What station am I listening to?

I’ve been listening to quite a bit of 2CA (ahead of a planned move to Canberra in the next year or so with my partner) and I have to say it’s quite good especially compared to WSFM/Smooth. I think in terms of programming/announcers it’s where Nine Radio should aim at.

Jukebox Saturday Night went a bit too old for me when I was listening (and because the same songs have been included in Cities Skylines radio stations so I was too familiar with them). I did switch to Mix which is very noticeably more modern focused and is what I was listening to when I was in Canberra last (I did not know about 2CA at that point).

Good to know that I have a direct replacement for 2UE (on AM and DAB+) when my partner and I do move.

5 Likes

I agree that 2CA is different to WS/Smooth in a good way, in that it plays more from the 60s & 70s. 6iX in Perth is similar to 2CA, which is not surprising, considering they’re sister stations.

2GN from Goulburn & XLFM (formerly 2XL) from Cooma are also worth a listen, but you can’t really get them in Canberra, especially when the former eventually converts to FM. They’re also owned by the same company that owns 2CA & 6iX, but are musically quite different to those two, in that it focuses more on the 70s to the 90s.

As it just so happens, Lava now has the playlists for 2CA & 6iX.

2 Likes

You should consider Bungendore :). Close enough to Canberra with a country lifestyle, and both 2GN and XLFM are strong here. You also get Canberra DAB on a decent radio. And if you like a cold climate, it’s usually a degree or two cooler than Canberra, particularly in summer.

I prefer the 80s and 90s based mix that XLFM and 2GN have- but that’s purely because I’m a fan of those decades. 2CA definitely focuses more on the 70s, with a smattering of 60s and 80s hits. I’d expect the 80s to take over more and more as this decade progresses; XL will probably go with more 90s and early 00s music (they’re already shifting there imo).

4 Likes

Inphase on SWR it is a great show.

2 Likes

My partner is insistent on being near a city (preferably a capital city) and doesn’t really like country towns. Canberra’s colder weather is exactly what I want.

Plan B is Melbourne.

3 Likes

Bungendore isn’t ultra rural or isolated- it has its own supermarket, butcher, GP etc. Queanbeyan/Fyshwick is only 15-20 minutes away if you want big box retail. Nearly all of Canberra is 40 mins away- no different to living in a middle/outer ring suburb in Syd or Mel.

Back on topic somewhat- I have QBN FM on in the car. A bit of a mixed bag but some programmes are quite good. With the likely easing of COVID-19 restrictions, I’ll be looking at joining 2BRW FM in Braidwood.

4 Likes

My (new) work plays Smooth FM, music isn’t too bad (WSFM Lite) but my word do they love shoving in ads whenever they can.

4 Likes

Smooth 95.3

2 Likes

Well I’ve been back to Blacktown RSL since November 2018 and they’ve made the switch to The 80s iHeartRadio…the place is still empty but!

4 Likes

Although not strictly broadcast radio the local pub has recently switched from a Nightlife Music BGM system to one from Stingray Music (Foxtel Business Music) which features an underwhelming playlist.

I’m not a Foxtel subscriber but I’m of the understanding that the Stingray Music app is available to Foxtel subscribers. Is this the case and if so what’s it like?

4 Likes

Yes it is, and it’s not bad actually.
Here’s a couple of screenshots of their Android App.

Allows you to select via genre or just stream the FOXTEL audio.
Has high quality audio too at up to 320 kbps.
One thing I’ve found is the app is about 3 or 4 songs behind the FOXTEL channel.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what genre they were pumping out but it was an eclectic mix involving modern female pop, 1980s rock B sides and 1970s hit songs.

They were using a dedicated player which I saw in their behind the bar AV rack.

3 Likes

I have tuned into via KiwiSDR: SDR #1 at MarahauSDR #1 at Marahau.

Magic talk 1233 AM from Wellington, the test match. Auckland 702 AM is also an option. I am sure 702 Sydney would fight it as the sun goes down. I’d say that would suffer a lot of interference in most parts of NZ outside of Auckland in the evening.

I know I could listen online but something special hearing it on a “real radio”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just to let people know if people like their countdowns. I am listening to it now on MixCloud. A classic countdown from August 16 1987!

2 Likes

I was just in my regular Barbers and remembered when growing up the old school Barbers I used to frequent would play John Laws on 2UE on an old Sanyo radio. My current one listens to DJ mixes on YouTube streaming via Bluetooth to a Sony Mini System. My how times have changed.

5 Likes

Personally I’d find a new barber :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My local hairdresser has her radio tuned to Easy Music 3MP! At least it’s better in my ears than Nova, KIIS FM and the Fox!

5 Likes

My local hairdresser (me) is tuned in to ROQ FM. :laughing:

4 Likes

Was at Leisure Coast Garden Centre in Fairy Meadow they had Nova 96.9 playing through no less than 10x Sonos Move’s and 2x Sonos Roam’s dotted up throughout the centre (trust me I had time to count them all).

That’s $7,048 (RRP) of speakers too!

7 Likes

Sorry for the late reply… we play this on XS80s

3 Likes