2SM 1269 Sydney

No different to Hadley giving out traffic information on his show when it gets networked out.

Really wish these guys edit out those unhelpful references, or even have a local cutaway…

4 Likes

Agreed. 100%

Things do happen in the Super Radio Network believe it or not… The orginal issue was that 2SM was encoded on the DAB MUX Mono, would have only been a matter of changing the config to Para Stereo or D-Stereo

4GR gets the Sydney traffic, have often asked the techs why they don’t use the pulse to play their own traffic… but apprently they don’t get a traffic pulse from 2GB… I know for a fact in my time working for MML that they send out Pulses with their network programming from MML Syndication… Therefore I am not sure why SCA don’t get the traffic pulse… See image below from the MML Syndication Pulse Log

Either way this is off topic from 2SM :wink:

4 Likes

Which techs are you asking? Local in Toowoomba or network?
I have a theory that the pulses get ignored/lost in SCA’s system…

For Ray Hadley’s program to get to Toowoomba, it takes the following path:
MML Syndication uplink the program to the Satellite. That satellite signal is received at SCA’s Albury Hub, where it goes through a studio (allowing a panel op to override anything) before being sent into SCA’s SCAsat distribution network. Toowoomba then receive the program off the SCAsat network.

This means that if Albury don’t do anything with the traffic pulse, there will be no pulse sent to their local stations.

2 Likes

My guess would be that is what is going on then

Past 2 local techs

1 Like

Next time, curious to know the AM coverage in this area, never found GB or BL to have problems, but what of further up the band?

Did not bring my am radio, next time I will although should tried my car radio… From memory 2sm struggles a bit.

1 Like

Grant Goldman was on the big screen at the Kings vs Bullets match (Mike is the MC). Apparently he looks great in a skirt. :thinking::joy:
It was his birthday, it was mentioned during the game, he was also one of the early courtside announcers of the Kings. Like father, like son I suppose?

2 Likes

I wonder why John Laws does not use 131269 for his dial in number. The long 1300 number very hard to remember.

1300 JOHN LAWS (56 46 52)

Initial intention to have a number for syndication, in keeping with Laws’ star quality to be about him rather than the station.

Remember, Laws still rates #1 or #2 or in Newcastle, the largest market he’s surveyed. Like it or not, there’s still a large audience.

Laws’ show is vastly different to his ‘at or near the top’ days at UE. Far more relaxed, less news, less rigour. I’d like to see the producers research more, provide more structured content, then again, that’s up to Laws in the end.

1 Like

He’s probably operating with a few less hand maidens than he was in his days at 2UE. Does he still refer to them as hand maidens or has he finally decided to step into the 21st century?

2 Likes

Of course he does and yes, they still wear skirts. He really plays up this quirk from time to time.

1 Like

Anyway I prefer Laws to Ray if I am in the mood for talkback. Not much choice these days.

1 Like

Andrew Hornery in the SMH has written that there are indeed rumours that Alan Jones could move to 2SM under a profit sharing arrangement with Bill Caralis.

3 Likes

Please please please be true.

A move to 2SM would also mean he’d take his team with him - which would lift the sound of the station immensely.

It would be a game changer for Sydney radio, Australian radio and the history of radio (with a rebirth of 2SM’s success).

Make it happen Bill.

Would be bad for Hadley. Alan will take his audience with him and they’ll probably stick around for Laws just like the old days.

1 Like

Does this actually happen?

1 Like

The story goes that while 2SM itself may not make a profit, that overall the Super Network does make a profit by heavily networking 2SM. If 2SM has Alan Jones I have no doubt it would be profitable.

2 Likes

Do people here think 2SM would finally re-join the official ratings surveys if Alan Jones moved to the station? Or would they continue to not bother (potentially rendering Sydney radio ratings surveys useless) as they have despite John Laws having been on the station for about eight years now?

2 Likes

I think there would be a good chance of 2SM rejoining the ratings as I think Alan Jones would want to be able to boast about the size of his audience. Laws rates reasonably well in Newcastle. Hopefully there would be a bit of a on-air overhaul if Jones joined, with some of the programs being replaced, in particular Graeme Gilbert.

2 Likes