2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

Sounds like same as what they did for the Sydney Olympics

3 Likes

When the fixtures for the state leagues were announced late last year it was revealed that Seven would not show the early round matches if they clashed with the Commonwealth Games. At that time I was suggesting why the matches could not be streamed online.

This is what I think of programming during the Gold Coast 2018 Games:

• Keep Sunrise where it is but with a shortened format.
  • The Morning Show will take a break from 5-15 April.
  • 6PM News will remain.
  • Today Tonight will possibly still air in Adelaide/Perth.
  • AFL - every market will prioritise their schedules. For WA viewers, a Gold Coast v Fremantle game at Optus Stadium will be delayed. For SA viewers, Essendon v Port Adelaide will be delayed.
  • Home and Away will be on hiatus.
2 Likes

if anything there be no morning show as sunrise would still stay till 9am weekedays and 10am weekends just no morning show and afl would be on 7 and the com games be on 7 mate as it is now with the olympic games when home and away and the such would be on

Will Seven not follow a similar programming strategy to Rio 2016?

Promos show 7 & 7Two for Comm Games, so therefore you would assume AFL on 7mate.

1 Like

Seven has come on board as a Commonwealth Games sponsor in addition as official broadcaster.

3 Likes

Out of interest, does anyone have/know of where to find caps/vids of 9’s coverage of the Melb Comm Games in 2006. Also, I forget who hosted 9’s coverage?

Obviously Ken Sutcliffe did, and he hosted the Closing Ceremony I think. Ray Martin and Liz Hayes did the commentary for the Opening Ceremony IIRC.

1 Like

Kenny was the host while Liz and Ray commentators on the Ceremonies.

3 Likes

Wasn’t Eddie McGuire also part of Nine’s coverage of the 2006 Commonwealth Games? Or did he (temporarily) quit TV to become the CEO by that point in time?

1 Like

I have the opening ceremony which I can upload?

1 Like

Not sure you’ll get that one past copyright laws.

4 Likes

Following the conclusion of the Winter Olympic Games, the app automatically upgraded to #7CommGames. There are 36 days to go until the Games begin on the Gold Coast.

5 Likes

i worked in the media centre at the pool. we had a specific room to work in and one thing we had was a TV that had a ton of channels including all the feeds, the 9 coverage and the specfic BBC coverage as well

one thing about melbourne was it was the first comm games outside the UK where the BBC had there own produciton equipment an staff on site rather than taking just what was given to them

they had a global truck parked next to the pool that i needed to go to multiple times a day and got to know the production guys. they even intoduced me to sue barker (who was one of the presenters - but i had no idea)

3 Likes

Desperation. Goldoc is not stacking up the figures well at all. This is a sympathy sponsorship.

Is Seven the host broadcaster or will it be that OB mob, whatever they’re called now?

Will Bruce McAveney be involved?

NEP is the host broadcaster

1 Like

Especially after it failed to get a bank as a sponsor. The four major banks are not interested but I am surprised even the smaller banks and building societies based in Queensland are not interested either.

Thats because everyone outside the GC never wanted it!

1 Like

CUA has their head office in Brisbane and they sponsor some local sport. It would have seemed like a good opportunity for them to sponsor the Commonwealth Games.

Gold Coast 2018 on 7.