2022 Federal Election - Media Coverage

Started with ABC and stuck with them all night. Great insight’s and a slick production.

2 Likes

Australia Decides: Your Vote 2022

7NEWS voted Australia’s choice for Federal Election coverage on Channel 7 and 7plus

The Seven Network delivered Australia’s most comprehensive and engaging coverage of the Federal Election tonight – with 7NEWS political editor Mark Riley beating the pack to declare a Labor majority government and Anthony Albanese as Australia’s new prime minister.

Joining Sunrise co-host Natalie Barr and 7NEWS’ Michael Usher to anchor Seven’s dynamic election night broadcast, Riley kept viewers across a night of surprises, with up-to-the-minute polling results, informed commentary and analysis on Channel 7, 7plus and across 7NEWS.com.au and its social platforms.

Seven’s ‘Screen of Dreams’ – using Australian-first technology - gave viewers the edge, with Riley masterfully crunching the key numbers and calling the night’s biggest winners - most notably the teal wave of independents stealing seats in Wentworth, North Sydney, Mackellar, and Bennelong in NSW; as well as Kooyong and Goldstein in Victoria.

Speaking to 7NEWS reporter Paul Kadak first outside his Marrickville home, the Prime Minister elect Anthony Albanese said: “I want to unite the country. I think people want to come together, look for our common interests, look towards that sense of common purpose. I think people have had enough of division, what they want is to come together as a nation and I intend to lead that.”

Conceding defeat, Mr Morrison said: “And there are many prepolls and postals that will still come in. But I believe it very important that this country has certainty. I think it’s very important this country can move forward. And particularly over the course of this week, with the important meetings that are being held in Tokyo, I think it’s vitally important that there is a very clear understanding about the government of this country.”

While remaining the member for his seat of Cook, the outgoing PM confirmed he would relinquish the Liberal Party leadership.

Emotional Labor panellist and likely new Cabinet minister for health, Chris Bowen said: “This is, as somebody once said, this is a night for the true believers.”

Labor colleague Jason Clare added: “We are seeing a Labor Government being born. And as Chris [Bowen] said, it doesn’t happen very often. For us, this is an incredibly special moment, [and] we feel the weight of responsibility.”

In congratulating the winners, former Coalition minister, Christopher Pyne paid tribute to his former parliamentary rival who had risen to the top job:

“Everyone knows that Anthony and I are very good friends. I didn’t want him to become the Prime Minister, but I am very pleased for him, proud of him, in lots of ways; and I think the story of a fellow who has come from Camperdown [in Sydney’s inner-city] with his single mother, who didn’t know who his dad was until very late in life, until the last 10 years … to become the Prime Minister of our country really bodes well for what a fantastic nation this is.”

With the Australian Election Commission confirming record pre-poll and postal voting, final results will continue to be scrutinised over the coming days, with rolling coverage of the fallout to air on an extended Weekend Sunrise, with Monique Wright and Matt Doran, from 7.00am Sunday.

1 Like

I thought I must’ve been tired …lol

1 Like

Newspapers

3 Likes

lmao at bolt and credlin already cracking the sads

4 Likes

Chris Kenny wasn’t impressed last night :smile:

5 Likes

Will be a fun 3 years for the Sky after-dark crew.

4 Likes

Well even in daytime with these outsiders people hyperventilating. Just saw a segment where they called Albo racists because he acknowledged First Nations people at the beginning of his speech and that he addressed the statement of the heart. They also said he didn’t acknowledge the people who lost their jobs because they aren’t vaccinated.

They now said that the fight back begins now and they’ll have on Matt Canavan and that homophobic woman Katherine Deves. She didn’t even win her seat.

2 Likes

Does anyone know why Nine didn’t have a YouTube Live stream this time unlike the last election?

3 Likes

It’s funny, a side proof coming from this election is that while Sky’s After Dark programming seems to get ratings numbers, they don’t correspond to the flogging the right wing got last night.

Sky AD clearly has no power, a loud voice yes, but no one is listening to these insane gasbags masquerading as political commentators.

6 Likes

Anyone seen ratings yet?

1 Like

Not really true… :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Only if you found WIN-sized graphics and technological blunder after blunder ‘engaging’.

2 Likes

Overton was just a mouth piece for going to ad breaks…‘lets take a breath’…how many times did he say that!
Alicia at least had some commentary…the panelists were the ones adding value, Overton and Loxley just there to keep things moving when necessary

2 Likes

biggest loser of the night: seven.

was expecting them to smash it this time but no they flopped.

7 Likes

More newspaper front pages

6 Likes

They were poor last time and haven’t really done a good job when it comes to federal elections. They really do try yet they continually fail.

Sky News had a touchscreen that was outstanding. The stats, the prediction and the data was accurate and clearly explained. Seven was a mess. They just can’t do that stuff very well.

Nine may have had a shit set but was the pick of the free to air commercial channels.

ABC was again the preeminent election broadcaster. Adding David Speers to the analysis of Antony Green has given them an even great edge.

12 Likes

I thought that too but it seemed too high so I double checked & 9 did have it wrong

2 Likes

Would’ve been fine if they stuck to their guns like previously from a technological POV. At least would’ve worked for them logistically. Their panel was decent (granted they had Cash and Pyne but they’re more likeable than the likes of Alan Jones, Jeff Kennett or Matt Canavan on Nine) and Michael Usher and Nat were a good combo.

Nine started off slow but found their groove and was decent. Matt Canavan was and still is a massive dick who is unnecessary. Julie Bishop was fair and provided some really good analysis.

Agree that ABC was still the best and blew everyone out of the water.

3 Likes

How much did they pay the person who thought up this nonsensical headline? :joy:

5 Likes