2022 Federal Election - Media Coverage

How much did they pay the person who thought up this nonsensical headline? :joy:

5 Likes

They were really good until the result became clear (about 9:30 - 10) - then it descended into this odd farce that could only happen on the ABC. That said, Laura Tingle being in Melbourne was an odd move, Annabel Crabb was hopeless and Bridget Brennan might as well not been there (although that last one is as much the fault of David Speers then anything)

2 Likes

Just like most people on here were in 2019, after Labor lost the unlosable election under Shorten.

1 Like

what do you mean by that?

I have to agree Anabelle wasn’t the strongest.

Also the ABC aren’t the best at making a definitive clear and dramatic annoucement about the final call on who has won/lost the election. Antony just sort of casually says it amongst a ramble of assorted analysis and it isn’t very distinct.

Where was Ticker News with their own election coverage?

There’s a story currently on their website home page which is now over 24 hours old.

2 Likes

Ratings are in

1 Like

They started unnecessarily re-litigating issues of elections-past (like Mediscare) and questioning “failures” of the Labor campaign despite their win in some vain attempt at maintaining balance where it was simply unnecessary

1 Like

@bacco007 Barrie Cassidy’s tweets last night

3 Likes

I’m still struggling to find what the actual direction is for Ticker.

4 Likes
3 Likes

SBS coverage

5 Likes

I always have a look around but I watched ABC most of the night. It was the best coverage of the night, but I wasn’t too impressed with Leigh Sales’ questioning of Tanya Plibersek late in the night.

Seven’s touchscreen was nowhere near as good as claimed (almost hilarious how wrong it was) but I thought that Nat and Michael did a good job. I even thought that Christopher Pyne was decent (something that I thought would be impossible).

Nine was ruined by that clown Matt Canavan. Couldn’t watch it for more than 10 minutes. Kate Ellis and Julie Bishop provided decent analysis.

Ten was ruined by the insufferable Hollie Hughes. Waleed and PVO seemed ok.

2 Likes

Yeh right!. When was that?

Here’s Seven predictive computer early in the night at 7:50 pm - LNP just 6 seats short of a majority.

8:30pm PVO on 10 called the election for Labor.
9:05pm Sky said LNP couldn’t win.
9:35pm Nine predicated a Labor government. A few minutes later ABC put up a graphic projecting a Labor win but removed it.
9:43 pm Seven declared “Labor Wins”.

2 Likes

I know there has been much discussion about the graphics, but I just wanted to add my opinion. How the heck can they be so large, yet contain so little information in such a poor layout? Only having the ALP and Coalition seats on the left of screen and not others or the seats in doubt doesn’t give a clear picture of exactly what is going on (I know they had the full bottom of screen super that did include these, but it should be on their the whole time).

Also, why did they make the most important aspect of the 2CP graphic, being the percentage of the vote, the smallest thing on the screen? They could have put the party affiliation next to the candidate name, and had the 2CP% next to the picture, and it would have been a more efficient use of the space.

4 Likes

Looks like they’d rather air “business infomercials” on weekends instead of news gathering. Rather strange decision.

5 Likes

I think they actively tried not to clutter it with too much info.

Channel Nine Election 2022 team.

13 Likes

I thought Peter and Alicia did a good job hosting coverage for Nine.

8 Likes

A nice behind the scenes video from ABC’s election studio with Ellen Fanning and Antony Green

10 Likes
5 Likes