Watermarks

Watermark left on into break during Carols by Candlelight.

7 Likes

I agree. The stacked version was much more respectable.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure the Carols OB played out the promo (with the logo burned in) before Presentation cut to the break. It was also live-captioned just like the rest of the broadcast.

2 Likes

Worst use of a promotional watermark? :smiley:


6 Likes

I say no deal. :joy:

2 Likes

Update w/m with date

4 Likes

Seven’s November 1999 watermark with the Telemall Shopping logo

4 Likes

Now Sports 4k (Hong Kong) had a Xmas theme on their logo during an EPL match over Xmas.

6 Likes


Nine’s stacked Olympics watermark in 2011

6 Likes

Interesting that Premier League provides world feeds in both HD and 4K. It’s a shame that Optus Sport’s telecast is only available in HD.

2 Likes

Was this the last year Nine did Sydney NYE? I remember Richard Wilkins presenting a lead-up show, ‘best of 2011’ or something, I recall a music one and I think JLo’s “On The Floor” hit featured.

2 Likes

The History Channel watermark, circa 1998:

2 Likes

2012 was the last year. 1996 host Catriona Rowntree and Jason Dundas were the presenters

1 Like

WIN opted out of the concert in

WIN opted out of the concert in between the family and midnight fireworks for a 20 year old random movie I’ve never heard of, and don’t remember seeing on TV again.

Think it also took them about 15 minutes or so to cover-up Nine’s watermark.

2 Likes

LOL sounds about right!

1 Like

While WIN’s effort at plastering are numerous and well documented, Fox Footy Channel circa early 2000s takes the cakes in terms of scrubbing any mention of another network, in this case Channel 7. Any visual reference to 7 Sport was either plastered or obscured in some way; watermark, scoreboard graphics, wipe transitions, you name it.
This was most obvious during replays from the 1999 season, as that’s when 7 Sports’ AFL graphics package was at its most self-serving & obnoxious…

5 Likes

Don’t let WIN see this and get any ideas! :joy:

There were a few they missed/couldn’t cover up, such as at 2:20 with the wipe.

Yeah, that one I think they let go to the keeper, otherwise you’d miss the action as they quickly came back from the replay. So there was some thought put into it.
Anything else I put down to technology and resources of the day; this was back when Fox Footy were using 10’s graphics package, for example, which I think is where the spinning AFL wipe came from.

2 Likes

I think these AFL masters (majority analogue?) with the original broadcaster’s watermark remained until around 2006, from around 2007 (with the new deal) Seven and Ten’s games at least were watermarkless when their rival’s appeared on theirs during news sport reports of footy talk shows, same when encored on Fox Sports. Probably also coinciding with digital, widescreen and HD starting to take full effect. You can still see evidence of all of this today when Seven show footage from Ten’s (2002-2006 and 2007-2011 packages), their own various packaged or when Foxtel show any.

Although I did notice one of the early 2000s GFs with the Lions managed to have Ten’s watermark missing (like a completely clean/new sourced feed - AFL Films?) when Seven aired it a few months ago on GF eve as part of the overnight ‘marathon’, which I thought was surprising and commented at the time.

1 Like