Utopia

Has Utopia been removed from Iview? Just went searching for it to catch up and couldn’t find it.

Yes it has.

New season announced for 2023

Set inside the offices of the “Nation Building Authority”, a federal government organisation responsible for overseeing major infrastructure projects, Utopia explores that moment when bureaucracy and grand dreams collide. It’s a tribute to those political leaders who have somehow managed to take a long-term vision and use it for short-term gain.

3 Likes

So glad that a new season of Utopia is happening. Rob Sitch is great in this lead role, and so are the ensemble cast. The was they tease government offices and their policies is hysterical.

1 Like

Great to see Utopia is back.

It will be interesting if Working Dog can use the same office space in Melbourne where they filmed the previous four seasons.

1 Like

They’re back! From the brilliant minds of the Nation Building Authority, a new season of Utopia starts on Wednesday, 7 June, 8pm on ABC TV and ABC iview.’

The eagerly-awaited series heads back to the offices of the Nation Building Authority, a federal government organisation responsible for overseeing major infrastructure projects. Utopia explores that moment when bureaucracy and grand dreams collide. It’s a tribute to those political leaders who have somehow managed to take long-term vision and use it for short-term gain.

The fifth season of the award-winning series sees the beleaguered staff of the Nation Building Authority still trying to get the job done in the face of endless backflips, government interference and ever-shifting priorities. C.E.O. Tony Woodford and his loyal staff are forced to deal with project management teams interested only in talking points. Billion dollars projects announced without a business case or cost-benefit study. Shifting geo-political priorities. Rural road construction held up by a problematic statue. Cyber-attacks and an embarrassing UNESCO report.

Season Five sees Utopia’s all-star comedic cast return, led by Rob Sitch, along with Celia Pacquola, Dave Lawson, Dilruk Jayasinha, Kitty Flanagan, Anthony Lehmann, Emma-Louise Wilson, Nina Oyama, Jamie Robertson, Mike McLeish and Rebecca Massey. Utopia is a comedy for anyone who has been forced to endure bureaucracy – and lived to laugh at the ordeal.

Utopia is written and produced by the award-winning team of Santo Cilauro, Tom Gleisner and Rob Sitch. Michael Hirsh and Deb Herman are Executive Producers. Original Casting by Jane Kennedy. Series Casting by Kate Leonard. The series is directed by Rob Sitch. ABC TV Executive Producers Brett Sleigh and Todd Abbott. A Working Dog Production, in association with ABC.

3 Likes

Breathless with anticipation :grinning:

1 Like

Episode One

Wednesday, 7 June, 8pm

Tony and Scott investigate prolonged delays on a freeway upgrade, while Nat and Ash struggle to engage a newly appointed Assisting Minister. Beverly manages the farewell for an NBA staffer, and the office fridge wreaks technical havoc.

1 Like

I was very impressed with Working Dog for again catering to media enthusiasts and dropping a few carats into the season premier episode that ABC has provided a preview of.

One scene includes watching a YouTube video from a Seven News report from 2016 complete with audio voiced by Nick McCallum. The visuals and audio would have been made for the episode. The graphics for the video look very realistic and Nick McCallum gets a v/o credit. There are a couple of other items involving car radio that are very well done. Incredible attention to detail.

3 Likes
1 Like

Episode 2

Wednesday 14 June 8.00pm

Tony (Rob Sitch) cops media heat for a solar scheme with poor public uptake, and a completed bypass is held up from opening due to some signage for a problematic monument. Patrick (Grant Piro) the accountant torments the office with his stories.

1 Like
1 Like

Episode 3

Wednesday 21 June 8.00pm

The Government stalls on an election promise of the NBA moving to independent status and the office undergoes workplace respect training, complicating a prospective romance between Nat (Celia Pacquola) and a visiting consultant. Tony’s (Rob Sitch) forced to participate in a photoshoot after making the AFR’s Power List.

Production credit: Written and produced by Santo Cilauro, Tom Gleisner and Rob Sitch. Executive Producers, Michael Hirsh and Deb Herman. Original Casting by Jane Kennedy. Series Casting by Kate Leonard. Directed by Rob Sitch. ABC TV

1 Like

Not much of anything new I really feel the show has come back at the wrong time , it’s not as funny as it was during the first few seasons ther I saw. Hope it picks up though.

Fake program promos from last night’s episode.

2 Likes

Episode 4

Wednesday 28 June 8.00pm

Jim (Anthony Lehmann) ups security measures while trying to sway the outcome of tenders for a major international partnership and Nat’s (Celia Pacquola) infuriated by her new assistant who has her sights set on greater heights. The whole office is challenged by a visiting group of school kids with expertise on green energy initiatives.

Episode 5

Wednesday 5 July 8.00pm

Tony’s (Rob Sitch) frozen out by the Minister when he’s reluctant to announce an ambitious new project, and the NBA comes under scrutiny by UNESCO over the Great Barrier Reef’s endangerment status.
Meanwhile Scott (Dave Lawson) starts an NBA TikTok account, and the Diversity and Inclusion team identify a potential issue with Tony’s office artwork.

Episode 6

Wednesday 12 July 8.00pm

Jim (Anthony Lehmann) and Rhonda (Kitty Flanagan) force Tony (Rob Sitch) to fast track a long-term regional rail project, and Nat goes the wrong kind of viral for a problematic photo. Ash (Dilruk Jayasinha) investigates a recurring charge on the company account, while adjusting to his new e-scooter.

I haven’t been impressed at all with this season it’s basically the same
Old thing rehashed. Maybe it’s me (and I have worked in offices with all the bullshit this show manages to put in humorous ways) but it’s all basically the same. I think I’ll give it one more chance but if it can’t make me laugh or at least get a decent smile or a haha moment .
Comparing it how it was great in season 1 and 2 was so much better .

I don’t think it’s any worse than earlier episodes. It’s like more of the same with up to date references. I have worked in an office and can very much relate to everything going on in Utopia.

5 Likes

Some of it feels really laboured - doesn’t help they seem to be trying to drag out the same tropes.

1 Like

Episode 7

Wednesday 19 July 8.00pm

A security consultant creates stress by leveling up the NBA’s cyber safety, and Nat faces the consequences of an inept employee.

Jim (Anthony Lehmann) lumps Tony (Rob Sitch) with responding to a freight report the Minister’s failed to act upon, in the leadup to the anniversary of its publication.

1 Like