2CH Sydney

I dont mind the new music format on magic 2ch when compared to before. Unlike Melbourne or Brisbane we have had limited choice of am music stations since the early 90s. 2ch was always for more older generations.
Has anyone notice the sound quality in dab+ is not as good in evenings even though its 128 bits. RFBurns if you dont mind going down to 2ch and fixing it :slight_smile:

It is sad people losing jobs. 2ue before now 2ch.

Yeah, I have noticed how the audio quality network feed programing is a little on the compressed side. Even for Johnny Youngā€™s program which Iā€™m sure is (was?) produced out of 2CH Sydney.

Just tuning for the first time since the relaunch right now via DAB+ and have noticed during what appears to be networked programming, that the title/artist info has disappeared.

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed that too. The title/artist info has been missing from DAB+ since at least Sunday.

Also, I think that Magic 2CH no longer airs news bulletins after a certain time of night. Before the relaunch, Macquarie National News was on 2CH 24/7.

Yes I think I agree re audio as wellā€¦ I donā€™t think it sounds as full as it did, given its still operating with a 128 Kbps bandwidth.

And also meant to mention, given the DAB+ station name has also changed to ā€œMagic 2CHā€, that itā€™s no longer the ā€œfirstā€ station that digital radios go to when you do a reset or scan from new. That ā€œfirstā€ station is now 2Day FM.

1 Like

Yeah end of an era no news 24/7. 2ws use to have news at night in 90s.

Have to talk to grandma whose 94 listening to KC and sunshine band at 1012pm if she approves . :slight_smile: She was a fan of 2ch might still be.

2 Likes

My mum is 77 and Iā€™m quite sure she has NEVER heard of KC & The Sunshine Band!

Anyway Magic in my views plays more variety than wsfm. More upbeat than smooth. So I think in my view its the best choice in adult category from a music prospective in Sydney. 2ca I think is the best oldies commercial station. Breeze is similar.

LOL, I wouldā€™ve done it or made sure it was good if things had been a bit different.

I had an interview before Christmas for an Engineer at 2UE, joining the 2UE/2GB/2CH engineering team, it was down to me & another guy, after about 3 weeks of deciding, they went with the other guy, who they promoted internally.

Maybe I dodged a bullet there missing out on the job? I donā€™t mind, Iā€™m really aiming to work upstairs at Nova/Smooth95.3. :smiley:

And isnā€™t the logo just awful. The word says ā€œmagicā€ but the font says ā€œboringā€.

Iā€™ve noticed on Magic 2CHā€™s playlist page that it now only records the songs played between 6am & 2pm, when they have local programming.

1 Like

Nice link TV-Expert. Hope they add classic hit triple plays, classic countdowns etc in the mix. 2ues Saturday night live would be a perfect format for magic.

From my brief listen this morning at breakfast time dab sounds better with local programming.

MRN should move Pete Grahamā€™s Saturday Night Live from 2ue to the Magic Network which is good idea

I think also they should have it as a week night program. Interviews countdowns etc, requests. Its different and some thought has gone into the program, especially some listener interaction rather than just a robot station. Robot radio you can use apple radio or spotify etc.

Its annoying the way 2ch magic is handling the hourly christian message. They should cut an ad, a song whatever . Its like the religious message is an after thought they just cut off the middle of a song and hope no one notices.

I guess this is a first world problem. :slight_smile:

Anyway enjoying the music.

No great surprise, Mardi Cole & her Content Director position at Magic 2CH has been made redundant.

Macquarie have to sell 2CH by the end of March IIRC, unless they find a loophole in the 2 station per market rule, which isnā€™t being changed with the current media reforms going through parliament.

I might put in a bid, itā€™ll have to go at a bargain basement price, the only on air staff pretty much are Gareth McCray (breakfast) & Bob Rogers (mornings/lunch), (Kel Richards will probably either stay with 2UE/2GB or go if itā€™s sold to someone else).

Behind the scenes staff will stay with 2UE/2GB, so a buyer will only be paying for the licence more or less (like 2SM when the Catholic Church sold it).

2UE is moving into the renovated studios, so there wonā€™t be a long term place for 2CH if someone else buys it, & although the 2CH transmitter is owned, Iā€™m sure the TX site space is rented from Broadcast Australia.

1 Like

It would need six million? I wish I could afford it too. But I am not sure if you can make enough money running an independent radio station on the am brand.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they apply for an extension to the deadline to sell 2CH. The ACMA seem to hand them out freely. Iā€™m pretty sure SCA had at least one extension before they sold Mix FM & Sea FM on the Sunshine Coast.

You would have to be a magician to turn around an AM station with an audience rating of about 4%. Then you would have to start from scratch with News, Sales Staff etc unless it was sourced from Macquarie. Certainly they would be granted an extension of time if they asked for it but to my way of thinking selling all 3 Magic Stations in one block might be savvy for a buyer wanting a small network to build on. Maybe operate from the 2UE premises soon to be vacated.

Magician is the correct word. The fact is none of the Magic stations make a profit. Networking was the only way they could attempt to break even. 2CHā€™s problem is that as sounds so much older than say Magic Melbourne, it holds very little appeal to advertisers. In fact, 2CH has a much older profile-in the last survey of 2015 both rated 4.1% 10+. However, 67% of 2CHā€™s audience was aged 65+ while 59% of Magic 1278 was 65+.