Your dream TV network

A dedicated channel, FOX Rugby Union on Channel 505 (if Fox retains the rights to Rugby Union matches).
This channel will air Live Super Rugby matches, some Six Nations matches, Sydney Sevens, The Rugby Championship, London Sevens, Autumn Internationals. As well, they will show archives of the past Rugby Union matches from the Wallabies, All Blacks, England, Springboks, Argentina. They will also air a new TV program, Rugby Insider. The Rugby Insider will have the analysis, lineups, and also some interviews with guest players.

1 Like

Just called Fox Rugby I’d think.

2 Likes

Sky NZ used to have a specific rugby channel, I think all of it got moved to Sky Sports 1.

A new channel, Fox Football on CHannel 507 (If Fox retains the rights to Soccer in Australia)
This channel will air Live A-League matches, W-League matches, Socceroos Qualifiers for the FIFA World Cups, AFC Champions League, AFC Asian Cup. They will also show replays of some past A-League matches, old Socceroos matches. Also, they will have a new TV program - Football Insider. Football Insider will have the analysis, lineups and also some interviews with guest players. As well, they will show highlights of the matches from the week.

1 Like

Absolutely no chance… No 1. They are cash strapped and No 2. The will NOT retain these rights hence they just got a one year extension to allow time for the FFA platform to be developed

There is a dedicated football channel - it’s called Optus Sport. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Mixed network featuring Seven, Nine and Ten programming

Weekdays
5:00am Early News with Natalie Barr
5:30am Good Morning with Karl Stefanovic & Allison Langdon (Mon-Tue)/Sam Armytage (Wed-Fri), newsreader Natarsha Belling, sports presenter Mark Beretta, weather presenter Sam Mac, and entertainment presenter Brooke Boney
9:00am This Morning with Larry Emdur & Kerri-Anne Kennerley, and newsreader Angela Cox
11:30am Morning News with Mark Burrows (Mon)/Davina Smith (Tue-Fri), sports presenter Mel McLaughlin, and weather presenter Natalia Cooper
12:00pm Judge Judy
12:30pm Entertainment Tonight
1:00pm The Chase UK
2:00pm Tipping Point
3:00pm The Chase Australia
4:00pm My Market Kitchen
4:30pm Afternoon News (Sydney) with Ann Sanders, sports presenter Matt Burke, and weather presenter Amber Sherlock. (Melbourne) with Peter Mitchell, sports presenter Tim Watson, and weather presenter Livinia Nixon. (Brisbane) with Georgina Lewis, sports presenter Wally Lewis, and weather presenter Garry Youngberry. (Gold Coast) with Bruce Paige and Amanda Abate, sports presenter Dominique Loundon and weather presenter Liz Cantor. (Adelaide) with Rebecca Morse, sports presenter Warren Tredrea, and weather presenter Amelia Mulcahy. (Perth) with Monika Kos, sports presenter Matthew Pavlich, and weather presenter Scherri-Lee Biggs.
5:30pm The Bold and the Beautiful
6:00pm Nightly News (Sydney) with Mark Ferguson, sports presenter Cameron Williams, and weather presenter Angie Asimus. (Melbourne) with Peter Hitchener, sports presenter Tony Jones, and weather presenter Jane Bunn. (Brisbane) with Sharyn Ghidella and Andrew Lofthouse, sports presenter Shane Webcke, and weather presenter Tony Auden. (Adelaide) with Kate Collins and Brenton Ragless, sports presenter Mark Soderstrom, and weather presenter Kate Freebairn. (Perth) with Susannah Carr and Rick Ardon, sports presenter Basil Zempilas, and weather presenter Michael Schultz.
7:00pm Home and Away
7:30pm A Current Affair
8:00pm The Project
9:00pm Late News with Peter Overton, sports presenter Erin Molan, and weather presenter Tony Auden (from QLD).
9:30pm TBA

Weekends (news programming only)
7:00am Weekend Good Morning with Monique Wright & Matt Doran, news presenter Sally Bowrey, sport presenter Rebecca Maddern and weather presenter James Tobin.
10:00am This Morning - Weekend with Kylie Gillies and David Campbell.
5:00pm Afternoon News with Chris Bath, sport presenter Roz Kelly and weather presenter Amanda Jason.
6:00pm Nightly News - Weekend (Sydney) with Sandra Sully, sport presenter Matt Shirvington and weather presenter Amanda Jason. (Melbourne) with Jennifer Keyte, sport presenter Stephen Quartermain and weather presenter Melina Sarris. (Brisbane) with Jonathan Uptin, sport presenter Adam Hegarty and weather presenter Paul Burt. (Adelaide) with Jane Doyle, sport presenter Tom Rehn, and weather presenter Gertie Spurling. (Perth) with Angela Tsun and Tim McMillan, sport presenter Tim Gossage and weather presenter Amelia Broun.

1 Like

Garden Shed Television

by Jim Sullivan

This article was first published in the NZ Listener - 13 May 1991.

New Zealand television is up for grabs and I’m expecting a cheque from investors in Tokyo (I’ve asked them for $1 million) to fund my long-awaited local channel.

Julian Mounter need fear no longer for the future of New Zealand culture. Once the cash arrives I’ll be on the air.

With network television channels seemingly destined to become repeaters for overseas programmes the day of “parish-pump” television is at hand. The US already has television operating out of bedrooms and garages and, with an injection of foreign capital, my own situation, housed in the garden shed, is ready to go.

The rush to set up UHF local channels is already on, with one planned for Dunedin any minute and a new channel scheduled in Nelson in July. No doubt there are others, and all these new broadcasters face the problem of finding enough material to fill the schedules.

In the interests of preserving our culture, I’m happy to share my own schedules with anyone planning a local channel. Once the money is in from Tokyo, I’ll buy a video camera and a transmitter. Then negotiate a few contracts with suppliers and Garden Shed TV will be on the air. Once the viewers have seen what can be done with a few thousand dollars, they’ll wonder why hundreds of thousands of precious New Zealand On Air money was spent on The Billy T James Show.

With a weekly budget of $3,500, I’ve already been able to set up Garden Shed TV’s first week’s schedule. It includes a gardening session and a books programme, which puts us ahead of TVNZ and TV3 right away.

Here’s a typical day, chosen at random from the first week’s listings for GSTV. (Notes from our programme meeting are included in brackets as a guide for other entrepreneurs.)

TUESDAY
Noon-2.00 Live coverage from security cameras at local Westpac branch
(Should an armed robbery take place during this time, it will be rescreened in GSTV News at 6.00. Offcuts will be edited into “GSTV Candid Camera” for Thursday night.)
2.00-2.30 Aerobics Kiwi Style - filmed at local gym. (Same tape can be seen every afternoon at this time; no one will complain as long as thighs and buttocks predominate.)
2.30-3.30 Kids’ Stuff (We take our cameras to the local kindergarten while the teachers have their nap and the kids tear the place apart.)
3.30-4.00 Afta Skool Live coverage of Story Time at the local library. (As a contra-deal the City Librarian will be able to read out the names of subscribers holding overdue books.)
4.00-6.00 Rush Hour special (Live coverage from the cameras monitoring some of the city’s busiest intersections. Any fatal or serious accidents will re-screen in GSTV News at Six.)
6.00-6.30 GSTV News Highlights from the day at the bank and the intersections, plus comprehensive coverage of the Births and Deaths column of the local paper - by arrangement. (Sports news will include live coverage of action from the pool table in the local pub.)
6.30-7.00 Issues - local affairs discussed by locals. (Recorded on a selected bus as commuters travel home earlier in the evening. Hosted by local radio breakfast DJ.)
7.00-7.30 Quiz - general knowledge quiz. (Direct from the lounge bar of the Commercial Tavern.)
7.30-8.30 I Do - a compilation of wedding videos supplied by viewers.
9.00-10.00 Tuesday Documentary - “One Big Happy Family” A look at the USSR. (Courtesy of the Soviet Embassy.)
10.00-10.30 Comedy - “Point of Order” - live coverage of last half-hour of tonight’s City Council meeting.
10.30-12.00 Go to Bed For God’s Sake - highlights from today’s Teletext transmission. (Operator can leave at 10.30 - time switch will close channel at midnight.)

The total cost of this typical evening’s programme is about $500, plus sandwich and coffee for operator at 8.30pm. (You may have noted break in transmission at this time in the above schedule.)

Between programmes local retailers will be able to come in and talk directly to the camera about their wares, at $30 per 30 seconds. Budgeting for 50 spots at $30 each gives an income of $1,500 a day. $500 would go on costs, $500 for the boys in Tokyo and $500 for me. The investors would thus earn $182,500 a year. This represents an 18.25 percent return on their $1 million investment. Not bad with mortgages down to 13.5 percent.

I would also earn $182,500 a year. Enough to do an episode of The Billy T James Show and build a decent garden shed.

Who said local television won’t work.

@TV4 What do you think of Jim Sullivan’s Garden Shed Television (GSTV) piece for the NZ Listener? I’ve done some research at Tauranga Library some time ago, as most public libraries (right throughout New Zealand) have older issues of the Listener.

4 Likes

That’s right up my alley. The funny thing is, GSTV would still work today! Now, all I need is a shed.

2 Likes

An update to ECC TV1. Complete with a programming grid:

Highlighted cells in yellow are reboots of old shows:

• Beauty and The Beast - with someone like Issac Butterfield or FriendlyJordies as the Beast.
  • Good News Week - Paul, Mikey and Claire. What else needs to be said?
  • Good Game - before the ABC cut it. Gotta have Bajo and Hex as hosts.
  • A mashup of Media Watch and Gruen - a total overview of media and advertising.
  • Sports Today/Tonight - sports news, reviews, opinion and analysis.

Highlights cells in green are either movies or live sports, depending on season. Ideally, ECC TV (including TV1, 2 and 3!) would hold the rights to:

• NRL games, plus State of Origin, finals, All-Stars, Grand Final, Australian rep games
  • AFL games, plus finals and Grand Final
  • Super Rugby and Wallabies games
  • NBL, plus Boomers games
  • WNBL, plus Opals games
  • BBL and WBBL
  • Australian Tests, T20 and ODIs
  • NFL, including the Super Bowl
  • NHL, using either NBC or CBC/Rogers game of the week
  • NBA, using NBA on TNT
  • MLB, using Fox game of the week
  • English Premier League
  • Hockey One
  • PDC darts
  • UEFA Champions League
  • UEFA Europa League
  • Serie A
  • Ligue 1
  • La Liga
  • Football World Cup

And finally, I’d actually setup a multiplex like this, all MPEG4 and HD where possible:

• 4 - ECC TV1
  • 40 - ECC TV2 (schedule coming soon)
  • 44 - ECC TV3 (time delay with some exclusive content, schedule coming soon)
  • 400 - ECC Weather Channel (24-hour weather with a news ticker)
  • 404 - ECC Radio 1 ((S)Hits and Mammories)
  • 400 - ECC Radio 2 (Talk)
  • 444 - ECC Radio 3 (Random)
4 Likes

Nine News Now
Channel 99/59 (replacing 9GO! simulcast)

Nine News Now (NNN) is a 24 hour live news channel.

The channel is programmed on Sydney/Melbourne Time. For most of the time, the feed is national, but there will be certain times when the feed will change to a state-based feed. These will be defined below.

The channel will be presented from Nine in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, with additional presentation from Adelaide and Brisbane. It will be produced from Sydney.

A basic Monday-Friday guide would look like:

5:00am - Nine News Early Edition - Simulcast
5:30am - Today - Simulcast
9:00am - Today Extra - Simulcast
11:30am - Nine Morning News - Simulcast
12:00pm - Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN
1:00pm - Cuomo Primetime - CNN
2:00pm - Nine News Now
4:00pm - Nine Afternoon News - Sydney
5:00pm - AEST: Nine News Now
5:00pm - AEDT: Nine Afternoon News - Brisbane
6:00pm - Nine News - Sydney
7:00pm - AEST: Nine Afternoon News - Perth
7:00pm - AEDT: Nine News - Brisbane
8:00pm - AEST: Nine News - Perth
8:00pm - AEDT: Nine Afternoon News - Perth
9:00pm - AEST: Nine News Now
9:00pm - AEDT: Nine News - Perth
10:00pm - Nine News Late - Premiere Shown live on NNN, then delayed on the main channel
10:30pm - A Current Affair - Encore from last broadcast episode
11:00pm - New Day - CNN
1:00am - 60 Minutes - Encore from previous evening/old episodes from 60 Minutes worldwide (Stylised as “Classic 60 Minutes”)
3:30am - Best of Today - Highlights show from both Today and Today Extra, similar to Today Extra Summer
4:00am - Monday - State of the Union - CNN
4:00am - Tuesday to Friday - CNN Newsroom - CNN

Variants:

Programming is pre-empted by the following:

Footy Classified (in QLD/NSW)
100% Footy (outside QLD/NSW)
Full Time with Crawf (National, 10:30pm, remainder of time Nine News Now)
Freddy and the Eighth (National, 10:30pm, remainder of time Nine News Now)
Talk of the Town (National, 10:30pm, remainder of time Nine News Now)
Other Footy on 9, NRL on 9 and Rugby on 9 content

Whenever there is rolling coverage/breaking news, it will pre-empt whatever programming is on NNN (e.g. a cyclone in QLD with all day coverage on 9 QLD, is simulcast on NNN).

Nine News Sydney and Nine Afternoon News Sydney is replaced with Nine News Melbourne and Nine Afternoon News Melbourne respectively.

If major U.S. news breaks, NNN programming is pre-empted by CNN coverage. This is accompanied by NNN presenters, in a similar set-up (although not as elaborate) as the 2020 US Election coverage.

When daylight savings time differs the broadcast time of CNN programs, Nine News Now (or Best of Today between midnight and first programming) is shown in the difference.

A basic Saturday guide would look like:

7:00am - Weekend Today - Simulcast
10:00am - Today Extra Saturday - Simulcast
12:00pm - Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN
1:00pm - Cuomo Primetime - CNN
5:00pm - Nine News First at 5 - Sydney/National
5:30pm - Nine News First at 5 - Adelaide (If national only, then Nine News Now continues)
6:00pm - Nine News Saturday - Sydney
7:00pm - AEST Nine News Now
7:00pm - AEDT Nine News Saturday - Brisbane
8:00pm - Nine News Now
8:00pm - AEDT Nine News Saturday - Perth
9:00pm - AEST Nine News Now
9:00pm - AEDT Nine News Saturday - Perth
10:00pm - Nine News Late - Premiere Shown live on NNN, then delayed on the main channel
1:00am - 60 Minutes - Encore from previous evening/old episodes from 60 Minutes worldwide (Stylised as “Classic 60 Minutes”)
3:30am - Best of Today - Highlights show from both Today and Today Extra, similar to Today Extra Summer
4:00am - CNN Newsroom - CNN
6:00am - Amanpour - CNN

A basic Sunday guide would look like:

7:00am - Weekend Today - Simulcast
10:00am - Sports Sunday - Simulcast
11:00am - The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer - CNN
5:00pm - Nine News First at 5 - Sydney/National
5:30pm - Nine News First at 5 - Adelaide (If national only, then Nine News Now continues)
6:00pm - Nine News Sunday - Sydney
7:00pm - AEST Nine News Now
7:00pm - AEDT Nine News Sunday - Brisbane
8:00pm - AEST Nine News Now
8:00pm - AEDT Nine News Sunday - Perth
9:00pm - AEST Nine News Now
9:00pm - AEDT Nine News Sunday - Perth
2:00am - CNN Newsroom - CNN
4:00am - World Sport - CNN
4:30am - Best of Today - Highlights show from both Today and Today Extra, similar to Today Extra Summer
5:00am - CNN Newsroom - CNN

3 Likes

In the UK, there was a mocks website called “Afternoon Programmes Follow Shortly (APFS)” which ran until 2006. People from all over Britain submit their mock designs on that site.

And I discovered that APFS Network was ‘home to 16 independent television companies who operate Channel 6 commercial licenses throughout the regions of the UK’. The APFS Network subsequently became 6-Net and Network Six respectively.

During the first half of 2004, according to Wayback Machine, the APFS Network encompassed the following:

• ThreeCastle (Northern Scotland)
  • Thistle (Central Scotland)
  • TV4U (Northern Ireland)
  • TVB (Borders and Isle of Man)
  • Television North (North East England)
  • theTV (Yorkshire and Lincolnshire)
  • Magnet (North West England)
  • Dragon (Wales, West and South West England)
  • Spectrum (Midlands)
  • TV East (East of England)
  • Lontel and ETV or Exelon (London)
  • TeleSouth (South and South East England)
  • TVCI (Channel Islands).

The Borders, Isle of Man and London had two separate franchises: one for weekdays and one for weekends.

As a savant of the New Zealand media, I have discovered the world of mocks for many years and I have created “PTV Network New Zealand” (company name: “Patrick Te Pou Enterprises Ltd”) as my dream television network. I describe PTV Network as ‘New Zealand’s newest commercial broadcaster, providing a wide range of local and international programmes for audiences across the country and online’, and my intention is to put all New Zealanders ‘in the mood’ for the best news, sport and entertainment.

PTV Network’s slogan, “In the Mood”, was taken from a Glenn Miller song, which was used by Channel Seven in Australia back in 1990. For the PTV Network version, the network’s music video would combine appearances by a variety of New Zealand faces, who appear on the network’s programmes, with the finest retro pinups in the country as ‘PTV Network gratefully supports the New Zealand pinup community by working closely with a number of events and festivals through sponsorship’. From my point of view, it is intended that the events and festivals involved in supporting my network would include:

• Kumeu Classic Car & Hot Rod Festival (Kumeu)
  • Muscle Car Madness (Rangiora)
  • Rodders Beach Festival (Orewa)
  • Rebel Round Up (Pukekohe)
  • Classics at Ohope (Ohope, near Whakatane)
  • Caroline Bay Rock and Hop (Timaru)
  • Beach Hop (Whangamata)
  • The Very Vintage Day Out (Auckland from 2012-2019; Kumeu from 2021 onwards)
  • Kaikoura Hop (Kaikoura)
  • Takapuna Rocks (Takapuna, just north of central Auckland)

(TRIVIA: The term ‘pinup’ was first coined in 1941 when American soldiers would pin drawings or photos of women in their bunks or in their aircraft. Today, women from all over the world still dress up as pinups.)

In future, I will be uploading a series of mocks (including graphics) in relation to my network and post them to Media Spy as dedications to the people throughout the forum. Believe me.

@foxyrover @OnAir @nztv @TV4 @Zacgb @MichaelPower

1 Like

I was part of that! I had the Channel Islands and Northern Ireland areas.

Boy did I have some time on my hands back then!

2 Likes

@ElCapitanCranky You got a lot of memory in regard to the APFS Network. Tell me more about it.

1 Like

IIRC, all of the participants had certain requirements to “produce” local and networked programming depending on how big the area was - sort of similar to ITV. We had to come up with mock graphics for pretty much everything. There was a scheduling “committee” (probably just Markmcm) and a network schedule was worked out from there.

Eventually independent “producers” came on board (users who had no “licenses”) and it went from there.

I also had a half-share in the Welsh/West license as well, but we gave that up to let someone in. I did rebrand my areas to The New NI and the New CI (after the Canadian NewNet).

3 Likes

@ElCapitanCranky Thanks for letting me know!

We had a similar thing on MS years ago, with full schedules and GFX.

@TVHead Precisely, can you give me an example of what a typical week’s schedule looked like?

I remember that one too. I think I was in charge of that one - feel free to correct me.

Some annoying poster called Big Dan ran it, I think. Thank god strange people like him and Firetorch are long gone.

1 Like