Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST)

Except with some of those logos :joy:

Although the NBN News logo is so old it’s new again! (well, the font is at least) :joy:

3 Likes

The one they’ve got for WIN would be older (2006).

7 Local News dates back to 2004, so not quite!

4 Likes

That NBN News logo has been around since 1994 (aside from the brief dotless logo from 2006-2008).

‘Same’ in terms of dotty and typeface, but those graphics for the logo specifically was not on there in 1994, 2004 possibly.

2 Likes

What an awful waste of channels - surely combine them

5 Likes

I know hey. They again didn’t take the opportunity to downsize this service.

2 Likes

Other than WIN (and maybe NBN), you could combine the remainder into single channels per provider and not really lose anything

4 Likes

You know, I really feel for viewers in Remote Central & Eastern Australia now. It is literally the worst market in Australia in terms of channel choice and HD availability. Every single market except RCEA offers at least one or two recent multi-channels as well as 9HD and 10HD.

VAST is quickly becoming the old Aurora/RABS service as the years tick by. Aurora was a modern digital platform offering analog-style TV. Similarly, VAST East is an even more modern digital platform offering prehistoric digital TV. Whatever state of the art tech is available to remote viewers is never utilised to carry state of the art services.

12 Likes

Maybe that’s what those services on 12446 V are supposed to be? An upgrade to VAST?

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=12446&liste=1&live=87&lang=en

2 Likes

Would be nice. Not sure what they were for but certainly not VAST. Probably some high roller on a boat who wanted their local TV or something and did a deal with Optus lol.

2 Likes

Provider name for the Sydney-based services (including audio of Triple J & Triple M) is “Harmonic” compared to the others which seem to be from the networks. Any clues?

1 Like

Looking at it again, the mix of services suggests it’s probably just Optus testing things. There’s a range of MPEG-4, HEVC, SD, HD, even NBN News channel is on there. Can’t imagine any of it would be used as an actual bouquet for someone to watch. I could be wrong though :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That looks like it’s the company who provides the kit: https://www.harmonicinc.com/cable-access/

On their website they only advertise cable, but if you look around the internet it seems they do satellite too: -- Satellite provider SES, in partnership with Harmonic and Broadcom,… | Archives | Cablefax

I thought it might be VAST because it’s all FTA channels they’re testing with and because of the NBN News Channel (those are VAST only right?).

2 Likes

Yep.

I think it might be HEVC testing - Lyngsat hasnt been updated and back in November the same mux had a different set of channel (including more Foxtel ones)

https://www.lyngsat.com/muxes/Optus-10_FNANZ_12447-V.html

4 Likes

Could you get two VAST traveler’s decoders and run them at the same time (e.g. one WA and one VIC) in Victoria?

1 Like

So the LCN’s on my VAST box auto updated to these new names but the guide is all wrong

:man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I thought the Fox Footy and Fox League channels on that transponder might be the venue feeds with the beer glass watermark. Haven’t confirmed though obviously.

Yeah but I doubt you’d be able to use the same name, contact details and reason for travel for both boxes.

One good thing about VAST is that it uses the same satellite polarisation for all channels. This means that you only need one dish and one cable for as many boxes as you like. You can piggy back each one, like you’d do with terrestrial if you wanted more than one box. This also means if you have a dual-tuner set-top box you can also just use one cable, unlike Foxtel which requires splitters, dual LNB’s, multi-switches and wall plates with a hundred sockets.

3 Likes