WIN News

WIN splashing out on new equipment.

“The biggest challenge for us will be the earlier deadline, bringing the news forward means we have to work quicker during the day.”

Mr Irvin said WIN was introducing new technology to “make it quicker to produce the news”.

2 Likes

A preview/update/promo for a story on WIN News CQ from a few weeks back. Interesting mixing of theme music with both the 2005 and current theme featured. WIN Queensland still uses the 2005 theme music when going to break on news bulletins, but the first time in a long time I’ve heard it used for updates.

2 Likes

[quote=“Moe, post:348, topic:214, full:true”]
WIN should certainly move it now and delay Nine News to 6:30 - get viewers used to the change now, or they’ll tune in to the Project at 7pm on Friday and switch off.

I wonder what the Tasmanian schedule will be?
[/quote]It should be what it is currently now but cut back to 30mins instead of the full hour as it currently is - 6pm-6.30pm as it will be across the network come July.

That would imply carrying Melbourne’s 5pm news though, if they followed the general east coast schedule. I’ve suggested Family Feud for 5:30 before, I’d think that would be better than a lead in of Melbourne news.

[quote=“Moe, post:378, topic:214, full:true”]
That would imply carrying Melbourne’s 5pm news though, if they followed the general east coast schedule. I’ve suggested Family Feud for 5:30 before, I’d think that would be better than a lead in of Melbourne news.[/quote]They’d have to find something to air at 5pm if they were to do that. Don’t ge me wrong, I like your idea but the Melbourne News for whatever reason seems to rate reasonably well in the state whereas I’m not entirely sure about FF competing as strongly as a lead-in for local news. WIN’s 6pm News could be strictly local news content (think ‘Six O’ clock’) with the national/international stories left to Ten in their news hour.

Or if they were to run with your idea of Tasmania to differ from the other regions and for FF as a lead-in for their news, maybe they could have FF at 5pm with a spilt local focused bulletin and a national/international (with special feature stories included) like they did many years ago with ‘Six O’ clock’ and ‘WIN National News’ bulletins.

1 Like

I’ve suggested previously putting Bold & The Beautiful at 5 - with WIN made filler at 4:30 - Alive and Cooking for one example, but they’ve got other stuff.

I don’t think they can make inroads against SC with Melbourne news as their lead in, or that they could justify production costs on doing something at 5 themselves.

Taking Melbourne news on the weekend hurt them badly, I think they need to make sure that only Tasmanian produced or national bulletins air. Equally I think WIN need to maintain a local Tasmanian weekend bulletin - at 6. Even though Ten themselves don’t do it, they’ll never recover on weeknights if people can’t get into a habit of tuning into WIN nightly at 6.

5 Likes

[quote=“Moe, post:380, topic:214, full:true”]I don’t think they can make inroads against SC with Melbourne news as their lead in, or that they could justify production costs on doing something at 5 themselves.

Taking Melbourne news on the weekend hurt them badly, I think they need to make sure that only Tasmanian produced or national bulletins air. Equally I think WIN need to maintain a local Tasmanian weekend bulletin - at 6. Even though Ten themselves don’t do it, they’ll never recover on weeknights if people can’t get into a habit of tuning into WIN nightly at 6.[/quote]Yes they were annihilated last time they did this but I think it’s worth a try at first for weeknights, but if it fails then they should be looking at a national/international news bulletin for 5.30pm, followed by a heavily focused state-based bulletin for 6pm with nightly special feature stories of interest. Then for weekends, WIN could continue with airing Ten’s national weekend 5pm bulletin followed by their own state focused bulletin at 6pm (again with special feature stories included).

Goes without saying, but they need to heavily promote their news and their point of difference of going strictly local at 6pm (their current promotional strategy offers nothing and doesn’t encourage a switch to them at all).

1 Like

I would incorporate Neighbours at 5.00pm

2 Likes

Tasmania will be Family Feud at 5.00pm, WIN Local news 5.30pm to 6.30pm (Tasmanian produced - no split) lead into The Project at 6.30pm

6 Likes

That could work, people might start watching the news a bit earlier and not switch to Southern Cross at 6. Good move. I had wondered if they’d try something like that.

1 Like

[quote=“2tribesmedia, post:383, topic:214, full:true”]
Tasmania will be Family Feud at 5.00pm, WIN Local news 5.30pm to 6.30pm (Tasmanian produced - no split) lead into The Project at 6.30pm[/quote]If that’s the case then, at least WIN are finally trying something different to get an edge over the tough competition that exists in SC 6pm. Makes sense and now I really hope they structure the bulletin in a way so that relevant local news content is aired so that keeps their viewers sticking around for the second half and not switching over to SC when it hits 6pm - i.e. put a story to air in the first half and then tease and encourage them to stick around with references to a broader/more in-depth reporting on local related or other major news items. Also add special feature stories etc. More local reporting needs to be their angle and advertise like that.

2 Likes

If that is the plan for Tasmania, I wonder why not make that the schedule everywhere?

Because unlike Tasmania, all other bulletins air for 30 minutes…

2 Likes

Sydney news update shown on WIN Queensland tonight; I’m sure every one in regional Q was interested in the weather in Sydney tomorrow.

5 Likes

Well, at least Queensland got a taste of what HD news looks like outside of Nine News: Early Edition and Nine News Now! :wink:

4 Likes

That’s probably because this east coast low that supposed to hit tomorrow will affect QLD & NSW.

1 Like

What is going on?!?
These NSW 9 News updates keep airing on WIN here too, i’ve seen a fair few of them over the last week or so.

Most weekends Sydney news updates are aired into Queensland from what I’ve witnessed.

4 Likes

News update followed by promo tonight in Queensland!

5 Likes

With the affiliation switch in less than two weeks, I’m guessing that WIN really don’t care if the Sydney news updates are shown in Queensland at this stage! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes