Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST)

Sad news, but since the commercial channels do the same thing, I can’t imagine the impact will be that big. I actually thought this is what SBS would have done to free up space for Viceland HD, back when they culled the SBS SD services. Might happen now.

4 Likes

I just re-read the help article. For some reason, it looks as though SA is going to get the Queensland feeds of ME and Comedy/Kids. Why don’t they just use the South-East feeds so SA only needs to adjust by 30 minutes “all year round” like the NT? Way too complicated making viewers adjust “30 minutes earlier during winter, 30 minutes later during summer”

6 Likes

At least VAST viewers still have the ABC’s main channel on the correct timezone + with relevant 7pm news all year round, unlike Foxtel satellite viewers who only have access to a national version of the ABC’s main channel.

If it’s at all possible, I personally think VAST should only carry the HD versions of ABC, SBS, Viceland and World Movies. Don’t know how commonly the ABC/SBS channels on VAST are used for terrestrial retransmissions, but surely all at-home receivers are capable of receiving HD channels?

1 Like

Only Viceland is still in SD. The rest are in HD as expected.

Some self help sites were using VAST for SBS retransmission since inception, but after speaking to a techie who maintains a portion of them in WA, SBS made sure all self helps were using D1 instead of VAST before culling SBS SD. So today there should be no terrestrial retransmissions of SBS from VAST. I’m pretty sure it’s the same for ABC, too.

2 Likes

Is there a reason why retransmission services are separate to VAST? On the face of it, comes across as a waste of resources and money

1 Like

I think the costs of the transmission site equipment is what makes the VAST platform a bad choice for broadcasters to use. ABC and SBS (and Nine too) currently use DVB-S2X which is a next generation tech that can squeeze way more into a single frequency. It looks like ABC only uses one frequency on Optus D1 to deliver 6 state’s worth of channels. That’s pretty efficient! And the muxes are already built, so no decryption or remuxing at a site level at all.

Compare that with using VAST and well, the complications can be seen in regional WA with the lack of ability to use MPEG-4 properly and issues with stat muxing. Plus, networks can’t monitor what each site is inevitably outputting.

I think VAST should only be a direct-to-home service with DVB-S2X for transmission sites. Or, maybe a VAST 2.0 with encrypted DVB-S2X in the future?

6 Likes

I’m guessing because it’s more appealing to the public as a VHF/UHF antenna is cheaper than a dish & satellite decoder combo.

ABC has just opted for ‘ABC Comedy/Kids’ and ‘ABC ME’ without state or area abbreviations for their new combined Qld/NT/SA channels. I wish all of the broadcasters did this. I prefer cleaner, shorter channel names on-screen.

I think he was talking about VAST versus other satellite methods, not VAST versus terrestrial in general.

1 Like

This new ABC channel for Foxtel is also available on VAST for some reason? Named “ABC National” on Ch 299 and it’s in SD. Weird seeing as all ABC’s are already available in HD…

Also, some other updates:

• New radio channel Aussie Flashbacks on Ch 665. More info
  • Niche Radio on Ch 613-616 has ceased.
4 Likes

Flipping quickly through the budget papers last night I saw that VAST scored some funding (but deemed not for publication)

3 Likes

A quick rejig to the news channels I’d like to see. Minimal interruption with WIN News start times remaining the same or how they used to be.

401 WIN News Cairns/Townsville
402 WIN News Rockhampton/Sunshine Coast/Toowoomba
403 WIN News Wollongong/Canberra
405 WIN News Bendigo/Gippsland
406 WIN News Ballarat/Shepparton
407 WIN News Tasmania
408 Nine News Victoria/SNSW
409 Nine News Queensland/Darwin

409 would probably have to air Queensland twice to allow for the half hour delay in getting the bulletins to air after they finish on the parent channel.

6.30pm Nine News Local Queensland
7.05pm Nine News Local Queensland
7.40pm Nine News Darwin
8.45pm Nine News Local Queensland
9.20pm Nine News Darwin
10.25pm Nine News Local Queensland
11.00pm …

6 Likes

A quick flick over to WIN news Ballarat on my VAST satellite box and surprisingly there was a Renmark ad among all the Victorian ones

4 Likes

SBS has amalgamated some channels and upgraded SBS VICELAND to HD.

Ch no. Old New
3,30 SBS HD NSW SBS HD SE
3,30 SBS HD VIC
3,30 SBS HD TAS
3,30 SBS HD SA
3,30 SBS HD QLD SBS HD QLD&NT
3,30 SBS HD NT
3,30 SBS HD WA SBS HD WA
31 SBS VICELAND SE SBS VICELAND HD SE
31 SBS VICELAND SA
31 SBS VICELAND QLD SBS VICELAND HD QLD&NT
31 SBS VICELAND NT
31 SBS VICELAND WA SBS VICELAND HD WA
32 SBS World Movies HD SBS World Movies HD
33 SBS Food SBS Food
34 NITV NITV

I reckon ABC and SBS should just adopt “South” and “North” to identify their ‘multi-state’ channels, just like the commercials.

8 Likes

Budget cuts at the multicultural public broadcaster? Although at least SBS rarely if ever has significant local programming differences unlike the commercial networks.

On a positive note, it’s good to see that SBS VICELAND has finally been upgraded to HD for VAST viewers.

Yeah, I agree.

2 Likes

Timezone differences could be a reason why not just North/South.

I think each state also get different ads, even in NSW, Sydney gets different ads to the rest of NSW.

Imparja North covers Qld and NT timezones just like SBS HD QLD&NT. I’m just saying they should use the word North instead of state abbreviations to make it look cleaner and consistent.

4 Likes

My idea of what VAST Regional News should look like post-July 1.

Ch. Bulletin(s)
4 Regional News Menu
401 Seven News Cairns
Seven News Townsville
402 Seven News Mackay
Seven News Rockhampton
403 Seven News Wide Bay
Seven News Sunshine Coast
Seven News Toowoomba
404 PRIME7 Local News NSW Nth Coast
PRIME7 Local News Tamworth
405 PRIME7 Local News Orange
PRIME7 Local News Wagga
PRIME7 Local News Albury
406 PRIME7 Local News Updates NSW/Vic
407 Nightly News 7 Tasmania
Nightly News 7 Spencer Gulf
408 News Updates 7 Darwin/Central
News Updates 10 Qld/NSW/Vic
409 Nine News Darwin
410 WIN News Queensland
WIN News NSW
411 WIN News Wollongong
WIN News Canberra
412 WIN News Victoria
WIN News Tasmania
413 NBN News Gold Coast
NBN News Lismore
414 NBN News Coffs Harbour
NBN News Tamworth
415 NBN News Newcastle
NBN News Central Coast
4 Likes

When you put it like that, funny how NBN will then be producing the same number of “bulletins” as WiN despite a much smaller audience. Though NBNs consist mostly of Nine News content.

2 Likes

Wasted no time… couldn’t say the same thing 5 years ago…

16 Likes

Will be interesting to see what the lineup on each channel is, as it looks like the statewide WIN News bulletins are still custom to each region to some degree.

9 Likes