Watermarks

Isn’t this the exact reason networks put their channel logo on the screen during a show though? You shouldn’t have to fiddle around with your remote to know what channel you are on. This would be more for the elderly though and other people who may not be as clever as us to be able to figure out what channel your TV is on…

Aren’t the program return graphics and station promos enough to let let the viewer know what station they are watching?

Watermarks have only been used for around twenty years. We somehow managed without them for the first 30-40 years of television in this country. I still find them an annoying distraction and go out of my way to source clean copies of premium television drama to enjoy without the smudge in the corner. The introduction of watermarks on the old “Movie Network” pay tv channels was the reason I ditched that service and I absolutely refuse to watch WIN when I’m in regional areas because of the OTT watermark.

I’m surprised watermarks would be such an issue for you, Mitchell. I thought you only ever watched one channel?

8 Likes

Easy to know what channel you’re watching just by the content and by the buttons you pressed to get there. If you don’t know then being digital it’s only a button away to get the guide and the channel information or the ad breaks and PRG’s as mentioned will also tell you. There’s no need for the watermarks and certainly no need for them to be so huge and distracting. The first watermark we ever had was the one in the 90’s, a tiny little WIN logo in the top right hand corner. Barely noticeable and worked fine on analogue where it was harder to work out the channels due to no EPG and manual tuning with no indication where in the band you actually were. The ABC later had a 3 in the corner for their VHF service in our area which was just to advise you were on the service which would be turned off soon. Other than that, we all coped with knowing which channel we were on.

3 Likes

What if you turn it over mid-program when you are channel surfing? Plus I like seeing the Seven watermark all the time, reminding me of my favourite network…

I agree that watermarks aren’t really necessary in this day and age with Digital TV and EPGs.

But standard programing watermarks have been used on Australian TV long enough (I was very young when the first watermarks were introduced to general programing on metropolitan free to air TV) that I don’t really have too many issues with them if they only have the station logo and aren’t too large or intrusive.

The more prominent branding on news and sport are annoying but somewhat understandable, but those In-Program Promotional “Watermarks” that have become really popular on Australian TV in recent years are a real disgrace. Nine and Ten are probably the worst offenders, with Seven’s “efforts” only being slightly better by most of theirs being transparent.

Why am I not surprised by this comment?

2 Likes

If people don’t know what station they’re watching, they’re probably not actually going to care. Most people away from this site (and I know many will find this extremely hard to believe) actually watch the TV for the show and not the logo, watermark, channel etc… They will flick through and find a show that looks interesting and watch that whichever channel it is on.

2 Likes

Yeah, but wouldn’t some viewers get annoyed with some networks and how they just over do it with promotions and whatnot with the watermark?

Excuse me while I vomit

15 Likes

At least Australia (except for a few sports events) isn’t as bad as Canada where huge pop up commercials appear mid-program.

10 Likes

Sorry, yeah, they do. I was meaning with my post that the watermarks are not really needed and if they are they certainly don’t need to be over the top but yes, when they’re too big (e.g. WIN) then the average person does notice and they will avoid that channel. It’s brand recognition but not in a good way that you want.

4 Likes

I always think of watermarks as a ‘mark your territory’ device, like a 24/7 promotion in a way.

Also for programs like Gogglebox, which re-broadcast networks’ content.

As well as acting as a quick ID, for those channel swimming and not paying attention to the EPG.

7 Likes

It must be hard being away from home and forced to watch a TV that is tuned to receive more than one channel.

Sitting there watching a fantastic, entertaining programme and then suddenly…oh my god…was I watching…NINE!!! :scream::scream::scream:

7 Likes

11 Likes

Wasn’t the first one “prime” in the top-right corner (in 1989 I think, when regional aggregation started)?

3 Likes

That’s the first one that I can remember used for regular programming

First by a metro network was Seven

13 Likes

Yeah, not sure as we never had Prime, WIN was the first one we had in Tassie and that wouldn’t have been until after 1994 when WIN came and took over TasTV about 6 months after aggregation.

1 Like

Question: Is that photo Jurassic Park? So Seven actually originally had the rights before Ten & now they’ve had it again the last 7 years (probably on Nine soon).

1 Like

Yes, I believe Seven had the Australian FTA premiere of Jurassic Park in November 1996.

Although the cap posted by TV Cynic above was probably from a 1999 repeat of the same movie.

2 Likes

Being originally from Newcastle I can always remember Prime being the first station in the area to have a watermark. I can also remember when Jurassic Park first premiered on free to air there’s was something in the promotion of the film in the week leading up to it being called ‘Jurassic Week’. Can anyone else remember that?

1 Like

GWN’s first watermark was very similar to this. Same position, size and slightly embossed too. Surprising as Prime had already purchased the network by then.

1 Like