Watermarks

WIN coverup on the first cricket match broadcast in HD on Nine in February 2008:

8 Likes

How could Bruce approve that coverup???

You can still see the 9 dots underneath it when you look closely.

Needs to be opaque. /s

7 Likes

I do miss the old “fan” logo. Much like the WWOS logo, it wouldn’t need any “sport” wording to accompany it.

I’ve always found it strange (I know it’s long-running), but especially recent years.

Nine’s Wide World of Sports…

Yet compared to Seven Sport slate, it’s not that “wide” at all :wink:

•Cricket
•NRL

vs.

•Australian Open
•AFL (plus state leagues)
•Olympics
•Commonwealth Games
•Melbourne Cup
•Golf

1 Like

Seven still in front but you missed a couple from Nine. Also de-Melbournised a couple for you.

7 Likes

What?

Australian Open & Melbourne Cup?

I’ve heard of neither referred to as anything else.

The former is the biggest international sporting event Australia holds annually.

And yes, I missed some minor sports. Only reason I included golf, was because it’s international.

Also forgot this year’s RLWC (also Seven).

But they carry more horse racing and tennis than those two Melbourne-based events.

4 Likes

The HD watermark appeared on the bottom right of the screen instead of next to Nine’s logo during the tea break of today’s cricket.

1 Like

Got ya

1 Like

Nine carries NRL state leagues too (in Queensland), but curiously that’s absent from your HSV-7 Press Release.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise.

Obviously I left out lots of sports that aren’t as major for both. Relax, I was just making a tongue-in-cheek (and valid) point about the slogan “Wide World Of Sports”.

Of which, also doesn’t roll of the tongue as well, like Ten Sport and Seven Sport.

Nine briefly showed the Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate before losing the rights to Seven in 2013

2 Likes

SCTV in Tasmania is watermark-less…

3 Likes

WIN in their wisdom this evening have decided to leave their silly green WIN ONE watermark on the tv for the F1 highlights, it means that is in the bottom left and the usual ONE logo is in the top right. Words cannot describe this stupidity.

5 Likes

As is SCTV in Darwin and SA.

3 Likes

The WIN watermark is the worst

1 Like

This WIN Olympics watermark in 2010 was more distracting to watch during the cricket.
This is the most stupid watermark that WIN designed that logo since it took Ten affiliation July 2016.

6 Likes

The first few months of Ten Affiliation were fine, it was from about December when the Big Bash started that the monstrosity arrived. I was hoping it was only for the cricket, I couldn’t believe they’d do something like that for all programming. It also took a while to realise that they weren’t going to fade it out and it wasn’t a RPG.

4 Likes

The first pic is the worst watermark on Australian TV

The WIN Sport Watermark they used in 2006.

The WIN News Watermark during ACA
The NBN over Channel 9 Watermark.

11 Likes