We Interrupt This Broadcast

Hmm, I might give you those (even though both shows (Big Bite and The Wedge) they were on failed and it was only later ventures that gave them success), I won’t the rest. Point I am trying to make is NO sketch show has been successful since Full Frontal in the late 90’s and launched Eric Bana.

I understand. I don’t think anyone is expecting the runaway success that we saw with Full Frontal or Fastforward. Times have changed.

But my point is… a small show like this can help the local industry. Especially in comedy which is severely lacking on commercial television in this country. It gives people employment, opportunities in front and behind the camera.

Genevieve Morris was also in Comedy Inc. A number of those cast members have worked in comedy and acting since then.

Andrew O’Keefe’s television career started with sketch show Big Bite before he went on to co-host Weekend Sunrise and then host game shows.

The Wedge also featured Adam Zwar (Wilfred), Jason Gann (Wilfred), Kate Jenkinson (Wentworth), Cal Wilson, Julia Zemiro.

2 Likes

I forgot Kennie Live that I believe was commissioned for 7mate?

That’s Kinne Live.

Also Orange Is the New Brown with Nazeem Hussain, Urzila Carlson, Matt Okine, Becky Lucas and Aaron Chen.

Plus there were heaps of ABC sketch comedy shows although not many lasted past one season. Black Comedy was an exception. It had 4 seasons.

1 Like

One advantage (they have in 2023) is the capability for promoting the show on social media and TikTok. A lot of old content for previous sketch shows seem to do the rounds on these platforms.

First trailer aired tonight during The Front Bar, including a send up of The Bachelor.

4 Likes

I reckon Comedy Inc was the closest we’ve had to Full Frontal. Close to 100 episodes over five seasons which is a pretty solid run for a local comedy.

It really hit its stride once they moved it to the 10.30 timeslot and let it run there for quite a while.

7 Likes

Comedy Inc, and Skit house were pretty good.

3 Likes

Ready, sketch, go!

We Interrupt This Broadcast to let you know sketch comedy is back

Get ready Australia, We Interrupt This Broadcast is coming soon to Channel 7 and 7plus.

From the network that brought you Full Frontal and Fast Forward, the biggest new comedy in decades is here.

We Interrupt This Broadcast is a long-overdue comedy series that makes fun of Australia’s favourite (and least favourite) shows.

From MKR to SAS Australia, The Bachelor to MAFS, Stranger Things to Love Island, nothing is off limits as We Interrupt This Broadcast reboots and revitalises a long-standing and near forgotten Australian tradition: taking the piss out of everything, including ourselves!

We Interrupt This Broadcast showcases eight of Australia’s most seasoned live performers and versatile comedy talent: Christie Whelan Browne, Bridie Connell, Michelle Brasier, Adele Vuko, Duncan Fellows, Greg Larsen, Ben Russell and Bjorn Stewart, with celebrated screen actors and established comedy performers supporting the ensemble cast throughout the series.

Need to know more? When asked to summarise the show in three words, Bridie proclaimed We Interrupt This Broadcast to be “unhinged, delightful, silliness”, while Adele declared the series: “Full. Of. Funny people”. Greg accurately surmised that is was a “sketch comedy show”, Ben concluded “Toot, Toot, Toot!”

We Interrupt This Broadcast is a HELIUM original production for the Seven Network

3 Likes

I give it two episodes. Looks absolute garbage.

The first clip above was funny, the second one not so much.

I hope it’s better than the clips suggest :smile: Not the best promos that I’ve seen from Seven.

1 Like

Is this reserved for a 7.30 slot?

I think this show will air on Tuesday nights, once the live shows of Australian Idol start at the end of February.

I’m assuming it only has a 30 minute running time?

Shouldn’t they look (somewhat) like the people they are sending up?

1 Like

Looking forward to this show!

Glad it’s on Seven as i have fond memories of Fsst Forward and Full Frontal - i hope it’s even half as good as those shows were.

1 Like

The promos don’t look too impressive, but I’ll give it a try. Not too optimistic.

1 Like