YouTube

It is and i would recommend all members to private their Nine content videos on YouTube as they can erupt again.

Looks like that my channel won’t be dedicated to Nine Perth anytime soon and instead make the move to Internet Archives for TV contents.

How are we going to complain Nine about it? It’s like things being stolen, so they should’ve emailed us.

If you take out the comerical breaks, I don’t think it would be a problem.

2 Likes

Did you upload the promos in their entirety or only portions of them?

1 Like

Let me get this straight, Nine had taken down the Monkey Mia documentary and the Bad Moms promo.

To cut a long story short: Nine these days seem to want viewers on their YouTube channels rather than those of others, so late last year they started cracking down on third party users with their content.

Ultimately it was due to copyright concerns from them (and to some extent, Seven when they started cracking down) that I closed down SydneyCityTV Videos.

2 Likes

According to SydneyCityTV Videos, he made the decision to close his YouTube accounts because of CHannel 9 issuing copyright strikes effective from 1 January 2019.
I think Channel Nine as well as Seven will start issuing copyright strikes for people who uploads Nine or Seven content on the YouTube sites. I think its better that you should upload some videos onto the Archive.org website. Similar to what Zampakid does.

2 Likes

Damn, now it’s my time to really make the move to Archive.org but uploading will take longer than what it is on YouTube. BTW, I’ve privatized all of the Nine/Seven videos including the sponsor billboards.

Does Australian Broadcast Corporation and Network Ten follow suit as well?

Here’s my page:https://archive.org/details/@zidane_hartono

1 Like

I would have thought so as ABC has got their own YouTube channel as well as The Weekly YouTube Channel. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Network TEN has their own YouTube Channel like Family Feud (2014-18), Studio 10 (2013-present).

1 Like

Prevention is better than cure, so my focus on the YouTube channel will be mainly on bus/train related content whatever you would call it.

As i said, I’ve hidden all of my Nine content from 2016 to now including weather forecast on Nine News Perth (Who likes seeing the weather girl on Nine Perth and the dress she wears?).

I would like to thank everyone for making your say about it and to apologize for being mad.

I have my Channel Nine SPonsor Billboards that have been uploaded on YouTube (like the NRL Grand Final and the Origin Sponsor Billboards). I noticed that one other YouTube user has copied my video and uploading it as a spare. I am partially concerned that Channel Nine is going to issue a copyright warning about it. Should I delete this if my videos are at risk or not?

1 Like

I’m afraid that’s your decision. Probably private it or make copies for archive.org before deleting it on YouTube.

Look I’m thinking that I’ll delete a couple of my YouTube videos (Nine) as Nine will be issuing copyright strikes. I’ll still keep my YouTube channel where it is.

1 Like

There is no fair use provision in Australian copyright law. Perhaps there should be, but the best we have under the Copyright Act 1968 is the provisions of ‘fair dealing’.

This essentially grants copyright exemptions for uses such as review/criticism, research/study, news-reporting, judicial proceedings or parody. Unless you’re monetising your channel (and frankly, you shouldn’t be), you are able to argue your channel fits one of these exemptions - most likely for research/study, although this in itself is debatable.

There is one other detail to this provision, however. What is seen to be ‘fair’ dealing depends on how much material you are copying. This is the problem with the Act as I see it - uploading a 30 second promo could be seen as fair by one copyright holder, but a breach of copyright by another.

Channels I’ve seen here uploading full contemporary news bulletins will find themselves most likely in breach of the law. On the off chance I make a video nowadays, I stick to montages and scoped bulletins which removes any substantial copyrighted content. A 10-15 minute video of a 1 hour bulletin has a better chance of being seen to be fair than reuploading the entire program.

I am not a lawyer, but I do have a working and practical knowledge of media law. Perhaps unfortunately, Nine - as any copyright holder - are able to send copyright strikes your way. They are well within their rights to, and finding another website to put them onto doesn’t change that.

4 Likes

Hey @AustralianAerial, I noticed that a few other YouTube users upload videos that contain Channel Seven and Nine content on their screens. I have subscribed to Australian TV Fan YouTube channel (aka TV.Cynic) and noticed that there were lots of Seven and Nine videos on the screen. there is a lot of concern for YouTube users who have still got videos that contain Seven and Nine content. I am feeling that SEven and Nine will be starting to hand out copyright strikes for YouTube users.
It would be a better idea that you should tell users that have a YouTube account via Private Message that if they have videos that contain Nine and Seven content, then they should either privatise it or just create a www.archive.org account and just upload them on the screen.

I wonder if Nine will eventually claim copyright on multiple stills captured from a single video program.

Archive.org is not a free-for-all either. From their rights page:

What happens if I post content that infringes someone’s copyright?
if the Internet Archive is made aware of content that infringes someone’s copyright, we will remove it per our Copyright Policy. We have a policy of terminating the accounts of users who we determine, in our discretion, to be “repeat infringers” of copyright.

3 Likes

The FTA networks probably won’t go to the extent of tracking down content that is uploaded onto Archive.Org (there are entire documentaries and television specials uploaded on that site), but then again, anything is possible.

Honestly, i’m surprised that I haven’t received a copyright strike from Nine or Seven (…yet).

1 Like

Oh the gall of Channel Nine.

They claim copyright, but then rip YouTube footage copyrighted by others for their own gain.

As below (with ABC footage here seemingly YouTube sourced). Not for the first time I’m sure.

4 Likes

ABC Copyrights my uploads to YouTube however they just take analytics and not monetise them. However don’t upload anything with Golf in it. They will get taken down.

1 Like

My original videos of concerts have copyright claims on them as the music and/or lyrics are matched to the composers and publishers. I’ve never had any concert videos deleted, they are just monetized to the copyright owner.

1 Like