1 News NZ

Would be good to see the back of those screens, they don’t fit in with the circular desks a smaller one would look good just not one that goes all the way to the floor.

1 Like

I don’t see the hassle in them moving over for a couple of seconds? They’re all mic’d up wirelessly now are they not? They have no pens, no papers, all they have to do is log out of their computer.

3 Likes

During all the previews during the 6pm bulletin, there’s a backdrop of various images including a satellite behind Simon and Wendy, and the AB’s behind Sav.

Yeah but it’s a National News broadcast. There are other avenues for televised local news, albeit not ideal, but keep the 6pm bulletin national.

There’s not enough national news to fill an hour. NZ is so connected anyway, that even small community stories work on a national level.

1 Like

It depends on the story telling.

If you present as a fire that damaged a building at Epsom, no one was hurt and there was limited disruption, then no one would care in most of Auckland let alone the rest of the country.

But if you tell the story of a poor widowed woman, estranged from her children, now impacted by a small but intense blaze which has left her with a building but stripped of a lifetime of memories… you have something that works everywhere.

There are no stories that shouldn’t be told… there’s just poor story telling.

3 Likes

Yikes, the scripting on Seven Sharp is over done and poorly delivered.

That exchange about renting out the children was cringeworthy.

If you’re going to try to be funny let it flow naturally, they’re both good performers but that was so hammy.

Same for the first report… trying too hard.

3 Likes

What being a national bulletin does do is actually makes big international news more likely to lead, in my opinion. A lot of those regional stories would be fine leads for local bulletins but since we don’t have them, I reckon international stories often become the default lead. Which is mostly good.

Check out a lot of the Aussie metro bulletins and they lead with the weirdest shit.

6 Likes

Can confirm.

1 Like

Yep, a 30 minute bulletin works much better. We can cut the US-stories too, they’re only padding.

Speaking of which, 1 News is half an hour tonight due to the Black Clash cricket

1 Like

Bollocks. Plenty of Editors have rubbish bins full of it.

You have something that works on Seven Sharp or The Project, but not the 6pm news. Keep that for the news, not the emotive stuff, thanks.

Sorry, that’s bollocks… what you have is crap editors, not to mention sub par reporters and producers.

No one is suggesting that absolutely every story should be told, of course there are plenty of things that aren’t going to make the cut. If you took that from what I said then you’re being deliberately obtuse.

And even then not every story is going to set the world on fire (yes, yes pun intended) but it can be made at least a little more accessible and interesting.

It’s not “emotive stuff” it’s about making a connection with your audience and knowing who they are and how to be relevant to them.

Facts and compelling story telling aren’t mutually exclusive.

The days of the stoic news reader presenting a laundry list of facts are long gone.

3 Likes

Because tonight’s 6pm bulletin was half an hour due to the Black Clash cricket, there was no sports presenter. Simon read the sport.

Dan Corbett still did weather.

1 Like

You’re living up to your handle… well done. :grinning:

It IS emotive stuff, that’s what stories are, that’s why people like them. Prostitution is not the oldest vocation, storytelling is.

And I never said newsreaders should sit statuesque dryly reading the autocue. What I am saying is the focus of national news bulletins should be on news that has implications for the entire nation. Not just a few people in a suburb that happens to be close to a reporters flat, as in the Epsom house fire example.

2 Likes

All I said was story telling should be compelling, relevant and accessible… and that a good reporter doing that can make pretty much any story interesting.

I don’t believe you really have a problem with that.

This exchange is now really getting quite silly… particularly because I think we both agree on the main concept that their are stories that don’t necessarily belong in a national news (again my point was about story telling nothing more). If you want to explore the Epsom fire example, it would have to have some exceptional circumstances to warrant inclusion.

Perhaps the wider debate is do we need an hour of news anymore? There’s a lot of crap in these bulletins in Australia and NZ.

One already had an hour of news and current affairs (Holmes) when Three expanded to an hour and One felt the need to follow. Since then things have changed and we all have the internet etc. Is one hour of news really needed? Particularly when there is a lot of filler in there. Maybe 45 mins of national news and 15 mins of regional news or regional opt outs.

And yes, I’ve been around the industry for a while, I do know what I’m talking about… af least a little bit. (Some media companies have been stupid enough to pay me) :grinning:

By the way I said stoic… not statuesque… statuesque is a good thing… there should be more of it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

tonight’s 1 News opener was just Into with couple headlines the straight to presenter. Background is darker maybe the Tonight background. Seems to be no graphics so far the TVNZ 1 watermark as appeared. Few problems?

1 Like

Must be. The normal TV1 bug is showing instead of the news one too.

No studio shots after ad breaks just a presenter zoom also no news wall story shots.

Edit; no sports presenter just Melissa at desk.