2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

It was the Commonwealth flag, unfortunately it looked more like 2 flake, 4 potato cakes and minimum chips.

The kid doing the announcements was great, but should’ve had someone there to slow him down.

I think the issue is being confused - the TV rights holders probably would have known about how the organizers planned to treat the athletes. That doesn’t change the fact that the host broadcast began when the ceremony did instead of when the athletes entered the stadium before the actual festivities started

Except most people wouldn’t know who she was. I didn’t know who she was.

2 Likes

Maggie was in the recent Sydney production of Muriel’s Wedding musical.
Anyway, I agree with Lachlan Kennedy there need to be reviews into last night’s closing ceremony debacle.

Here is the GOLDOC statement (via Mumbrella):

The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation (GOLDOC) acknowledges the concerns raised around tonight’s broadcast of the GC2018 Closing Ceremony.

We agree that the ceremony should be a celebration of the athletes and a chance for them to celebrate the end of 11 days of tremendous sport.

It was the intention of the Closing Ceremony creative to have the athletes involved from the very start of the show, enabling them all to be part of the celebrations. This resulted in the athletes entering the stadium during the pre-show, rather than during the live broadcast.

GOLDOC appreciates that this decision therefore did not provide the opportunity for the television audiences to share this moment.

With over half the athletes scheduled to depart the Gold Coast tomorrow, it is understandable that large numbers of athletes chose to depart the ceremony early, to prepare for their journey or attend their own team celebrations.

It was the intention of GOLDOC to celebrate the accomplishments of the athletes and provide them with a great experience. We are naturally disappointed that the good intentions of the creative did not necessarily work for some of the athletes involved and the broadcast audience.

I know that but I’m saying I didn’t recognise her and I don’t recognise the name without the context. She’s not that recognisable yet.

I still don’t who some of the other women, who sang towards the end, are either.

1 Like

Last night’s performers towards the end of closing ceremony involved Samantha Jade, Dami Im, Kate Ceberano, The Veronicas, Katie Noonan and Emma Donovan.

I don’t know Emma Donovan and there was at least one other, maybe two, who I didn’t recognise.

Was Deborah Conway there? She was announced as one of the acts beforehand.

Did you see the article about Sheppard last week?

The performers were offered peanuts to perform and in their case, they said it would have actually cost them money if they chose to perform.

Ill apparently, Kate Ceberano sang It’s Only the Beginning in her place.

Thanks. Probably felt sick after the dress rehearsal. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fitting finish to what was essentially 11 days of a school sports festival.

6 Likes

With the Closing Ceremony debacle dominating headlines, the other big story from the marathon yesterday has been overshadowed.

Who was Singing Say I Love You Anyway, I don’t know who she is?

Does this Answer your Question? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Donovan

Watching the encore and it makes you realise how really bad the closing ceremony was

5 Likes

Well, it answers my question but I had never heard of her before last night.

They really needed to display supers showing who the performers were. These are Australian performers who are barely recognisable to a significant number of Australian watching the telecast - imagine the international audiences - they’d have no idea who almost every performer was.

1 Like

I love most of those performers, and even the songs, and usually try to see positives in most things …but fark… I’m struggling… the song choices didn’t suit the occasion, the poor sound, the poor dancing and choreography, everything was woeful …glad now I was busy last night and didn’t waste my time watching it live
Kate Ceberano’s lyrics said it all “get me out of here…I must have been desperate”…

Seven cut Joh and Basil’s apology in the encore.

1 Like

Not quite sure I’d call it an apology.