Vocabulary

Had a random epiphany, but intrigued…

What word would you use in almost every conversation in a given day?

And what word would you most likely not even speak in a week?

‘And’

There’s plenty of words I don’t use for weeks/months/years on end.

What about…vexatious…can’t say I’ve used that in a while.

4 Likes

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

It’s a supposed lung disease

1 Like

Are you able to name one of these? I’m interested.

From memory I didn’t use the word Disestablishmentarianism once in 2007.

7 Likes

“A” “The” “And”

I’ve been working with men of construction recently, so my regular-use lexicon has become a bit fruity - but luckly I can balance that with some buzzword bullshit talking to people about strategy, hollistically has got a good run over the past week or so

Been a while since i’ve used the word doyen - I can never find a good opportunity to drop that into a bit of prose

3 Likes

And probably the intervening period up until today - shame you’ve had to break that streak

2 Likes

Taking the piss would seem a logical phrase so far with this thread :expressionless:

2 Likes

Do you work on one of the construction projects i’ve been working with? Thats a favourite

3 Likes

Haven’t used perspicacity for a while.

Meanwhile, take a squiz or is it a butche’s at this. You may find interesting.

2 Likes

Use far too much every day

• how

Can’t remember ever using

• thus
1 Like

3 Likes

“Goblin mode” — a slang term referring to “a type of behavior which is unapologetically self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy, typically in a way that rejects social norms or expectations” — has been named Oxford’s 2022 Word of the Year.

1 Like

Can’t say I’ve heard that being used in 2022.

2 Likes

Well you have now - I have been in goblin mode pretty much ever since I took a redundancy in July.

1 Like

I think it’s a great term to describe this stage of the ratings year - TV network programming is definitely in goblin mode.

1 Like

I think you can say that for the whole year pretty much - free to air TV isn’t what it used to be.