2CH Sydney

I know it’s on the AM band but would 2CH be more profitable if it played all 70s or all 80s music. And not the music WSFM plays but the music from either decade that other stations ignore.

Sure it would not be the number one station but an all 80s (Rock of the 80s) station would at least pull in a considerable amount of 35 - 60 year olds. Younger demos than the current format of 2CH.

I think the issue is that most people who like the 80s aren’t listening to AM radio for music. The quality is appalling compared with FM and so few people have digital radios. While there are WSFM, Smooth and now Triple M adding more 80s to their playlist the era is virtually covered.

I know this should be on a different thread but WS, MMM and Smooth barely cover 50% of the Top 40s of the 80s. I would love to hear some Ray Parker Jr, Melissa Manchester, Cheap Trick, Bananarama, Phil Seymour, Marilyn, Culture Club, Devo, Adam and the Ants, Jona Lewie, The Nolans, The Swingers, Pat Wilson, Redgum, Nena, Dan Hartman, Pseudo Echo, Jim Diamond, Wa Wa Nee, Communards, Bronski Beat, Martin Plaza, Paul Lekakis, Grayson Hugh, Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, The Timelords, Chantoozies, Big Pig or even The Time Bandits.

And the 70s are even less catered for on commercial FM. Or commercial AM. Smooth has increased the variety of songs you can hear but only slightly.

I never listen to AM for music. But I would listen to AM for music that FM does not play. And that is a hell of a lot of music.

2 Likes

Well if they pushed digital radio then it might help. If they played a good variety of 80s and 70s I would listen.

1 Like

And an unflogged variety at that too!

1 Like

The 70s was a wonderful decade of music but unfortunately ruined by the Disco era, “Your Body, My Body” and so on. Agree nickatnights so much music has been ignored by others.

1 Like

@ nickatnights
You’re right, there is SO much 80s music that isn’t played on FM or AM. Before the networking of the Magic stations, Magic 882 in Brisbane was playing a lot of the 80s artists you list and they were really starting to sound different. They were even playing softer 90s and 00s songs occasionally, but mostly softer 80s songs. Unfortunately that all ended with the takeover by Magic Melbourne.

Now I have DAB in the car I’m usually listening to Pure Gold 80s and More Digital and between the two of them they play some awesome stuff from the 80s that the mainstream stations don’t touch. After listening to them for a few weeks in the car makes you realise how narrow the offerings are on FM. Breeze FM plays the best range of 80s on the FM dial and at least I get to listen to that too.

As for the 70s, 4KQ does play a wide variety - probably the best in Australia. It’s on AM but also DAB of course.

As for Magic and AM music stations in general being ‘viable’, I think with the help of DAB they can pull listeners back from FM, particularly as the FM stations get younger (or fill up further with sport and talk). Cruise is going well in Adelaide, and if you combine 4KQ and Magic in Brisbane it’s a pretty healthy chunk of the market listening to AM music. And as DAB gets into more cars the playing field will level somewhat. Now I have DAB in the car AM vs FM means nothing to me. The only time I switch to FM is pick up fringe stations like Breeze and Rebel that aren’t on DAB, otherwise I’m completely on DAB and never go on AM.

your comment is so not “magic!” :stuck_out_tongue:

The disco era was really kicking into gear from around 1978 on - you can’t really say 2 years ruined a whole decade, surely?! :slight_smile:

Magic 1278 Melbourne is a waste of time :smiley: Melbourne’s 3MP plays all the music you mention and more from the 60’s 70’s and 80’s. Best playlist on radio and they’re not even in the ratings.

Actually it all kicked off around 1976 with Disco Duck performed by US disc jockey Rick Dees and his Cast of Idiots.

Yeah you guys are luck in Melbourne for having 3mp. Hows dab quality for 3mp?

Notes 2ch had news last night at 10pm. Dab quality not wonderful with network programming. Sounds great in the mornings.

3MP DAB quality is excellent @ 56Kbps.

ACMA has given Macquarie Media a 6-month extension on the forced sale of Magic 2CH, giving them until 30th September 2016 to sell off the station.

More: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/8702-macquarie-media-secures-a-six-month-reprieve.html

@TV-Expert
I’m not surprised, I thought they would get an extension. Possibly hoping that the 2 station rule is relaxed in the meantime. Also all three Magic stations seem to be promoting a single website magicaustralia.com.au where you choose your station.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m actually not terribly surprised that MRN got an extension either. In the meantime, surely MRN would be pushing to have the two station rule relaxed with the latest round of media reform?

Considering that 2CH has been rebranded to match Melbourne and Brisbane, one wonders whether it’s actually 2UE that might be sold off if the two station rule isn’t changed/MRN don’t get another extension come September? Just a thought.

Makes you wonder if this is why they don’t seem to be in a particular rush to relaunch 2ue despite what they said earlier. Not far from the end of March now and all we’ve seen has been a bit of tinkering at the edges, certainly no big relaunch/reformatting.

Hi, new here. I love the music that played on Magic DAB+, but has anyone noticed that it’s very “sibilant” in sound and hard to listen to after a while, compared to Smooth DAB+, which seems to have a well balanced sound?

Thanks George

The sound is good in Sydney until the networking kicks in. It is no longer as good then.

1 Like

Presumably the link to Melbourne (or wherever the network feed originates from) is at a fairly low bitrate compared to the quality of local programing from the Sydney studios.

2ch magic off air. Just hear a buzz. Both am and dab.