Watermarks

The “Santa Hat” PRG/watermark is back on Ten:

11 Likes

Love it

3 Likes

Of course, Ten has been doing this sort of thing for a few years now:

Seven has also added a Santa hat to its watermark in the lead-up to Christmas before (although they didn’t do it last year IIRC):

6 Likes

Optus Sport has also added a Santa hat to its watermark during its Premier League coverage last weekend.

1 Like

I remember them doing that, why have they stopped the last few years? Gotta love the Santa hat, getting into the festive spirit during most programs at Christmas time.

1 Like

The Santa hat isn’t on the watermark on The Project.

I’m guessing the santa hat will only be on pre-recorded shows, and not news/sport/live content.

2 Likes

Watermarks aren’t really used to show which channel you’re on, they’re a legal form of ownership. It marks where the footage has come from, so that it can be easily tracked back. If a video or still gets distributed elsewhere, you know where it’s come from. I would say it goes back to trying to stop VHS video piracy - have you ever had a video that wasn’t quite right?
We pretty much have the Olympics to thank for that too, they’ve got rules saying that if you broadcast their content, you must watermark it.
Outside of ownership, it also has the added benefit of showing when other channels are using your content - that’s why sport bugs have been moved to the top corners, so that they’re not obscured during news broadcasts.
It’s not a matter of convenience for the viewer… even though that might be a side effect.

3 Likes

For some reason, on Nine’s repeat screening of the George Michael special, the Nine watermark is in the top right of screen, but HD is on the bottom right.

Go figure

Meanwhile, on NBN, there is no HD watermark at all.

8 Likes

It got moved, but this was only there for a few seconds and there is now no HD watermark at all.

6 Likes

Nine have acquired the Seven watermark gremlins.

Why does it need to be in the top right, which usually always signifies (with colour) sport telecast?

Hence, me thinks it may actually just be a “9” logo pasted onto the program (from previous times), thus couldn’t move it, so moved HD? One theory.

2 Likes

Watermark for live coverage on ONE in Brisbane

Watermark for next morning’s encore screening

9 Likes

That watermark goes back to around May 2011, when Ten still had the AFL!

Also when the logo changed and Murdoch started stuffing the network up, including changing ONE to entertainment, ditching AFL and dropping programs / staff.

1 Like

12 Likes

Continued throughout the 3 hour broadcast

4 Likes

That’s interesting as I recall the earliest appearance of the original 7 Sport watermark was at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. The logo was top left on screen for those Olympics. They then started using it for AFL around this time but it was top right of screen.

7 Likes

9 Likes

Currently in New York. On Adult Swim, they sometimes show ads instead of the logo.
Please to God, let this never happen in Australia.

20171221_234348

9 Likes

This is disgusting!!

WIN will have picture in picture - a feed of GOLD will now take up the space where mappy once was

3 Likes