Your Money

Surely Foxtel can revert it back to Sky News Business which seemed to be a successful operation?

5 Likes

As opposed to Yesshop which lasted a full month in Australia before the owner went bust. :joy:

5 Likes

Although these probably donā€™t count being technical trials and all, I donā€™t think the 3D channels of 2010/12 outlived Your Money either! :laughing:

Thanks for the remainder :joy:

1 Like

Howā€™s that going to work with their NRL coverage?

2 Likes

Move it to go

2 Likes

Nine are in the process of chatting with Disney to extend their SVOD deal, perhaps they could encourage Disney to give them rights to freeview and launch 9DisneyHD? Movies and family programming, would be a good mix.

3 Likes

Fetch have CNN and BBC World News in HD. Al Jazeera English is available in HD online streaming.

Mbps is the unit youā€™re thinking of. Lower case ā€˜bā€™ for bits and upper case ā€˜Bā€™ for bytes. 8 b(its) = 1 B(yte).

2 Likes

If the Foxtel guide is anything to go by, looks like Your Money will bow out at 4am AEST on Friday morning

6 Likes

The Freeview guide indicates the same.

3 Likes

7flix? :rofl:

1 Like

Thatā€™s early - thought it would have closed after trading ended on Friday.

2 Likes

Last locally produced program scheduled is Your Money Live 6:30pm-7:30pm AEST on Thursday, with Fox Business shows replacing Your Money encores through until 4am

3 Likes

Thatā€™s their choice, they could revive elements of Sky Business and used Fox as filler.

News wouldā€™ve known that the channel could flop, the parties are exercising the contingency in the JV, so it was up to them to have content available.

1 Like

Would that conflict with Stan?

1 Like

They could theoretically use it to showcase the full suite of content available on Stan. Iā€™m surprised we havenā€™t seen more cross promotion for Stan on Nine post Fairfax merger.

Do Nine really need a fifth channel?

Iā€™d honestly prefer it if they used the bandwidth that Your Money is going to leave behind by adding a HD version of one of their existing multichannels (yes I know the 9Now streams are in 720p, but Nine HD is in 1080i on terrestrial TV), especially since SBS will soon have three MPEG4 HD channels. The other four FTA networks need to finally pull their fingers out by at least providing their viewers with two HD channels, I think.

2 Likes

Well, SBS and Seven Queensland has proven that MPEG-2 simulcasting is on the way out. Iā€™d like to see them convert 9Gem from MPEG-2 SD to a standalone MPEG-4 HD channel and then launch a 5th channel.

2 Likes

Good point, but I thought Seven Queensland having their main channel in MPEG2 HD was less a case of wanting to abandon the SD broadcast and more because there wasnā€™t the playout space at BCM to cater for separate SD & HD versions of the Regional Queensland channels - may also explain why there isnā€™t a HD feed for Seven Gold Coast.

I do agree that MPEG2 and SD simulcasting is (slowly) on the way out though. The picture quality of the main MPEG2 SD channels looks really rough now compared to ten or even five years ago.

Theoretically at least, Nine should be in an even better position than SBS (who also have seven audio-only radio channels on DVB-T to keep in mind) to have three channels in MPEG4 HD.

Although aside from sports coverage, Iā€™d personally prefer to have 9Go! in HD instead of 9Gem. Sure thereā€™s the obvious legacy factors, but itā€™s incredibly odd to have coverage of the NRL and The Ashes cricket from England airs on the same channel as those British mystery dramas and movies predominately aimed at older female audiences. At least having the AFL on 7mate makes sense because the channel is predominately aimed at blokes!

Back on topic now, I wonder if weā€™ll get a ā€œYour Money has ceased transmissionā€ placeholder slide on at least LCN-95 (or 85 in NBN regions) after the channel goes off air at 4am Friday?

I agree the technical limitations would have forced them to do it. Either way, itā€™s a step in the right direction.

I agree. Whichever channel has the most HD worthy content (sport) should get the upgrade.

2 Likes