2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

I disagree. Had they chosen to produce a live broadcast of their own they would have been able to have more cameras.

2 Likes
4 Likes

The host broadcasters coverage was disgraceful.

1 Like

I believe most of the ABC’s Rio commentary came from a broadcast facility in Redfern, they would have been given clean pictures and audio by Seven.

They were at the venues for these Commonwealth games though, I saw Clint Wheldon calling the swimming in person when I was seated in the press tribunes.

1 Like

They would have been able to show the handing of the flag to the Australian flag bearer live and that is what people most say they wanted to see,.

1 Like

A huge let down after an OK Opening Ceremony. Even Joh and Bas have to apologise to viewers

7 Likes

Maybe News Access Rules meant they couldn’t show footage shot by their own cameras during the closing ceremony?

2 Likes

If they were producing a live program before the ceremony started there would have been no restriction.

1 Like

How were they to know that the ceremony itself would be so bad that they needed to do a pre-show show?

Once again the weren’t allowed to cover it, NEP was the host broadcaster. They provided the feed to Seven, they weren’t allowed more than one camera for the news coverage. Having cameras at the village isn’t the point. If you watch the twitter video it’s clearly explained, the organisers chose to break tradition and not cover the athlete entry for any country. All athletes we’re in the stadium before the broadcast. Seven wouldn’t have been able to cover it whether they had a live show from in there or not. They were the Aussie rights holder not the host broadcaster. It’s a separate thing.

6 Likes

While we are on topic of the host broadcaster, May I mention that their website is down at the moment? Probably a lot of people trying to complain? If so then good on them!

3 Likes

Surely this is going to be cancelled

2 Likes

I agree. Seven had a countdown show prior to the Opening Ceremony.

Tonight, some little cooking show was shown instead of a live countdown. How embarrassing!

5 Likes

I don’t recall any shots inside the venue during the build up to the Opening ceremony either.

1 Like

Btw am I the only one who thinks that the massively long Birmingham performance was terrible?

6 Likes

No, we said that already. At the Olympics it’s usually just a few minutes.

(I just came into the conversation roughly 4 Minutes ago…)

Go back and read the hundreds of negative comments. :joy:

1 Like

Seven were so intent on ramming MKR down everyone’s TV that they failed to produce an intro program to the ceremony. While they might only be allowed one news camera they can supplement the host broadcaster’s coverage with cameras of their own to show reports, commentators, Australian athletes etc. It has been seen repeatedly at Olympic and Comm Games that the Australian broadcasters shows coverage different to that seen on the world feed though extra camera potions.

3 Likes

It is actually eight minute performance for the next host city.