent

1 Like

I wonder who the international guests will be, if any? Nine should try to get the Young Sheldon star out or Stan could get Rupaul. That might inject some excitement

I could be wrong but I thought it was more restricted this year. Just like you couldn’t vote for an “Other” in any category.

You can never vote for “other” which is annoying but I’m pretty sure for the Gold you had the choice of either one of the names you had selected for the other categories or you could pick someone new (but that still had to come from the pool of names for the popular categories)

The irony of these “most popular” awards is that many of the nominees come from the lowest rating shows on tv or ones that don’t win their time slots.

2 Likes

I guess popularity isn’t always translated into ratings.

2 Likes

Good to see Luke McGregor and Celia Pacquola up for the Popular Acting awards for ABC’s Rosehaven.

As awesome of an actress Deborah Mailman is, but did anyone actually watch her in her role in ABC’s Cleverman? She’s up for the Popular Actress award.

But then again, Grant Denyer is up for the Gold, and Family Feud rated terrible over the last 18 months.

3 Likes

I think people need to remember most tv viewers don’t read TV Week or care about awards. They don’t vote.

So with these awards I always look to the Most Outstanding categories as a reflection of quality programs. And the popularly voted categories are like representative of highly engaged activist viewers and die hard fans. A niche.

But I’m not having a dig. I think that’s why the Logies have stood the test of time. Because they engage loyal and diehard tv advocates and fans. But also have the other Outstanding section that engage industry and command genuine respect and reward for artistic excellence. Sort of like US Emmy’s and People’s Choice Awards if they were merged.

You know what I hope?

That nobody watches this contrived publicity event, so it will end once and for all (I don’t take that lightly), which has progressively become worse and worse.

So much so the Victorian Government saw nothing in it anymore and Seven couldn’t give a rats.

I have a feeling they won’t promote Grant, they have no ties to him now, he’s just on radio.

Amanda would be more likely to win, especially being female, so they will push her.

2 Likes

They’ll get him to host Pointless or something

Isn’t he signed to the network? Apparently there’s some new show he will be hosting.:roll_eyes:

All these nominations are a bit yuck. Australian tv is really at a crossroads. There isn’t much quality out there to be honest.

Sully how do you think we should celebrate the industry? Are the AACTA awards enough or would you like to see something new. I know Australia loves tall poppy syndrome but I do think our tv industry deserves a night of nights to celebrate its enduring success, the popularity of local programs and efforts lots of people make when putting a tv show together.

This negativity is so sad. Wentworth, A Place to Call Home, Top of the Lake, Romper Stomper, Safe Harbour, Doctor Doctor, Four Corners, Home and Away- all are comparable in quality to their overseas counterparts and I would argue moreso in some cases.

4 Likes

Yeah, sure. Just tear down an industry stalwart of 60 years because your favourites weren’t nominated.

And the Victorian Government always makes the right decisions on everything. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Some people have high expectations. Haven’t you seen him tear down certain networks just because they show ‘rubbish’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Articles shocked about how Waleed and Carrie not nominated etc… Think Ten were busy with other stuff while voting was happening. both the Ten nominees have radio programs to spruik themselves on.

1 Like

People feel they’ve been rewarded. Now they’re just doing their job and we don’t reward status quo