2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

She’s a more than a little peeved with the ABC article.

9 Likes

That does clear it up somewhat, but it’s stunning there wasn’t better direction from the ceremony producers on what to expect.

1 Like

Banded together with other broadcasters to demand changes? Or as Joh suggested, made other arrangements to ensure that the athletes were featured in the coverage surrounding the ceremony (ie being shown entering, celebrating etc as part of the preamble before the ceremony itself began).

While details may not have been disclosed in the briefing providing 24 hours ahead I’m sure that the production team at Seven had a very clear idea of what to expect days/weeks in advance. There wouldn’t just be three people given a quick rundown the day before.

But the ceremony wasn’t produced by Seven and according to the statement the details of it were embargoed.

Sure, if they knew there wouldn’t be a single shot of athletes, they would have reconsidered it their plans and had a pre-show. But if they just an hour pre-show anyway then people would have complained about waiting so long for it to start, as they actually did with the opening ceremony.

1 Like

Embargoes deserve to be broken on those occasions.

I can’t see that working as a rule though.

If you break embargos, there’s no controversy, so you get penalised by GOLDOC and the Commonwealth Games organisation. If you don’t break the embargo, there’s controversy, but you get off relatively lightly (if you’re Seven) by the CommGames folks, who give you a chance to bid for the rights next time.

1 Like

Griggs accusing Tracey Holmes of having a grudge against Seven because the network proprietor Kerry Stokes sacked Holmes and then Today Tonight host Stan Grant in August 2000 after it was revealed that the pair had been having a affair, and that Grant had left his wife and moved in with Holmes.

Some things should be just left to go through to the keeper, Joh. Don’t think it’s terribly impressive to be getting personal over a closing ceremony…

1 Like

Well she didn’t go into details.

1 Like

Poor form by ABC Radio for not showing any of the athletes either.

No wait hang on

3 Likes

Agreed. Getting into cringe territory at this point, no need to bring dirty laundry into a topic that everyone will have forgotten about by the end of the week (if not earlier).

2 Likes

You think?

And how does underhandedly slutshaming a journalist by bringing up their employment history of 18 years prior help that?

Caps of the Golden Games program: https://imgur.com/a/dHwBR

4 Likes

I’m with everyone here on the state of that closing ceremony, but wouldn’t winning a medal be ‘their moment’?

4 Likes

I think that’s very unfair Matlock.

Tracey’s article was highly inaccurate and Joh just called her out for it, more pertinent with Joh having the guts to do what she did last night.

As if Tracey knew the intricacies of Seven’s Closing Ceremony broadcast/production anyway :joy:

3 Likes

Hear Hear Jo Griggs. Other media outlets and Ch7 haters are trying to find a way to blame Ch7. They are not at fault. Tracey Holmes hates Ch7, Jo Griggs called her out for it. She gives it out without knowing all the facts, she should be able to cop it as well. Well done Jo.

6 Likes

I think we can add Mike Carlton to that list (I noticed he glorified Tracey’s original social media post and even after Joh tried to explain to him, he just brushed her aside).

He’s an grump who hates everything and everyone.

3 Likes

What did Hadley or Jones say on 2GB the next morning, I’d imagine that they chucked a fit.