1 News NZ

Oh that’s just awful. Why not just key the weather somewhere else?

1 Like

they have in the past but guessing they may not have been able to do it at short notice? And when things are going wrong it’s probably just easier to get something to air.

1 Like

My amateur caps of the new satellite backdrop and Seven Sharp preview:

2 Likes

There we go! Much better :rofl:

1 Like

One News September 12 2001

Just realised TVNZ put this up last year (I can’t seem to link it properly so you’ll have to click through). Vision of the 6pm One News opener on September 12, 2001 (NZT). There’s the full TV3 bulletin available on YouTube (I’ll post in a separate post below) but surprisingly nothing from One.

As soon as I started playing the video I recognised the United States Under Attack graphic they used on a lot of their coverage that day.

I remember being woken up and flicking between CNN and One and (even as a youngster then) can recall a graphic on Breakfast (or perhaps it was branded as a One News special) that all normal programming had been suspended.

I’d love to see more of the TVNZ coverage but as time goes on it becomes less and less likely it’ll see the light of day again.

2 Likes

As promised, the TV3 opener. It’s not the full opener but it appears both networks took glimpses of the day and used them in their openers.

1 Like

Absolute class anchors on both bulletins at the time. Who was presenting Breakfast then? Hosk and Liz Gunn?

The themes were damn fine too. I’d really love for Newshub to have a go at putting a modern take on the ol’ Carol and John theme for Three’s 30th anni this year.

2 Likes

Yeah I definitely remember seeing Hosking that morning and I would presume Liz Gunn was on with him as normal.

That backdrop is gorgeous! Love it!

1 Like

Always loved that intense hold at the end of the intro music, so dramatic.

3 Likes

And how about Judy in that first intro, reading to 3 cameras in the space of 20 seconds or so.

Melissa Stokes filling in for Daniel this morning, who is on location in Waitangi.

Great use of AR graphics on 1 News tonight in their Waitangi Day coverage.

8 Likes

What they do with the AR Graphics is brilliant! Definitely the best news hour in the country.

2 Likes

Just came across that on Instagram, pretty darn impressive.

1 Like

Is there any way he can be augmented into fortnite? :grinning:

3 Likes

Someone at TVNZ graphics obviously has an old school satellite fetish.

The dish used is, I’m guessing, from Warkworth or at least is a representation of it… plus it’s clearly a radio astronomy dish. The gear depicted wouldn’t have been used for TV for decades.

But I’m just being picky I guess, a bit of license is expected in graphic design so I’m assuming they’re trying to emphasise how TVNZ News is well connected with the world… and nothing says that better than a big satellite dish!

1 Like

Holy shit. John Campbell’s presenting 1 News tonight.

6 Likes