2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

Seven’s promo for the 2002 Commonwealth Games. Can’t find any TV guide with details of Manchester 2002

3 Likes

BBC is the official broadcaster in the Home Nations

According to advanced TV guides coverage will start at 9am AEST covering the final days of the torch relay.

More specifically - this is what is currently listed in the guides for next week via Foxtel from what I can see so far. I can’t seem to find these airing in other states other than Queensland at the moment however (although keeping in mind that Victoria on March 30th will be doing the Good Friday telethon).

Thu 29 Mar 2.30pm - 3pm on 7TWO, 3:00pm - 5:00pm on Seven and 5:00pm - 5:30pm on 7TWO
Live coverage of the Queen’s Baton Relay in Ipswich as it makes its way towards the Opening Ceremony for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Hosted by Sharyn Ghidella and Pat Welsh.

Fri 30 Mar 10:00am - 5:00pm on Seven, 5:00pm - 5:30pm on 7TWO
Live coverage of the Queen’s Baton Relay in Brisbane as it makes its way towards the Opening Ceremony for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Hosted by Sharyn Ghidella and Pat Welsh.

Sat 31 Mar 9:00am - 4:00pm on 7TWO, 4:00pm - 5:30pm on Seven
Live coverage of the Queen’s Baton Relay in Brisbane as it makes its way towards the Opening Ceremony for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Hosted by Sharyn Ghidella and Pat Welsh.

Look back to Weekend Sunrise 2011 when Gold Coast was announced as the winning city to host the games.

10 Likes

According to advanced TV guides, all states will have the Opening Ceremony live at 7PM AEST on the main channel and WA will cut away for half an hour at 5:30 PM for the news before returning to the Opening Ceremony coverage at 6:00 PM. Then at 10:30 PM AEST immediately after the Opening Ceremony coverage, there will be a half hour highlights show, presumably of the Opening Ceremony and events leading up to it including the arrival of the Queen’s Baton Relay on the Gold Coast from earlier in the day.

On every weekday of the Commonwealth Games, it would appear that Sunrise will air live everywhere including WA from 5:30 AM AEST to 9:00 AM AEST as usual with the Early News still airing before it at at 5:00 AM AEST. Likewise on every weekend day of the Commonwealth Games, Weekend Sunrise will air live everywhere including WA from 7:00 AM AEST to 9:00 AM AEST only (it will only be 2 hours long instead of the usual 3 hours to 10:00 AM)

Then Commonwealth Games coverage will commence everyday from 9:00 AM AEST until 3:00 AM the following morning AEST. The only cutaway from coverage will be at 6:00 PM local time when the news will air. In NSW, VIC & QLD, the news will still be the usual one hour long. However in SA & WA, thankfully TT will not air during the Commonwealth Games so there will only be a half hour of news before returning back to Commonwealth Games coverage. So for WA members on this forum, that means we should get to see a proper closer for the news on weeknights like we had during the 2016 Rio Olympics rather than what we have every other night!! This applies for SA & WA on weekends too when TT does not normally air.

At this point, the multichannels are not available in the advanced guides that I can see so I don’t know what sort of coverage they’ll have, we’ll just have to cross our fingers and hope that Seven do utilise them, 7Two at the very least as they are promising in their Commonwealth Games promos…

All in all, this sounds very promising compared to what Seven could achieve for the Winter Olympics!!

3 Likes

Coverage will air on 7Two from 8am AEST on most days

3 Likes

There will probably be main channel only coverage in Queensland on Saturday April 7 and 14. 7TWO will be broadcasting The Championship horse racing from Sydney on both days, while 7mate will simulcast Fox Footy’s coverage of the AFL (April 7: Port Adelaide v Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast v Fremantle in Perth; April 14: Richmond v Brisbane Lions).

and in victoria ???

I think AFL Games will be played on 7 in Melbourne whilst the Gold Coast Games will Be on 7Two.

But isn’t 7TWO used to cover long form events like badminton and basketball?

1 Like

I wonder if 7flix will be used then if Seven needs it for sport on those days.

The only change i’d make really is that the news doesn’t have to be one hour. Maybe Seven could do what Nine does during the cricket, and do just 30 minutes.

According to the 2018 AFL Broadcast Guide, all AFL matches played during the Commonwealth Games that Seven has the rights to will be shown on 7mate everywhere in Australia. Commonwealth Games gets main channel preference and so it should.

1 Like

AFL Broadcast guide on their website suggests the AFL is on 7 during the Comm Games.
Edit: Well, it did. It now doesn’t!

2 Likes

looks like for victoria all the matches during the comm games will be on 7mate

1 Like

The advanced guides also outline that the daytime presenters will be Todd Woodbridge, Jim Wilson and Johanna Griggs

2 Likes

GC 2018 also airs on 7Flix when the footy clashes on 7mate

4 Likes

The primetime presenters will be Hamish McLachlan & Mel McLaughlin according to the same source.

I think we can all agree that the daytime and primetime presenters should be switched around, at least regarding Jim Wilson and Johanna Griggs. However, I think we could see this situation coming considering Hamish & Mel also hosted in primetime for the 2016 Rio Olympics and Hamish presented in primetime for the Winter Olympics recently…

1 Like

So afl commentators Hamish McLachlan, Bruce McAvaney, Basil Zempilas are going to Gold Coast for the 2018 Games.
Here it comes like this:
Basil Zempilas: Ceremonies, swimming
Bruce: athletics (track and field)
Hamish: hosting duties
Giaan Rooney: swimming
Tamsyn Manou: athletics
Dave Culbert: athletics (track and field)
Steve Hooker: athletics
Mark braybrook: rugby

2 Likes