2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

Seven wants to know how good or bad they were, and also how often you read their magazines and websites.

http://click.sevennetwork.com.au/u/gm.php?prm=CIGAy856xf_765670883_868029_172658

1 Like

Did someone record the Closing Ceremony or at least the Joh Griggs and Basil Zempilas ‘apology’ at the end. I admittedly didn’t stay up to the end last night because I wasn’t feeling well and my PVR failed me. I can’t find it on 7Plus either. Many thanks.

If you scroll up this thread there is a link to it on Twitter.

You mean the one someone recorded from their phone of the TV? Isn’t there a better quality video?

Beggars can’t be choosers.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Channel Seven knew the Athletes weren’t part of the ceremony.

1 Like

Again, the issue is being confused. Yes, Seven (like every other rightholder) would have known that athletes marching into the stadium wasn’t part of the formal ceremony. However, what they wouldn’t have known is that NEP (the host broadcaster) didn’t had plans to show at least a montage of the athletes walking in on the world feed either before the ceremony or sometime during it

6 Likes

Surely the minute by minute run down would have included scripts and details of scheduled replays? They’d get the same info that they’d receive for the opening ceremony?

2 Likes

Stop trying to find ways to say that Channel Seven were somehow at fault when it has been quite clearly said that they are not.

5 Likes

agreed

1 Like

7 is not at fault, but it’s ridiculous to think they didn’t have some forewarning of this.

As the article alludes to, they would have been at broadcasters’ meetings in the days leading up where rundowns are provided. Did they try and get the decision changed?

We’ve seen leaks a plenty on the Cricket Australia front, so why didn’t they leak out that there would be no athlete entrance, or indeed report it in their own news bulletins?

Good on Seven for calling it out after the event but I’m yet to be convinced they did everything they could to avoid it happening.

11 Likes

Peter Beattie said today that they had been warned of an outcry and backlash. They chose to ignore the warnings. Seven was probably one of the groups who warned them.

4 Likes

With Seven calling it out, I wonder if that will affect any future broadcasting deals with them?

1 Like

It is not surprising that you want to absolve Seven of all fault, but the reality is for Seven to claim it had absolutely no idea what was going to transpire on the night is comical. Seven need to at least acknowledge they were aware athletes wouldn’t be shown entering the stadium.

11 Likes

But even if they knew, what could they have done? I’d say they’re under confidentially agreements not to reveal anything about the ceremony beforehand.

Could anyone have predicted that o many athletes and spectators would walk out, the way they did? It’s unprecedented.

7 Likes

I could understand if spectators walked out, but the athletes? The ceremony was supposed to be about them and the music performances were planned to create a party atmosphere.

Johanna Griggs today continued her criticism of the closing ceremony debacle on her Instagram.

1 Like

I’m taking about acknowledging the fact now by merely saying something along the lines of “we were aware the athletes and flag bearers would not be shown. It was out of control”.
Joh and Basil were obviously reacting to the social media furore that was being directed at Seven but their response made it appear that Seven were blindsided. That simply is not true.

We’ve witnessed over the past month the result of Seven not dealing with issues. The PR department need to get on the front foot before this heads the same way.

Well, given Peter Beattie (chairman of the Gold Coast 2018 Corp) publicly slammed it at every chance he got today and as they’re directly linked with the Comm Games Federarion, that’d be contradictory.

As in they’re probably glad Seven called it out.

An as the article says and has been suggested above Seven

"was also free to start its coverage earlier than the ceremony’s designated start time and play its own exclusive footage of the team arriving to the cheer of the crowd but aired an episode of MKR (My Kitchen Rules) instead.

It also chose not to mention any of this detail before the ceremony began or at any time during it but only after the official coverage had ended and Twitter had gone into a #ClosingCeremony meltdown."

2 Likes