WIN News

Totally agree. It’s a stale format and there is plenty of opportunity to improve the presentation with a minimal outlay. How about a real set (maybe buy NBN’s old one on eBay) and a ‘live to tape’ recording - rather than bashing out the intros down the lens one after the other?

I must say I’m surprised WIN hasn’t toyed with a 60 min composite bulletin in any markets since they cut that in Tas. I would have thought it would be a golden opportunity to try it out in Canberra for example, where there is no local competition 6-7pm. Surely having double the adbreaks to sell would be worth it? And really it could cut down on content needed to fill a ‘half hour’. 7Tas regularly broadcasts with 15mins or less of local stories in their 60min bulletin.

1 Like

Yep because let’s count, shall we?

Herald-Sun: 1 reporter in a churn and burn story set-up
Bendigo Advertiser: recently had its rival merge into it and is hiring, like other stablemate papers, for a “property reporter” rather than a reporter who will expose any issues. Look at Catalano’s previous MO with suburban papers in Melbourne: focus on property advertising and increase lifestyle content at the expense of actual news.
ABC “Radio”: Three news reporters stretched across TV, online and radio, a local breakfast show - one announcer, one producer and a local “digital features” reporter.
Local FM: one breakfast journalist/newsreader who also has to do another region.

The end.

Win may not have done a fuckload of original reporting but what TV does is keep accountability because people have to front up for the cameras. They also had a broader reach in that region than the others listed above. Win covered Swan Hill well, which is already poorly served with only a local paper. (Its ABC is shared with Mildura, another area with shocking coverage.)

Many think “oh well, why does this matter?” Because when the media decides you don’t matter, many others - companies, government - follow suit. And there’s less accountability and scrutiny and knowledge of what people are doing in your area.

We saw this with suburban media but no one said much. Now there’s no newspapers or even real coverage of more than two-thirds of councils in metropolitan Melbourne. One recently signed a deal with Woolworths for it to build a public library in exchange for approval to build a supermarket. Aside from a national property website, this went unreported apart from a council press release which of course suggested it was a great deal. But the council got heaps of money from Woolies - don’t ratepayers deserve to know this?

Regional media is now, particularly in Victoria. Arguably it’s already been decimated in NSW.

Next it’ll be the metro media. When 10 goes national, which seems particularly likely, there’s one less reporter asking questions of the SA premier or the QLD police commissioner on behalf of the local community.

Yes, mass media is imperfect. But in the absence of the so-called “citizen journalists”, who apparently 10 years ago were going to save the profession, it’s the best we’ve got. We, as media consumers, and particularly as those with a keen interest on this site, need to fight for and champion news media services.

So let’s stop with these arguments that Win’s local news disappearing won’t do anything. Look at SA and perhaps let’s ask residents in Loxton and Mount Gambier - or even Mildura in Victoria - and ask what’s happened since Win left.

11 Likes

once win news go statewide herer in westen vic all we going to have esp here in ballarat:The Ballarat Courier , abc ballarat and south west victoria news (radio) and grants (radio) news both maybe one or two stories local to ballarat ,sometimes three on a good day

Ten weekend news is national, isn’t it? And SBS every night?

Forgot about SBS! With that said, do they employ any journos outside of the capital cities? Been a while since I last watched a bulletin so excuse my ignorance.

10 News First on weekends is national (except for Perth) and is the closest example we have from a commercial network, but is certainly focused on its O&O markets in the five capital cities.

2 Likes

Don’t know about SBS World News proper, but surely the multicultural broadcaster would at least employ some indigenous journalists based in regional/rural Australia for NITV News?

I’d agree that 10 News First: Weekend Edition is largely focused on the network O&O markets with limited coverage of regional Australia.

Bringing it back to the topic of WIN News, IMO there are far worse ideas than trying out composite bulletins with a mix of local/state/national/international content. But I wonder if WIN have avoided going down that road because they see 2017-20 Nine News Regional as a failure from SCA/Nine?

1 Like

Cynical me wonders if that might be the plan - or at least a local window within the statewide bulletin - but that’ll be announced as a concession in response to any backlash to their originally announced plans.

Hard to say what WIN’s motives are aside from cutting costs. What they have never really done is actually try to attract new viewers with a better product. 60 min all-in works for NBN, Darwin and Tas. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work (as it did in the past on CTC) for Canberra. I would say some of the lack of audience appeal for Nine’s experiment was that it was produced in Sydney, which had a marked impact on story selection.

If you’re going to have a newsroom producing stories, it seems a shame to waste them at 5.30, when there are more viewers 6-7.

1 Like

Given there are a lot of these issues don’t get coverage by local media, it’s hard to see them getting coverage from anywhere else

7 Likes

… looking at all these comments one thing is clear, people expect local news coverage from regional commercial television because, to them, it’s free … if people were willing to pay for their news, like they did in the past when there was a thriving local newspaper in every regional market that people bought, there wouldn’t be this problem …

No, because it’s the easiest way to provide the mandated local content.

… “easiest” is dead right … it’s only had to be “mandated” for broadcasting because National party pollies were worried they would lose their ability to talk to their electorates once people stopped buying local papers …

If it was 1998.

Why would you pay for free to air television?

2 Likes

… you wouldn’t … that’s the whole point …

Louis Gillett has left win news ballarat

It has nothing to do with anyone paying for the service. WIN broadcast a service on a public spectrum and make millions out of doing so. They must meet their obligations to the community and that includes local news services. If profits are more important then they should have their broadcasting license taken off them.

The government appears to have accepted their excuse as to why this happened after the government providing millions of dollars in Covid assistance. Their main excuse being the funding ends in August. However they should be made to pay it back pro rata

Nope, gotta be more heartless than that.

Just tell WIN they do as they’re told, reinstate proper local bulletins or turn in their licenses. And warn everyone else, especially Nine, they’re next.

But we know that won’t happen, and they’ll get off scott free. They’ll even get to keep the money. Just you watch.

2 Likes

They have been, and will be. You keep implying that WIN isn’t and won’t be.

7 Likes

Their service is not adequate even prior to the latest cuts