2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

What are the rules for spectators? Photographs for personal use have always been allowed. Video? It is impossible to stop spectators live streaming parts of the sport they are watching at the venues, there will be just too many people doing it if they attempted to enforce any ban.

1 Like

There’s a few other people who should be adopting your disclaimer…

it’s been confirmed the troubled 2022 games (which was originally awarded to Durban and than taken form them) has been awarded to Birmingham

Does this mean we’ll see absolutely nothing about the Gold Coast Comm Games in our major papers?

I suspect it will be covered off TV with no on the ground quotes from competing athletes and will be given less prominence in the paper compared to NRL/AFL (delete as applicable).

1 Like

The papers can still interview athletes outside venues and hotels but they will have to compete with other non-rights holders including radio stations.

True, but that very much depends on whether their papers/websites/outlets are still willing to send them and pay accomodation costs etc for less than satisfactory coverage.

Also depends on the media managers of the Aussie Federation accomodating thenm outside of facilities and offering interviews which I can assure you is no given.

Tomorrow (Christmas Day) is 100 days to go to the opening ceremony.

1 Like

I wonder if Kylie Gillies will be part of Seven’s Comm Games team?

She was originally sport journo/presenter by trade and has been part of Seven’s Olympics since at least Sydney 2000.

It’s the only time I see her outside of The Morning Show (although she did do swimming championships last year).

NB/
Mark Beretta should be part of the coverage too, also going back to Sydney 2000. Though he does have Sunrise commitments more than not. Getting him for Aus Open years ago was probably a stretch.

2 Likes

Matthew Keenan will be commentating cycling events at the Commonwealth Games. Not sure it is for Seven or for the world feed. He called last year’s Tour de France and last week’s Herald Sun Tour for SBS.

1 Like

i wouldn’t be surprised if sunrise comes from the goldie during the games

2 Likes

I wonder if Seven News (at least for the 5.30pm Gold Coast bulletin, Brisbane 6pm news and sports segments for Sydney & Melbourne) might even be presented on-location during the Commonwealth Games?

2 Likes

You think there’s any chance that Queen’s Baton will be set on fire during the run? A flame looks better on television than a baton.

1 Like

:thinking: I recall her being a general reporter/producer for Prime in Tamworth

1 Like

I believe so

Both are correct… she started out at Prime in Tamworth where she worked for ten years. When she moved to Seven, she was the sports presenter on Sportsworld and also had other sports reporting roles such as Australian Open and Weekend Sunrise.

3 Likes

Seven’s director of network programming Angus Ross has told Mediaweek that Commonwealth Games will block out all programming for a week and a half but Seven News will remain.
What about Sunrise? And given Seven’s horse racing and AFL commitments, will it have to utilise 7flix to show some events live?

I reckon Sunrise will probably still be on during the Commonwealth Games, with possibly a modified format depending on when the first events of the day are held.

I was thinking that coverage of the AFL (and associated state-based leagues) is more likely to air on either 7TWO or 7mate. 7Flix isn’t available in some regional markets and the AFL would want it’s coverage to be seen nationwide, so Seven would have to keep that in mind.

RACING.COM on 78 might be a possibility for the horse racing?

Flix is played out of Mediahub so unless they have the OB links, it can’t happen.

1 Like