1 News NZ

From the article:

Indira Stewart is moving to a new role as an in-depth multimedia reporter, telling stories for digital and Q+A.

She will also present the Midday news every Friday.

Wonder who will replace Anna as US corr? The Breakfast changes are a start but IMO they don’t go far enough. I’d get rid of Jenny-May and Matty and start afresh. Chris is good - him and someone like Melissa Stokes, with Anna on news might be good. I don’t think they need a separate weather person. Then Wendy can go back to the 6pm news where she belongs (but not necessarily weekends - week on week off with Simon, maybe?)

2 Likes

Good changes. I do wish they’d go back to more clearly defined roles though - nothing wrong with a group discussion or involvement but what do we take from this. ABF is newsreader, Chris is co-anchor with Jenny-May but will also be doing midday Newsreading?

A good source (and I may have posted this before) told me a while back that when the changes were happening in 2020, Simon and Wendy pitched to do something like 4 on/4 off including reading Midday but it was rejected.

2 Likes

Anna is great - brought heaps to the show when she used to fill in for Hayley. Chris is good too. But Jenny May and Matty. :person_facepalming:

Same, I think that’s the biggest problem at the moment.

9 Likes

You did post that before - I remember well. Shame it never happened - would have been a good way of keeping them both on. Or even if they’d stuck with the COVID arrangement (2-2-5-5 over a fortnight). But I digress.

I don’t think Breakfast has ever really recovered from Paul Henry’s sacking (as justified as that probably was). Rawdon was good but he just didn’t bring in viewers. JC was awesome (as he is on everything) but seemed a huge contrast with the other young and funky hosts. The less said about Kamahl the better, and now they’re just coasting.

7 Likes

100%. Rawdon was probably the best there’s been since PH imo - downfall was Nadine being Ali Pugh’s maternity cover (they didn’t seem to click at all) and of course PH making inroads on Three. But I think if Melissa Stokes was co - hosting then they wouldn’t have had to make the drastic changes they did…

2 Likes

Maybe Jenny Suo is moving to be US correspondent since she was nowhere to be seen in this announcement, unless I missed something

Jenny S, Wendy P, both are under utilised in presenters schedule. They should move back over to WBDNZ. TVNZ will appoint a mid senior reporter for America. They should bring back Foreign Correspondent, filing stories from UK, USA and Australia. Currently 1News is in holding mode for the public merger outcome before launching the Decision '23 Campaign and relaunch post Newshub revamp using AR Studio.

Chris Chang the new newsreader…

1 Like

Problem is theres already under utilized staff at WBD, fully agree with you though in regards to Wendy and Jenny

1 Like

Is Anna moving back to New Zealand or staying in New York?
If she moves back who will be the US correspondent?

23 of Jan I don’t understand why they continue to have almost 2 months off. News doesn’t stop they need a summer edition and they wonder why viewership is down

3 Likes

If TVNZ were game enough and wanted to really change things up, this is my take on what the should do…

5:30 - 8am: Breakfast with Michael Morrah, Melissa Stokes & Katie Bradford - starting earlier to compete with TV3. Poaching Michael Morrah as he would bring a much needed firm style to breakfast, complimented by Melissa and Katie could focus on business/markets. News bulletins would be every 20 mins and be read by Michael and Melissa.
8am - 10am: Breakfast Extra with Jenny May Clarkson & Matty McLean - a two hour lifestyle & infotainment show. Chris Chang would provide news/sport/weather updates every half hour.

12pm: 1News Midday with Chris Chang - half hour news, sport & weather, with finance/business/market updates included on a ticker and live cross.
12:30pm: Te Karere with Scotty Morrison - moving Te Karere to a better time slot, straight after the main afternoon news bulletin.

3pm: 1News Update with Simon Dallow (5min) - a quick roundup of the news of the day so far.
4pm: 1News Update with Simon Dallow (5min)
5pm: 1News Update with Simon Dallow (5min, on TVNZ 2)

6pm: 1News at Six with Simon Dallow - half hour punchy news, sport & weather bulletin. Lots of live crosses, shorter SOTs/VTs. Sport is presented from a “sports desk” in the newsroom. Weather is a short update, with the extended forecast at the end of 1News Focus.
6:30pm: 1News Focus with John Campbell & Wendy Petrie - an in-depth closer look at the day’s news. Exclusives, one-on-one interviews, and studio panel discussions. (Weekends would remain one hour bulletin but with the added addition of more long form stories)
7pm: Seven Sharp with Hilary Barry & Jeremy Wells - a light hearted look at the day’s events. Includes heartwarming stories from around NZ, celebrity IVs, and political satire.

10:30pm: 1News Tonight with Alice Wilkins - poached from TV3.

7 Likes

Not sure 16 Dec - 23 Jan is almost two months.

It has been explained multiple times in this thread as to why they have that time off, so if you “don’t understand” that is your fault really.

It would be unsustainable to continue to produce the shows over summer - mainly for viewership. New Zealand is still very quaint/old-fashioned in the fact that the vast majority of people take this time off for holidays and are late-risers. Try find an open cafe over the last couple of weeks and it’s been quite difficult - a lot of businesses shut down til this week or next, a law firm I engage with on occasion isn’t back until next week either. While YMMV - the country does shut down for 3 weeks or so.

Australia they can do it through weight of population, as well as the early risers in states where they don’t have DL savings.

7 Likes

Over the break, Three or 1 might as well air Today, Sunrise or News Breakfast from 7 or 7:30-9am NZ time. There just isn’t the demand for it it seems in NZ and not cost effective to do it.

2 Likes

This isn’t a bad shout. Today used to air on Prime - but they cut it due to licensing costs after the end of the Prime/Nine ownership.

1 Like

There isn’t the staff to produce the shows.

New Zealand doesn’t have A and B teams /weekday/weekend teams like Australian newsrooms do.

2 Likes

Loving this line up, especially the 6.30pm 1News focus as we get the best of hard news before soft at 7pm. Te Karere deserves a better slot than 12.30pm imho. Its been stated there are no A or B teams to help produce summer editions of our news programmes but is it possible to let the interns or fresh out of broadcasting school students along with some experienced staff to help produce the summer editions or even just a one hour morning news show over the holidays.

It could be possible but I don’t know if the networks see it as a priority, partly as it also relates to more teams than just on air and producing, there’s studio crew, editors, media exchange staff, master control, out-of-studio camera ops, ect.

5 Likes

That’s a heck of alot of roles to help produce a news product, can see how they wouldn’t bother with a little watched one hour summer morning news show. Thanks for giving context to this.

1 Like