1 News NZ

Paul and Kay were great, I liked the pairing better than Paul and Pippa too. Both were far far better than Hayley and Jack combo though. That show now is so devoid of any personality they may as well cut costs and get robots (bilingual of course) in to replace them. lol

3 Likes

For me, Toni Street & Rawdon Christie and Paul & Pippa were the best pairings.

Re: Hayley & Jack, couldn’t agree more. When Hilary was there, it wasn’t particularly better either.

I don’t find Hilary a very easy watch at all on 1. After her years working with Paul Henry (another one of the best combos IMO), seemed to me on Breakfast (and now Seven Sharp) that she is trying to do her best PH impression.
Hayley at least is herself but doesn’t make the show any less of a borefest. Just my opinion.

I think Breakfast would still be going strong if Jeanette Thomas had joined Rawdon on the couch way back when, instead of Nadine.

I think the ratings would agree with you!

1 Like

I’ve always wondered if TV3’s Sunrise would’ve led the ratings had it not been axed before PH’s resignation from TVNZ. The Petra Bagust-Corin Dann duo didn’t shine as brightly as hoped…

1 Like

The Oliver Driver/Carly era of Sunrise was great. They should have persisted with it but it was on the back of the GFC and more financial issues for Mediaworks.

There’s been so many missteps with Breakfast recently. Personally, as weird as it sounds I’d try someone like (new TVNZ signing) Scotty Stevenson on Breakfast as the male host with someone like Anna Burns-Francis. Then I’d be grooming Jack to take over from Simon as newsreader at some point.

2 Likes

I quite liked Sunrise and there was a real positive vibe across the team I thought wasn’t present on Breakfast. Oliver Driver was a great addition to the show.

If TV3 held out a bit longer who knows what might have happened.

2 Likes

Ooh yeah. Scotty’s a great nab for TVNZ.

Yeah it could well have. I forgot about Petra & Corin! Awful but I didn’t think Petra deserved all the flak she got, Corin was not suited at all to breakfast tv and she tried to overcompensate a lot I thought (yes too much a lot of the time but still)

Now you’re talking! Very engaging as a host. Not many that can carry a show on their own but when she fills in for Hayley she really shows Jack and the rest of them up

1 Like

I think Jack has a long long way to go before I’d ever want to see him as replacement for Simon. He still shows huge signs of immaturity and would take a lot for him to build up credibility for such a big permanent role.

Come to think of it there are not many males at TVNZ that have the type of seniority as Simon, especially with the retirement of Peter and loss of Greg. Daniel Faitaua doesn’t really do it for me either, who else is there? Probably no to Matt McLean aswell, he would be in the same pool as Jack atm imo.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, they’ll just poach the next guy from Mediaworks!

1 News at Six with Tom Mcrae and Melissa Stokes?
I’d tune in for that!

1 Like

TVNZ must have bigger plans for John Campbell other than a podcast and a weird story about trains. Or would Dallow’s replacement need to be younger (they are both the same age. 54)

He’s due to begin filling in across shows this year and will no doubt go to RWC. But I agree, haven’t seen a great deal of productivity so far.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but neither 1 News or Newshub do introductory straps for their newsreaders at 6. (I have a vague feeling TVNZ1 might do sometimes but they haven’t over summer). It’s a mystery as to why they don’t, especially if there is a fill-in reader. At least on three they sign off with their names at the end but they don’t on 1.

1 News have always had introductory straps haven’t they? 3 last had them in the 2008-2011 package if I’m not mistaken.

Possibly. I know they haven’t been introducing Anna Burns-Francis that I’ve seen. They both used to employ voiceovers too.

Newshub briefly had presenters names under the logo of their intro bumper.

1 Like

Ok there was a name strap for Anna tonight, but I don’t think it’s been on there all the time.

Even this here is cringe as…

1 Like

Breakfast returns tomorrow morning, as an Australian, it just seems so weird that in 2019 a breakfast TV show has such a long time off. Today and Sunrise only have Christmas Day off.