Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST)

7 Likes

Yes, Harmonic is the manufacturer of the encoders they’re using.

I do remember hearing that Optus we’re testing local insertion of ads on VAST so that the east coast and Norfolk Is don’t get Alice Springs ads anymore on Imparja. Apparently it was working well, but I haven’t heard anything further about it for months. I wonder if some of these channels could be related.

5 Likes

Does the Western Australia VAST signal even beam towards Victoria?

I was of the impression that the satellite beams are only beamed in certain directions as required, much like with directional terrestrial AM, FM and TV transmitters.

Curious - what’s the difference between Ch 410 and 411 content wise?

Channel 410 is for 10 Tasmania, 7 Darwin and 7 Central updates.
Channel 411 is for Nightly News on 7 Tasmania and Nightly News on 7 Spencer Gulf bulletins.

4 Likes

Full coverage of Australia like the rest of the transponders. Allows them to shift services around if needed.

5 Likes

Yes it does, I remember in the days before Foxtel had the rights to all games in every round of the AFL some sports pubs had a Aurora (predecessor of VAST) satellite dish and were able to screen games not on Foxtel and not shown live on Seven or Ten in Victoria. These matches were screened live via SC Seven Central and GWN7. This was in the days when SC Seven Central aired Ten’s AFL matches in the absence of a Ten afflilate, they used to show every Brisbane Lions game live (they don’t anymore, SC Central now screens the same matches as Seven in Victoria) and games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons played in Melbourne were shown on Ten and Seven respectively in Victoria on delay. I used to go to a pub that does this, and cringe at the low production value ads for farm machinery, sheep drench, local businesses etc! As a Lions fan I was a regular when these matches were on.

7 Likes

Seems like a waste of bandwidth to have three separate channels for SCA 10 Local News Updates.

Given that these things only run for a minute or two (so theoretically at least, you could run across all three states in 15-30 minute blocks), surely it’d be better to have all three states worth of updates on the same channel?

These sports pubs (presuming that they were outside the intended coverage area for Southern Cross/Seven Central & GWN7) probably were getting these satellite transmissions via illegal methods?

2 Likes

(1) in some areas quite possibly
(2) the sports pub I went to was in a TV blackspot area of Melbourne. But I think if you get VAST/Aurora legally you’re only allowed one market (either Remote Central, or Western Australia depending on where you are). Nowadays they just have Foxtel (the venues version with the beer glass watermark).

2 Likes

This still happens, not only here but in the fringe countries that get the signal. 7 Central still broadcasts games that can’t be seen on GWN7, and vice versa. Usually Fox-produced WA, SA and Qld games.

4 Likes

I’m really happy about VAST updating their regional news services in time for the affiliation swap.
Years ago, VAST were broadcasting the updates for the 9 News Regional bulletins but not the actual bulletins, and you could easily see why. To broadcast all those bulletins, VAST would probably have to add new channel space but because of WIN’s recent axings, they had enough space to broadcast the 9 News Local bulletins once they started up.

2 Likes

I recall even in the current deal it appears that Seven Central follows the Melbourne schedule for AFL but then on 7mate they follow the 7mate Brisbane or Sydney schedule.

So you could get VAST potentially broadcasting different games at the same time on both 7 Central and 7mate. Something you would never seen in a normal metro or regional market.

3 Likes

They favour Adelaide home games on 7mate too.

Prime7 News channel 419 must be the noodle updates
Glad they updated the channel to have SCA 10’s noodle updates as well

2 Likes

Yep, sure is.

SCA always had a dedicated noodle updates channel (410) but I have to say 4 channels for noodles now is a bit much when they wouldn’t even do a channel per Nine News Local when it was on air. They really could remove 5 or 6 channels from this service if they really tried. But something tells me the space they’d save in doing such a thing wouldn’t go towards anything worthwhile.

6 Likes

In other news, 10Bold and 10HD are still sitting in the wrong positions. I have a feeling it will be like this for a long time, as neither WIN nor WDT seem capable of changing LCNs and they know it (hence the custom WA versions of WIN’s changeover promo)

Surely someone can just modify it with ease? Is it a case of WIN not wanting to liase with Optus due to being charged a fee or something?

7 Likes

2 questions:
1 how do I get access to VAST in an area that isnt supposed to get it.
2 will it work by plugging into a foxtel sat socket?

Buy a box, get a travellers rego. needs to be renewed every 6 months

yep

5 Likes

What time do the PRIME7 News updates air on VAST?

Not sure of the exact time, but it would be after 6pm as they only do Evening updates.

2 Likes