We Interrupt This Broadcast

We Interrupt This Broadcast splits the I do’s and don’ts of sketch comedy

Load up on laughs with We Interrupt This Broadcast, a long-overdue comedy series coming soon to Channel 7 and 7plus.

The biggest new comedy in decades, We Interrupt This Broadcast makes fun of Australia’s favourite (and least favourite) shows. Fall in love at first sketch with MAFS, reject a rose from The Bachelor, squeeze into your Skims with The Kardashians and prepare to declare to Border Security.

Nothing is off limits as We Interrupt This Broadcast reboots and revitalises a long-standing and near forgotten Australian tradition: taking the piss out of everything, including ourselves!

We Interrupt This Broadcast showcases eight of Australia’s most seasoned live performers and versatile comedy talent: Christie Whelan Browne, Bridie Connell, Michelle Brasier, Adele Vuko, Duncan Fellows, Greg Larsen, Ben Russell and Bjorn Stewart, with celebrated screen actors and established comedy performers supporting the ensemble cast throughout the series.

Sounds sketchy? When asked why reality TV and popular culture is so ripe for parody now**,** Duncan declared: “Reality TV is in constant need of parody but to its credit, it does a really good job at parodying itself.” Christie agreed that they’ve “become a parody of themselves”.

Greg divulged: “Because it’s soft when you squeeze it but not so soft that the skin breaks or turns mushy.” Ben added: “I don’t enjoy the word ‘ripe’ and kindly ask you to refrain from mentioning it again!”

We Interrupt This Broadcast is a HELIUM original production for the Seven Network.

1 Like

Interested to see if Seven will run this up against MASF on Tuesday nights when Idol is down to 2 days a week.

1 Like

It’ll be DOA if that’s the case.

3 Likes

It will also be DOA if the new comedy show is up against The Hundred on Tuesday nights.

I think it should air on Wednesday nights, bumping The Front Bar to post-9.30pm.

2 Likes

I’m certainly interested and will watch the pilot, this is the sort of show that grabs me, even if this one’s production values don’t look that flash, but the promos aren’t too bad and I like how they’re also taking a tongue in cheek swipe at their own shows. I like Lawrence Mooney too and he used to be a regular on TFB, maybe they could get him on again for cross-promo.

Also agree with Johnson it’d be best placed around The Front Bar, maybe move TFB to 7:30pm (do single H&A for a bit) and this could be 8:30-ish with that lead-in and similar demographics. Also might be wise due to classification, if the latter show has been produced to an M or MA level, would be fine, TFB is also M (as it’s officially entertainment even though they use the Seven Sport watermark) and for some time now carries the cons advice “Some Coarse Language” (even though I’ve yet to hear an F-word and they couldn’t possibly know as it’s live unless they hand a pre script to a network classifier - probably more a ‘just in case’ warning like what Rove and now HYBPA do).

Front Bar is too important for AFL states and rates too well to bump to 9.30.
Maybe run it first in Syd/Bris then Front Bar.
With the reverse for Mel/Adel/Perth

6 Likes

That could work, they’ve done this successfully before, such as Hey Hey and HP special over two different weeks due to one-off Sunday AFL mid-last year and all combined rated well

Front Bar could start at 9pm, it’s just an extra 30mins later.

MAFS runs until 9pm Monday to Wednesday. That limits the options to avoid MAFS to running at 9pm which seems too late for this sort of show or on Thursday at 7.30pm. Sunday is another possibility when it could run up against 60 Minutes as an alternative.

3 Likes

Gotta say, I didn’t expect to wake up today and discover that The Hundred is a challenge to program against.

8 Likes

7 could try & put the 3 H&A to Wednesday & put this at 7:30 on Thursday if they air it before the AFL starts.

But otherwise Wednesday 7:30pm is most likely the slot

It’s because it’s a locally made comedy panel show and hosted by a well-known comedian, and currently has MAFS as lead-in.

Agreed. We Interrupt This Broadcast would get some good figures particularly in Melbourne if it aired immediately after The Front Bar.

The promos are making me laugh, I reckon if scheduled correctly this show has a chance.

2 Likes

We Interrupt This Broadcast will indeed debut on Tuesday, February 28, according to Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne. She writes that more than 1000 sketches were written for the series with almost 500 being shot and produced. Each episode will feature around 40 sketches.

I’m assuming this will be scheduled after Australian idol?

Idol is down to 2 episodes that week so it is at 7.30pm.

Seven also has a TBA on Saturday at 7pm that I think could be an encore broadcast.

If correct this is a good ratio - I found Open Slather, Comedy Inc and Double Take all had slower paces than that so there’s some hope. I think the biggest hope this show has is appealing to families - which is something none of those other shows did.

That’s a terrible prerequisite for a sketch comedy show

1 Like

How will it rage against Reality Titans MAFS and Survivor? Plus Back in time for the Cornershop is expected to debut around that time.