Wollongong Radio

That now means both Wave & i98 are taking syndicated programming from 7pm on weeknights, with the latter airing Carrie & Tommy since earlier this year. Wave no longer has the advantage of having locally-generated programming on weeknights that it had since that time.

2 Likes

So Wave is now “the best music” all day and then the hottest hits at night?

Combined with the fact they’re using the Hit Network colours, they really do want to be like 2DayFM.

2 Likes

Also two stations carrying the same program consider Power fm having significant overspill into Wollongong.

Wave would have only just picked up this show within the last week.

2 Likes

Yes, the “Random 30” wasn’t on Wave when listened last week, but it is tonight.

1 Like

Wave FM’s website does mention the fact that they now air The Random 30 countdown.

2 Likes

But how many listen at night? Not enough to budge the breakfast ratings the way a great evening program locks in extra audience on a talk format such as Stan Zermanek, AW Nightline, Bob Francis or Jeremy Cordeaux.

@Deano was at 2DAY in the 90’s back when it was a success, perhaps he wants to channel that era or perhaps completely unrelated?

According to the recent Wollongong radio ratings, Wave was ranked 3rd in the 7pm-Midnight slot with 15.8%, in contrast to ABC Illawarra’s 27% & i98’s 21.1%.

1 Like

Yes, the audience numbers, are far less after PM Drive for radio as people arrive home and turn on the TV or streaming. Radio has the biggest audience during its four dayshifts. Nights are but a fraction of daytime audiences is what my post was about.

2 Likes

That’s a fair point.

With that in mind, here are the cumulative audience figures by sessions from the recent ratings.

Breakfast

i98: 85,200
Wave: 61,500
ABC Illa: 43,800
JJJ: 34,900

Morning

i98: 50,400
Wave: 39,600
ABC Illa: 28,500
JJJ: 21,000

Afternoon

i98: 60,600
Wave: 45,300
ABC Illa: 27,800
JJJ: 26,000

Drive

i98: 71,800
Wave: 54,000
JJJ: 30,300
ABC Illa: 28,100

Evening

ABC Illa: 10,500
i98: 9,600
Wave: 8,200
JJJ: 5,200

4 Likes

That’s all the audience who listen to shifts during that survey, the actual number of them listening at any one time is far lower. Average audience exposes the ‘what if my ad was on during…’ question.

1 Like

Yes, very few would listen to the entire shift.

1 Like

According to their website, Wave FM are now airing Kate, Tim & Marty at 4-6pm Saturdays.

2 Likes

This year’s i98FM Illawarra Convoy, that was held on Sunday, raised a total of $2,760,974.

1 Like

It appears that it will now air at 5-7pm weekdays from Monday 20th January according to its page on their website.

That will leave i98 as the only commercial radio station in the Illawarra to be local after 5pm.

3 Likes

i98 now take SCA shows now in drive

4 Likes

Maje is on drive right now? Website has him scheduled 3-7pm, Carrie & Tommy 7-9pm

That’s news to me. :flushed:
As @AustralianAerial mentioned, there’s no mention about it on their website airing it during drive time.

If that’s true, that means ABC Illawarra is the only major station in the region to have a local drive program, which airs until 6pm. Even with Wave now airing Kate, Tim & Marty, at least they’re local until 5pm.

BTW, welcome to the forum, @Jock. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ahh OK maybe it’s late drive.
Good show Carrie & Tommy.

1 Like

Interesting to see the former WIN News presenter giving praise about a radio station that is a rival to his former company’s own radio station.

Then again, Geoff Phillips was a presenter on Wave’s AM predecessor, 2WL, in the 70s & early 80s before he jumped ship to 2 Double O (now i98).

3 Likes

What hat… I’ve never seen Geoff wear a hat.

2 Likes