2SM 1269 Sydney

What happened to the John Laws show leading up to midday? Lots of music back to back, no commercials.

He died and had to cover up the absence?

This person wasn’t aware until last week that Laws is hidden away on 2SM.

3 Likes

She probably didn’t realise there still was a 2SM! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m well aware that John Laws and 2SM don’t get anywhere near as much mainstream Sydney media attention as they used to, but surely you’d have to be living under several rocks to not be aware that The John Laws Morning Show has been on 2SM for around eight years now? Even Ray Hadley once mentioned & replayed a segment from Lawsie’s 2SM show several years back IIRC!

We really need a new thread on Media Spy for all the ignorant social media posts about radio & TV! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Not necessarily. Easy for stuff like this to go under the radar for many people, especially anything to do with 2SM. Most people probably don’t even realise it’s still going.

2 Likes

The John Laws Show hasn’t changed much since the 1960s. One significant change is that he used to open with “Hello World, this is John Laws”, but nowadays it’s “Hello World, I’m John Laws”. Following that it’s the same “What’s on your mind Australia”, some useless information, and a Keeping the Dream Alive jingle.

Yesterday’s show from the 2SM website:

4 Likes

Probably still produced in mono too.

3 Likes

God it sounds like community radio from the 80s. Maybe earlier.

4 Likes

I have to confess that “Keeping the Dream Alive” jingle used to drive me nuts, still does.
It’s a tired & dated jingle, probably a bit like John if I were to be a bit bitchy - lol.
What’s the relevance of that slogan today anyway? Or of John.
I mean what is the dream today & John’s effect on it?
Is he going to make it easier for young people to afford to buy a home?
Or he going to eliminate child poverty by 2030, stop feral cats from ravaging our dwindling marsupials.
Or stop foreigner ownership of our farming & residential land.
Improve our standard of living
Need I go on?
I don’t know what the dream is today & his effect on it sorry.
Perhaps someone can enlighten me?
It’s old & tired programming to persist with it.
A bit like Ian McNamara’s Australia All Over program - dull.

2 Likes

Worst decision by David Hill was to put Australia All Over on the metro stations. If he ever moved on from the ABC, Macca would fit right in on the Super Radio network.

1 Like

That Lawsie is under a false pretension that he’ll be #1 again in Sydney?

1 Like

Especially with his partner as producer, Bill would love that for savings like him and Pam themselves!

2SM, The Once Ratings Juggenaut Of Sydney Radio, Fell into Oblivion by The Late 1980’s And Many Of Today’s Sydneysiders Have Forgotten all about it.

1 Like

George Moore one of the icons of 2SM lives on on 2GB on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

1 Like

Trevor Sinclair was with 2SM in the late 70s early 80s, now doing breakfast on 2CH

2 Likes

I have noticed Dave Sutherland has changed his show’s Facebook cover photo to say “Brighter Breakfast”.

That’s actually a really good idea for 2SM. Promote themselves as a lighter talk station with a bit of fun (for the elderly).

1 Like

Maybe I am out of the loop. I know Grant Goldman is not well and has not been on air for a while now but does anyone have an update?

4 Likes

Yes Dave Sutherland has been filling in for Grant for a long while now & during the infrequent times I’ve tuned into the 2SM breakfast show with Dave I haven’t heard of any updates as to Grants health condition. I’m also keen to know how he’s getting on. Grant had the best show on 2SM I thought. Thoughtful, entertaining & at times hard hitting.
35 weeks since the last update here:

Dave’s program is bright, but much lighter - perhaps a bit too light for my tastes.

2 Likes

I think it’s safe to say that Grant isn’t likely to be making a return either at all or at least on a long term basis.

At some point, your priorities change from wanting to farewell and thank your audience and clients to simply staying alive. Grant may be at the latter. Plenty read these pages yet never contribute, perhaps they will now.

Of course the other option to illicit a health update is to report of his death, then the ‘word of my death is greatly exaggerated’ quote is trotted out with current health status and so on.

2 Likes