We Interrupt This Broadcast

Award for the wildest theory on Media Spy goes to… :trophy:

1 Like

I’m not sure what ratings are like with people watching on 7Plus as well but i was hoping it might build an audience somewhat.

The first ep got 62,000 nationally on 7Plus. That compares to 576k for MAFS and 200k for Survivor on the same night.

2 Likes

Where do you find BVOD ratings?

1 Like

From this table:

1 Like

It may just be my strange sense of humour but I found that very funny.

I can’t fault the production values of this show.

But the thing is, I fall into a YouTube hole and watch clips of Fast Forward. And even though Fast Forward was before my time, a lot of the clips I watch still make me laugh. There are some clips which don’t hold up to today’s acceptable standard but there are many funny sketches.

I can’t put my finger on it but there’s part of me that feels the whole show is awkward but then I like parts of it. I don’t want to say it’s over-produced but then it feels it does. But then some of the clips of Fast Forward I watch look like mega productions even though they weren’t. It just seems to sit in this weird space for me.

Not that it would ever happen with the current TV environment in Australia, but it would be interesting to see how this cast worked on a live TV comedy, like - Saturday Night Live in the U.S. for example.

3 Likes

Tonight’s episode ended with no credits and no previews for next week (similar to US dramas on 10). After the MKR skit, it went to a generic Sunrise ad, a newsbreak, a promo for Meghan Trainor’s appearance on Sunrise, and a Mitsubishi ad, before this week’s episode of The Good Doctor began.

The episode wasn’t as funny as last week, but I identified two mini story arcs: a couple daking the pants of the hosts of three reality shows, and Carol trying three times to spruik her product on Lion’s Share.

2 Likes

Just one tweet tonight under the official hashtag that wasn’t from the show itself.

Perhaps it will pick up some Survivor viewers looking for a 7.30 option tonight.

There are more tweets under the show’s full name. Unfortunately, most of them are not positive.

As I was scrolling Tik Tok of all places a video of I think Comedy Inc came up with that guy who played Kochie . Was some joke about sunscreen or something and a guy putting it on while driving crashed his car with his family or something who did wear it or something weird like that. Something about Beretta being a mole in the carpark… generally portraying Kochie as an idiot .

He used to play Kevin Rudd too.

I guess those type of jokes now would be too offensive on We Interrupt .

In those sketches Emily Taheny would play Nat. One sketch that comes to mind has her filling in for Mel and the viewer feedback saying that they preferred her. I think one of the comments asking her and Kochie would have an affair, which Kochie agreed to. The reason I point this out is because the first time I came across that video was when Nat took over from Sam and I thought “Yep, that aged well!” Of course 9 would have had no problem saying that about their rivals.

1 Like

Comedy Ink was original broadcast around 9.30pm… so I’m assuming it had an M clarification rating.

Wasn’t it Comedy Inc?

a800c5eff6

4 Likes

Comedy Inc was M and ran post 8:30. Unfortunately sketch comedy is near impossible to do these days because most of it ends up so watered down for fear of offending people. That is it will now always be a losing battle to make it.

It also doesn’t help that We Interrupt is 60 minutes in length, which makes it twice as difficult to a 30 minute program to maintain interest from viewers.

They need new material. I understand that repeating the same shows each week saves on sets and costumes, but after three weeks of the same shows and jokes, it’s getting tedious.

6 Likes

I had the subtitles on last night and I saw the F-bomb appear during one of the Brochelor skits but the word wasn’t spoken.

From an interview that I listened to with Christie Wheelan Browne, she said that the series was filmed at the end of last year. Presumably if it was filmed in 1 block, everything was probably written at the same time so they probably were running out of ideas. I know people keep mentioning Fast Forward but it did set the benchmark in terms of sketch tv and one of the things that made it work was that each episode was written, filmed and aired in the same week, so it was fresh and topical. Same as Mad as Hell. No doubt it is cheaper to record everything in advance these days. I am still enjoying the show but they do need to parody some other shows to try something new. Too late now to fix things as it’s already been recorded.

2 Likes

Via 7plus. Sounds like he actually says “bugger off”. Maybe this was the original script and they didn’t update the subtitles.

6 Likes

Seems like the ABC is the only one who can do comedy these days or SBS . Most of the shows I watch such as Fisk or Aftertaste … all on the ABC .