WIN News

WIN has gone all out in the promo department ahead of Nine News Regional’s launch with new promos for their Victorian bulletins uploaded to their respective Facebook pages. Nice of Bruce Roberts to travel hundreds of kilometres from Wollongong for a few seconds of footage.

Albury
Ballarat
Bendigo
Gippsland
Shepparton

8 Likes

Central West montages from Monday and Tuesday night

6 Likes

Nice touch, but the down side is, WIN News is no longer even produced in Victoria. Nine News will most likely take advantage of this in their promotion.

9 Likes

Those promos aren’t half bad, pretty good for WIN’s standards.

Riverina promo

3 Likes

I’m surprised by the fact that WIN are even running these promos with 9 Local News moving in, didn’t expect to see much from them at all but good to see nonetheless. Secondly the quality of them isn’t half bad at all, if only they still didn’t look like a 9 affiliate.

5 Likes

How do they claim 25 years?

I’m pretty sure Local News didn’t start there until 1993.

1 Like

Transplanted from the “Nine News Regional” topic

TBH, I see no problem with the WIN logo itself. The rounded “WIN” wordmark is a callback to the old yellow WIN-4 station logo with the same rounded font. And the graphics they are currently using seem somewhat connected to Ten Eyewitness News.

However, the WIN News logo seen OTS on-set is the one that has to go. How hard is it to replace it with the new gradient WIN News logo used in promos and the watermark? The opener is also what hurts.

4 Likes

I believe there was a news update produced from Wollongong broadcast during National Nine News into Riverina/Central West in 1992.

4 Likes

Yeah I suppose that counts :stuck_out_tongue:

Riverina montage

Another promo

2 Likes

So you’re saying they’ve only done it 24 years…and so they’re lying?

WIN debuted an integrated half hour bulletin on 6 July 1992, which covered local, national and international news across the Riverina and Central West markets. This was WIN’s first foray into the western NSW markets.

Source: http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?filename=0&article=2883&context=theses&type=additional

Quite an interesting read, written by people in the know.

4 Likes

UOW appears to have what remains of the WIN archives, so there would be access to good material in the collection.

Happened across this local weather update for Mackay…

I wonder if this is where they got their inspiration for that theme?

2 Likes

Very interesting indeed.

To clarify, WIN Central West and Riverina had a local/national news combo (not unsimiliar to what Nine is doing now) in 1992 which was axed. This was replaced with nothing. Then replaced with news updates aired at 6.25pm leading into National Nine News then the Riverina bulletin was launched in December 1993, with the Central West bulletin launched in February 1994. Maybe this news updates was what I was thinking.

Back to the future for Nine Regional News?? “By 1993, it was becoming clear that the people of western New South Wales had not accepted this mingling of local and national news. There was a small core following, but the bulletin showed no signs of attaining the ratings success enjoyed by Prime”.

2 Likes

It’s library music from Audio Network.

https://www.audionetwork.com/browse/m/track/world-news-7-sting_1499

2 Likes

I’m not disputing what you’ve said (thanks for the info too), but I’m sure I recall seeing a TV guide at some point during 1992 which listed “Sydney Extra” at 6pm for Orange/Wagga (this was on at 5.30pm in Sydney).

Lol, that opener uses part of the Al Jazeera finance segment theme song!

(0:55)

1 Like