2SM 1269 Sydney

Probably a similar agreement to ARN and MML stations - how you can stream GB,
etc. on iHeart.

A clever move if you can have K&J and Jones on the one platform.

1 Like

2SM is not on iheartradio at this time . It is a clever move!

1 Like

If a deal was to be made between 2SM and ARN/iHeartRadio, I wonder if the regional SRN/BOG stations would finally resume streaming? I think some (but not all) used to be online before going silent after the dispute which saw all regional stations turn off their online streaming in Early 2014. Of course most others have since resumed streaming but I donā€™t think the SRN/BOG regional stations (except maybe a brief time the Newcastle stations were online again?) have.

Personally, Iā€™d only want Alan Jones to move to 2SM if the station were to do the right thing (which really shouldā€™ve happened in 2011 when John Laws joined 2SM) by participating in ratings surveys again.

2 Likes

It would be good to see Ray Hadley to have real competition. I am sure he might be secretly wishing Alan to move so he has his next challenge. To beat Alan Jones. He beat Laws in the ratings , but some may say it was because of Jones in the morning.

3 Likes

Doesnā€™t Ray Hadley actually get a higher percentage of the audience for 2GB between 9am & midday than Alan Jones does at breakfast? As much as I personally dislike Hadleyā€™s broadcasting, I reckon heā€™d be quite competitive (potentially even #1) in the ratings against Jones if both presenters were on rival stations at breakfast.

Yes he does and it also helps that a large number of stations take his programme, typically in full or 2 hours. Jones may claim to be heard on 78 stations but only 4BC takes his programme in full. It is all BS, the majority of the stations takes either his comments (10mins) a day or one hour of highlights. I havenā€™t listened to Hadley since the Justin Kelly spat all those years ago and yes, if Hadley takes on breakfast he will maintain #1. Interesting developments.

1 Like

And while Hadley may have more, keep in mind there are generally slightly lesser listeners at Mornings than during Breakfast - and even less as the day goes on until Drive.

1 Like

John Laws felt it when Alan left 2ue. Were John Laws rating lower than Rays? ie the year or so before Alan left UE.

2 Likes

Jones average audience: 145,00, cume: 447,000
Hadley average audience: 108,000, cume: 340,000

3 Likes

Just hearing Alan Jones on the phone to 2SM on Talkin Sport :slight_smile: . Is this a sign ?

He is talking rugby. Very scratchy mobile but.

2 Likes

Lisa Wilkinson doing a couple of guest interviews for The Project on Ten while she was still a main co-presenter for Channel Nineā€™s Today program comes to mind as a fairly recent example of a high profile media personality subtly hinting a future move.

Whether or not Alan Jones did the same thing this afternoon with his interview on Talking Sport, at this stage one can only speculate. But if AJ does decide to defect from 2GB to 2SM, I wonder if heā€™d be able to make an official announcement fairly soon?

2 Likes

The callers seem to love Alan too. Good fit for 2sm :slight_smile:.

I remember Jones doing some interviews on 2GB when he was still at 2UE, mostly to do with rugby iirc, and promoting his short-lived Channel Ten program Alan Jones Live, which was a carbon copy of Larry King Live.

4 Likes

http://2smsupernetwork.com/rugby-alan-jones-shares-his-reason-for-defence-of-israel-folau/

1 Like

Heā€™ll be down at his ā€˜farmā€™ west of the Southern Highlands towns at this time of weekend, a long weekend of sorts, plug in the mic in front of the fire tomorrow morning.

Nice little stir up for MRN. Jones knows how to play people off. Bill would be happy too.

If it was a true carbon copy of Larryā€™s show, itā€™d still be on air. Larryā€™s show had longevity, Alanā€™s was a stinker.

1 Like

Carbon copy as in Jones wore braces and had a desk microphone.

1 Like

I donā€™t think he wore the braces. He had the big desk microphone but Clive Robertson had already ripped that gimmick off Larry King Live a few years earlier.

I donā€™t recall it being that bad. At least it had a point of difference to what Seven and Nine were doing. Probably wouldā€™ve worked, given time, on another network. It just didnā€™t suit the youthful Ten brand.

EDIT: Found a YouTube clip.

1 Like

I wonder if Jonesā€™ dodgy phone line was intentional to prevent 2SM from using his voice in any on air promosā€¦

ā€¦ Yes, itā€™s probably a full moon tonight ā€¦

The fact heā€™s appearing on other stations and allowing his callers to go on a rant about his contract expiring clearly shows that he is no longer fully committed to MML/Nine.

1 Like

I wish him a speedy recovery and successful fight against the cancer. He is part of 2SMā€™s Talkin sport team for those who do not know.

3 Likes

Great clip of Alan from a few decades ago. Itā€™s quite weird to see Alan wearing a shirt and tie that look like fairly normal fashion. Nowadays he dresses like heā€™s a circus ringmaster.

1 Like