Digital Radio

$10 digital radio.

DS548+ radio again spotted in Target at this price.

Only at some stores, seems there’s three groups of Target stores, ones that don’t stock digital radios at all, those selling over $10 and those selling at $10, difficult to pick them.

Here are the details:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ds548%2B+target&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz2Mfdi4_gAhWUV30KHUGKC1gQ_AUIECgD&biw=1627&bih=947#imgrc=7j5Vsn2HgUVGTM:

My photo of it:

3 Likes

And a bonus is that it has two speaker’s so might even be stereo which doesn’t seem to be a priority on DAB radios

2 Likes

Listening to Double J’s Hottest 100 of 1998 through a Sangean FM/DAB radio connected to my Sherwood amp and it’s definitely a bit muddy. FM from both the built-in tuner and the Sangean is sounding a lot more dynamic

2 Likes

Sadly so @gordo92, it’s a shame.

Digital radio needs to be true stereo at a decent bit rate.

3 Likes

Compressed audio will never really be “true” stereo, even at say 128 kbps.

Uncompressed audio (true stereo) is WAV format, which is 1411 kbps.

2 Likes

Well I went to paradise beach baths in the pittwater area. The dab repeater is working very well there and that includes the abc. As usual not much time to dx with little kids. 2ch seem to have totally dropped the easy classic.

Coast fm did make it in there a bit. Had to go up the hill (difficult to park so parked up the hill) to get stereo on my pocket radio. Good spot but no toilets or tap to wash feet etc.

2 Likes

Wrote in a hurry, I meant without parametric stereo and the other trickery.

How can you have baths but no other facilities? For the price of the surrounding land, I’d say Northern Beaches Council has more than ample rate base for simple works.

I was wanting to tune in to Joy in Melbourne via the digital tuner to listen to their Eurovision countdown this afternoon. “Joy” came up on the tuner display but it was just silence, and there’s no mention of digital on their website. All other digital stations came through fine. I ended up listening online because my FM reception of 94.9 was not 100%.

I’m not a regular listener to Joy but is it my imagination that they used to be on digital?

1 Like

I haven’t listened lately to know if they are comparatively worse - but the ABC allocate a huge amount to data rather than audio, meaning their nominal 80kbps stations run audio rates far below what you would expect. It varies, but I’ve seen Triple J go as low as 52kbps audio - below what most nominally 64kbps stations are.

Unfortunately all the stations that meet that definition, which are stations running AAC-LC in Stereo, are all talk format.

2CH and Nova Melbourne/Sydney are music stations running at sufficient bitrates, but they all choose to run with SBR (HE-AAC v1), which is marginal to negative in terms of audio improvement at those rates.

1 Like

Yes, according to this

Maybe they’re not on it anymore? I did message them but didn’t get a reply

Yep, getting the same issue of it being silent, but I’m getting scrolling text on it.

1 Like

I recall the group investigated and came to this conclusion.

I’m very pleased with the variety that MMM Aussie are playing. In the last 20 mins or so, I’ve heard the following unflogged songs

Truganini - Midnight Oil
Accidentally Kelly Street - Frente
Reasons - John Farnham
Almost With You - The Church

3 Likes

Totally agree, really hope it lasts and rates

2 Likes

Those songs need to be added to the normal Triple M playlist. Getting sick of hearing “Power and the Passion” and “You’re The Voice”

3 Likes

A good taste of new stuff alsO

1 Like

Yes, they also played The Polish Club’s “Clarity” along with those others I posted, a great new(ish) song

There FB page still says modern. You think there would change it

1 Like

For some reason, the audio on ZOO in Sydney is mono only at the moment.

Other 2SM Digital stations are still stereo.

2 Likes