1 News NZ

Crazy that four presenters are needed to present the programme (unless they will rotate?).

I like Jenny-May and the racist comments about her on social media are disgusting. Matt McLean on the other hand- strikes me as a lightweight.

Also, with Jenny Suo potentially out of a permanent presenting role here, seems to leave even more presenters ‘on the bench’, assuming Daniel Faitaua is the permanent Tonight presenter (unless she is moving to Morning Report?)…

1 Like

Yeah, the money just isn’t there, not for such a small (but perfectly-formed, I might add!) country as NZ.

Remember that they’ve had four presenters for years - it’s just that until very recently each had very clearly defined roles (lead presenter, sidekick, newsreader, weather), so it was less crowded than it is now. Plus until a few years back they’d usually send the weather person out on location, so only three were in the studio.

Yeah, never liked him (not on Breakfast, anyway). Have him host the reality shows - he’d be really good there.

3 Likes

There are a number of good newsreaders ‘on the bench’ such as Jenny and Wendy and yet Daniel Faitaua is given a role. I know he has his fans and that includes TVNZ management but after watching him over the Christmas/NY holidays I find him to be the dullest and lackluster newsreader in the country.

He probably agrees and is desperately waiting for the call up. Unfortunately he is stuck doing what he trained for… news reporting, but any camera time is better than none :rofl:

3 Likes

Matty might be good paired with Hilary on seven sharp

They have presented together before and in my opinion they had good chemistry and they very much bounced off eachother. I also feel that Matty would suit the light-hearted nature of the stories on Seven Sharp rather than the segues between serious and funny on Breakfast.

1 Like

I was glad to see Wendy on this week and Melissa as well over summer, agree, Daniel is not my cup of tea.

As for Jenny, we haven’t heard when or if Hayley is returning post mat leave so there could be an opportunity to fill sports reading half the week with Chris moving to Breakfast.

2 Likes

I am thinking that Laura James or Kate Nicholl-Williams would be a good fit for US correspondent

@medianz Emmerdale usually screens on TVNZ 1 at 12.30pm (following the midday news), but there may not be room for the British soap if Te Karere moves from 4pm to that slot.

On the weekends, 1 NEWS at 6pm would run for half an hour and include an extended weather forecast at the end of the bulletin. This would be followed at 6.30pm by a full half hour bulletin of sports news along with reviews of the weekend’s sporting events.

Back in 1980, TVNZ used to air a weekly sports show on Saturday evenings called Sports Review. It was described by the NZ Listener as ‘a look at the major highlights of the day’s sport, plus a summary of results’.

It appears that TVNZ’s own news and current affairs lineup is going to be more exciting by poaching some members of the Newshub staff. For instance, Alice Wilkins would replace Daniel Faitaua as anchor of 1 NEWS Tonight.

I think the thing about Daniel is he needs someone to bounce off. He was really good on Breakfast, worked well with the others as ‘the serious one’ (which goes back to what I was saying earlier about each presenter having their own role). On his own he is perhaps a bit lacklustre, yeah. Nice man though, by all accounts.

As for Tonight, that show just hasn’t been the same since Greg died. It’s been musical presenters since he left - Jenny was supposed to be the presenter but she was on Breakfast more than her own show!

Apparently Simon did one day this week as well? (Sunday, according to the TVNZ site)

Na pretty sure Daniel did Sunday I think.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like any graphics changes on 1 news during their promo that just played now.

1 Like

@OnAir With Chris Chang moving to Breakfast, which returns next Monday (23 January), it is intended that Hayley Holt will return to TVNZ and continue her duties as sports anchor sometime in the future. In the meantime, the role of sports anchor within the 6pm news is shared by Andrew Saville, Abby Wilson and Jenny Suo.

Neither TVNZ1 or Three were live for Jacinda’s announcement.

2 Likes

TVNZ had a flipper up by 1:20pm.

4 Likes

It was on Sky News in Aus - assume in NZ as well

2 Likes

Yep SNA was the only TV broadcast live from what I could see.

2 Likes

Chris Chang led a 1 News breaking special at 1:39pm.

Intrigued to see whether Dallow is back tonight at 6pm…he might not be in the country. Might even anchor from Wellington whoever does it?

1 Like

Background

5 Likes

Daniel anchoring as per for this week.