WIN News

I’m sure Geoff Phillips is a top bloke away from the cameras. But from what I’ve seen over the years, his reading style is a bit over-cheery (not quite Belinda Russell levels mind you, but still…) even for local/regional news standards.

Off topic, but Ray and Mike were definitely the “Hendo & Kenny” (ie, the best news/sports presenters the market has ever seen) of Newcastle/Northern NSW! :slight_smile:

Probably.

It’d be rather interesting to see how WIN News is rating in the Illawarra market these days, almost two years after the affiliation switch and about 17 months after the launch of Nine News Illawarra.

2 Likes

He’s no Rob Brough :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ray Dineen was good, but Mike was a pretty average presenter… I found his delivery to be very monotone, and it was very obvious he was reading straight from the autocue.

1 Like

I guess its like Brian Henderson on National Nine News in Sydney from 1957 through to 2002 (weeknight presenter from 1964 to 2002) , its like a tradition

2 Likes

Yes, probably more the tradition and longevity more so than any perceived greatness in a technical sense.

But he is just a regional presenter, so “Hendo” levels of polish and execution are a bit unrealistic and unfair.

1 Like

I only gave that example to illustrate the longevity, not necessarily the same standard. Being at the same network for that long in the current environment is a rare event.

But @Radiohead, I do accept your point of view

1 Like

Oh I wasn’t intending to suggest you were comparing in technical sense.

My comment was more so in relation to other posts further above.

Do not compare that ex-home and away actor to Geoff Phillips.

Denis Walter was better than all of them.

1 Like

NSW Budget coverage in Canberra bulletin:

2 Likes

Looking back on old Perth bulletins uploaded to YouTube, who had a green screen set until 2011/12. Under WIN ownership, they were able to do wide “studio” shots like the start of the first recording, and an opening presenter zoom in the second recording at 0:26. If WIN were capable of doing this for their Perth bulletin back in the late-2000s, what in the world are they doing in the present day at Woolongong?

Current technology would surely make things like this a breeze compared to 10 years ago. All of their production is at Woolongong, surely they could whip something up (or have the company that made the current backdrop do it for them) to give them an opening and closing wide shot.

3 Likes

This is back in the days where STW9 was purchased by WIN Corporation in 2007. The dots weren’t reinstated on that day in 14/1/2008 due to ownership of WIN.

1 Like

Their blue screen had a grid which enabled them to move their cameras around while the virtual set was digitally anchored to the grid. It existed before WIN purchased STW.

12 Likes

Firstly, fantastic studio photo! Always interesting to see inner workings BTS.

Secondly, I wonder why WIN never adopted this technology they possessed and which worked to at least their flagship studios in Wollongong. Even today something like this would make just that little bit more of a difference. Heck, it would even be interesting to see Nine make a regional CGI set (would likely benefit over RVIC’s broom closet).

5 Likes

Things didn’t always go to plan as seen below. Reminiscent of Nine’s local backdrops!

Not sure. I thought they would have jumped at the chance to make their bulletins back east look a bit more polished. I do like WIN’s current and previous sets. For virtual sets they’re well designed.

5 Likes

The current set is a healthy (and long awaited) evolution from the previous one. Gone is the animated fake timber! Though very lazy leaving the old set (and opening graphics + watermark) for AAN. They just need the one wider shot of the weather screen (the shot with the weather screen on an angle is just strange).

They have a generic background for all bulletins. Ffs build a real set. It gets used enough to warrant it.

I don’t know if its true but i heard that WIN’s News isnt live? Its pre recorded? Is…or was this true?

An updated graphic package for AAN was made at the same time as the current WIN News package. Not sure why it hasn’t been put to air further down the line. The intro is in the same style as the old Nine inspired package, except with the new logo gradient and the new intros for each region. Nothing exciting.

As of last year, every WIN News bulletin out of Wollongong is now pre recorded. The Illawarra bulletin was the last live bulletin out of Wollongong.
Newsreaders begin reading story intros from 1pm, which are then sliced together into the appropriate bulletins.

Thanks for the info. Do you know why they are pre recorded?