Wollongong Radio

So he started at the Macquarie Network.

1 Like

I’m listening to i98fm right now and someone is filling in for Maje’s Drive shift. Carrie & Tommy are on from 7pm.

2 Likes

Welcome @Jock, great you’ve taken the time to sign up and comment. Looking forward to more of your contributions.

Interesting to see on i98’s website this afternoon that there’s no mention of Marty, Christie & Crammy under the list of Shows or anywhere on their website. There’s not even a mention of it on their Facebook page, with their cover photo simply saying “Feel Good i98FM”, which was updated earlier this afternoon.

Hmmmm
 :thinking:

31st January Update: The i98FM website now has a Breakfast page, but no mention of who presents it.

2 Likes

Any update on this? What’s happened to the team? Surely Marty’s not gone?

Wouldn’t surprise me. It’s no secret Marty has wanted out for years.

1 Like

Remembered this being mentioned yesterday and had a quick listen before 9am today. Marty was on air with Lyndal Rogers (the 9-12 announcer). Looks like a shake up is in the works. I do remember seeing advertising on their site for the return of the Breakfast team in mid January but all presenter information under Breakfast has now been removed.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’ll all come out soon.

Christy has probably left.

Can i98 stay at #1 overall if the current breakfast team wrap up?

This would be Wave fm best chance of doing some damage in the ratings for a while.

Only if Marty leaves will Wave have a chance.

1 Like

This current uncertainty with i98FM breakfast reminds me of the time of what the station went through in 2002.

It was the year that it stopped providing its own call team for Steelers/Dragons matches, which had been a tradition for 2OO/i98 from 1982 to 2001. The Continous Call Team from 2GB (its first year on that station) took its place on Sunday afternoons.

In the first ratings survey of that year, i98FM continued to dominate the market with 28.4%, well ahead of Wave FM’s 16.3%. In breakfast, i98’s Alisha & Coasty, who took over from Maroon & Milly two years earlier, scored 28.1%, well ahead of Wave FM’s Phebe & Dave, who took over breakfast at the beginning of the previous year, who scored 17.9%.

However, after that survey, Alisha & Coasty split up, and Marty Haynes, who came from FM104.7 (now hit104.7) Canberra breakfast, took over the breakfast slot.

This was a golden opportunity for Wave FM, who had long been struggling at a distant 2nd. That year, it had modernised its Adult Contemporary music format by playing more music that was pitched to the younger market without sounding too much like i98 & Power FM. They also moved its studios from North Wollongong, that they had long held since its 2WL days, to Warrawong in the southern suburbs. It also aired TV ads on local TV, particularly on Prime, with its “The Big Turn On” campaign.

It paid off big time, with the 2nd ratings survey of 2002 showing that Wave FM had snatched the #1 spot from i98FM after its overall share went up 5.3% to 21.6%, whilst i98 went down 7.8% to 20.6%. In breakfast, Phebe & Dave took the #1 spot with 22.7%, up 4.8% from the previous survey. I don’t have the figures of how i98 breakfast with Marty went, but it was at 2nd.

2003 would prove to be the year that i98FM would get its mojo back. Whilst Wave FM would win its 2nd consecutive ratings survey at the first survey of the year (22% to i98’s 19.9%), as well as in breakfast (23.3% to 20%), i98 takes back the crown at the 2nd survey of that year, thanks to changes that have been made during the 1st half of the year. Marty has been joined by Erica, reuniting the two that have presented breakfast together back at FM104.7 in Canberra, whilst the station had dropped the Continuous Call Team from its lineup until it returned for one season in 2012.

In the 2nd ratings survey of 2003, i98FM had an overall audience share of 22.4%, ahead of Wave FM’s 19.7%, with Marty & Erica winning breakfast with 21% to Phebe & Dave’s 18.7%.

In the 2nd survey of 2004, Wave FM’s Phebe & Dave took the #1 spot in breakfast with 26.4% to Marty & Erica’s 23.3%, but i98FM remained at #1 overall.

Since then, Marty & Erica remained on top until the latter departed in 2009. Even so, her replacements, Bianca Dye, followed by Fairlie Hamilton, and then Marty, Christie & Crammy, continued to dominate breakfast for i98FM, well ahead of Wave FM’s countless breakfast teams since Phebe & Dave ended in late 2007.

It will be interesting to see what’s happening with breakfast on i98FM. WIN is not as strong as it used to be since it lost the Nine affiliation (with WIN News now a distant 3rd in the 6pm timeslot behind Seven News & the local Nine News), and yet i98FM continued to rate comfortably ahead of Wave FM, both overall & breakfast. Will this latest uncertainty be the next golden opportunity for Wave FM, especially if Marty leaves i98FM?

Time will tell.

2 Likes

Also it’ll be interesting given the current positive momentum over at Grants.

I would not be surprised if Power fm also goes up slightly in the next Wollongong survey too.

That means Marty & Crammy would remain on breakfast, and that a golden opportunity for Wave FM has been dashed.

1 Like

Will Christie leaving i98 allow her to get more acting opportunities down the track?

From Radioinfo:

Lyndal Rogers will move off mornings and replace Christie on the breakfast show until further notice.

Wonder who will do mornings, at least in the mean time? Lyndal, formerly of C91.3 breakfast, replaced Lachy last year after the latter left the station after 15 years.

1 Like

Gees. Not sure if that’s a strong enough line up.

Bianca Dye is out of work now Robin’s back at 97.3FM. Maybe she could return to the Gong?

1 Like
2 Likes

I don’t get why a simple change from “Christie” to “Lyndal” with the i98 breakfast line up means all the show branding on their website had to be removed immediately & changed to “i98 BREAKFAST”.

Wouldn’t it be more presentable to just change a single name & make it look like you still have a breakfast show?

What this tells us is WIN Radio obviously have another announcement to make in due course.

It is the same as how 2DayFM just became “2DayFM Breakfast” when all the rotating shows were occurring.

1 Like

According to their website, Wave FM now has “The Hangout” at 9-10am weekdays, where its breakfast team of Jade, Straney & Trav treats listeners to an extra hour of exclusive artist performances, interviews & more.

More details about it below.

The station’s weekday line-up is as follows:

6-9am: Jade, Straney & Trav
9-10am: The Hangout
10am-2pm: Andy
2-5pm: Lydia
5-7pm: Kate, Tim & Marty
7-10pm: The Random 30 Countdown

1 Like